Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Now I am starting to add those little accessory lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Oct 2, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When I had my 53 Olds years ago I started adding all those trunk,underhood,glove box and parking brake warning lights and it looks like I am at it again with my 55 Sunliner. Back when I had the Olds I was getting NOS lights dirt cheap and wish now I would have gotten everyone I could find since those lights for my 55 Sunliner are expensive and that includes used parts. Added a NOS 60s trunk light in the 55 yesterday and now looking to find a old looking underhood light,I put a mid 60s Lincoln glove box light in a couple years ago since a used original was going for around 200 and I got the Lincoln light for 5 dollars. It looks like its going to be a trip to the junkyard saturday to see what I can find that looks old and I think 80s and older GMs have a metal light,the trunk light was a NOS part I got for 10 dollars and seen one on that auction site for over 200 but too late now.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was not going to add all that stuff to this car but since I do take it on long trips after dark those lights are needed,I never did take that 53 Olds on trips at night and the only reason I put them on was I could and the parts were very cheap.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve used these over the years, mainly where I could hide them. Price is right. I’ve also seen them with a full lense.

The link won’t work, but try
    ROUND SNAP-IN LICENSE/UTILITY LIGHT in a search

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My Dad got a trunk light off of some kind of Pontiac back in the 60’s. It also doubled as a trouble light, the cord would reach from the trunk to under the hood. The cord rolled up on a spool in the base which was magnetic. Also had a mercury switch in it, when the trunk closed so far it would cut off, had a manual switch to override that. I’ve never seen another like it. I guess he left it in the car when he traded it off.

chryslerfan55 and Elcohaulic like this.
  6. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Here you on the lights, I experimented with L E D once, First time I hit the lights going down the Road, I thought I was ridin in Freaking Light House. Damn Wind Shield looked like a Mirror, I road home in the Dark with Moon Light.

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I might look into one of those GM lights that also work as a trouble light if there is a place to mount it under the hood,I was going to use one of those simple and small lights that mount on the hood for now. I usually bring a flash light along on trips but its a black Mag light and its hard to find in a dark trunk but the trunk light will help finding it if the need arises.

8. papajohn

papajohn

9. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

I had a 66 Catalina With a wind up trouble/underhood lite, worked like a charm.

rjones35 likes this.
  10. atch

atch

My '92 Chevy pickup has one of those wind-up under hood lights. I imagine that many GM vehicles have them. This information is for just in case you want to look in boneyards for one.

I bought one at a swap meet that I'll be putting in Clarence (see my avatar).

11. topher5150

topher5150

Makes you wonder why GM sold had to offer an underhood trouble light

12. You must be that guy that tiptoes into the den to pull the lion's tail. :rolleyes:

54vicky, Chiss, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  13. topher5150

topher5150

daniel-in-the-lions-den-briton-riviere.jpg

Chiss, chryslerfan55 and belair like this.
  14. atch

atch

I refuse to get into any of the manufacturer preference arguments; I like 'em all.

That being said, I call them convenience lights. I believe that the only times I've ever used mine was to help someone along the highway change a flat tire after dark.

Now back to the original subject please.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think there might be one of those 50s/60s GM underhood/trouble lights around here somewhere,I remember my dad getting one and I know I did not do anything with it but it would be quicker to get another since it might take me a month to find it.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The 'Reely' light!
    My bud Allen had one underhood on his '58 Chev Apache 10? pickup. I built a nice 292 for it (.060" over 283) 10:1 pistons, Corvette cam/solids, and a '57 'Vette 2 X 4 with WCFBs. Allen was 'worried' about his non-stock engine stranding him somewhere at night, but it never did.
    I don't think he ever had the 'Reely' uncoiled, but did light it at the drive-in to show off that pretty engine...
    1960 was a "Corvette Engine Year..."

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had an accessory light under my F100 dash, connected to the door switches. (door buttons were also hooked to a 3 way toggle that got switched to my Caddy horn: Great burglar alarm!)
    On my cool '48 Cad, I had lights under the wheel well flares, showed off the 'Bitchin' '56 Olds Starfire covers...and a switch for a pair of bright 1034 bulbs I could flip after I passed onlookers, under the rear bumper that lit up the detailed white and pinstriped rear axle housing and leaf springs...1034s and sockets came out of a '55 Ford, they were the taillight sockets, wired together...Very bright! Just shone under the car, in the concave of the bumper.
    Got a ticket for the fender lamps, a 'new local ordinance'. 1959, Pre-Silicon Valley.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I found a under hood light that looks old,its off a 90s truck and much cheaper then a original or reproduction. I have seen reproduction under hood lights going for over 40 dollars and grabbed six at the pull and pay for 2 dollars each,got three for me and three for a friend that came along. I am done adding lights on this car

Attached Files:

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its installed and I am done with the lights,we now take these lights for granted but they were optional back then.

Attached Files:

20. Scruffy49

Scruffy49

You should see the one in the garage... headlight in a bracket, with a long cord and a lighter plug. 6 volt no less. Father in law told me a few years ago it was for his 40s Olds convertible. Apparently it liked to have underhood issues at night. Knowing him, no coolant and low on oil...

21. I saved one of those underhood trouble lights from a '93 Olds Cutlass I junked after the transmission went out on it. Figured I would eventually use it on something, probably my '55 Ford.

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Jeff... LOVE that circular 'Dome light' in glove box! Any recollection what that one came out of?

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It came from a mid 60s Lincoln glove box.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a couple of hand held spot lights and my dad had one in the 55 for years but its 6 volts and the car is now 12 volts,I am going to see if I can get 12 volt bulbs for them one of these days.

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

27. Scruffy49

Scruffy49

I have an older one that I use as back up lighting for my OT 4wd. Oval lens, takes 2 H3 style bulbs. I “think” he used it in the 1946 ChrisCraft style cabin cruiser turned shrimp boat... I know, shudder ever time I think about it. Boat got Katrina-fied. Trying to figure out where/how to use the dash plate, running lights and a few other pieces the old guy salvaged. Of course he got “a whole $100” for the 455 Olds that was in it at the time... pickers should be taken out and shot, robbed him blind.