Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a hotrod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by David Knapp, Oct 2, 2018.

1. David Knapp

David Knapp

So you want to build a hotrod {model a} with your own hands and your own ideas ,you find a 1928 frame with title and at another swap meet you score a 1931 body that is in great shape ,what would you do build it or find a 31 frame to match the body ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. The frames are basically identical and you have a title, there are a lot of Model A's with the incorrect year but id it bothers you sell obe or the other. HRP

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I'd prefer that the year model of the body and title match. The body and frame don't care but that DPS officer who pulls you over for a mild infraction might not be too nice if you have the 31 body registered as a 28 and he/she knows the difference.
    Hell, go ask the Texas DMV in one of the state DMV offices and see what they say, there may be a simple solution. I'd give the impression that I had a complete 28 rolling chassis though.

There is a guy around here with a 30/31 cowl and doors with closed car windshield posts on a T bucket frame who always registers the car as a 23 T bucket and will argue it is a 23. I think his concept is that all cars that are built in that style are 23 T no matter what the body started out as though.

4. The Texas police mast be a lot more informed about Model A's if the know the difference in the body styles. HRP

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right on, Danny...Here in the 'hot rod state' of California, if a police officer knows it's a Ford it's a wonder. Progressivism has spread so far, all anyone knows is that:

All cars are now front wheel drive.
    Some Hybrids are preferable.
    Electric cars blow up at a moment's notice.
    New cars are 'safe', but an oil change can 'scan' into thousands of $$$!
    Old cars pollute the planet and children.
    Old cars and trucks are dangerous, especially 'loud ones'...
    A policeman stopped me in my '55 F100, asked what it was...I said "Primered."

6. On Texas police....Not many know any difference.

HOTRODPRIMER and Atwater Mike like this.
  7. Funny story, but if I was the cop and got a smart arse answer like that, I'd be looking to book you for a list of things as long a as I could invent.;)

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Troubles come and troubles go.:) Yes it would be a perfect world if body and chassis matched all pretty like, but think how many 40's, 50's Chevy trucks are on S 10 chassis or bodies on new fabbed chassis out there.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If you were a witch...Would you be a good witch...or a bad witch? :p

10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Samantha was the good witch, her bad witch look-a -like showed more skin. I just watched that show when I was a kid to see the Chevy commercials :po_O

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I like the year of my title to match the body. Model A frames are cheap and easy to find. Get a 30 or 31 with readable numbers. Then bond it thru the state to get a title if it doesnt already come with one.
    BTW, there is a difference between 28/9 and 30/1 front crossmembers. The pad area where the radiator mounts is lower on a 30/1. So if you use a 28/9 frame your radiator will sit higher than it should.

12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Reallly, I was under the impression that the frames were the same from 28-31 and the reason that the 28-29 radiator shell sits up higher if used on a 30-31 body is because it is approximately 2 1/2 " taller than than 30-31 shell.

13. David Knapp

David Knapp

Of course I could always get a title for a 31 and then the paper work would match the body no one would ever know the frame was a 28 , thanks for all the input.

14. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

You might find someone in a similar situation who wants his frame title and body to match.

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The trouble witch was a brunette, and pure trouble. The OP's querry is a lot like Sammy and Serena, a 28 frame and 31 body, basically the same animal. In this state, it wouldn't be an issue. Make sure it isn't in yours and build it.
    upload_2018-10-3_9-43-21.png

16. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yes, the 30/1 radiator/shell is in itself taller than a 28/9. But there is also a difference in the crossmember mounting area.

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

"South Park" did an episode on this. I believe it's called "Smug Alert". A play on smog and their shit don't stink. Funny, none the less.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have the reverse ,a 31 frame and a 28 body. There is a difference in the ft body to frame mounts. Didn't know about the ft cross member.

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The PRIUS episode...a true cinema classic.

Nicholas Coe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And all old hot rods are "roadsters".

21. Slopok

Slopok

Aren't a lot of Model A's on '32 rails that are titled as the year of the body???
    I'm sure none are titled as '32's.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  22. David Knapp

David Knapp

Slopok that is so true , I guess it all depends on the person buying ,selling or building . All facts are you have a cool ride .

23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

keep your eyes peeled at swapmeets for rusty [cheap] A cowls, murry and briggs had their own "body number" tag riveted to the firewall with only 2 rivets... no one else will have that #...

24. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Texas has a variation of titling "assembled to resemble" or some such verbiage. which works if your PU cab is actually a 46 1-1/2 ton, but you are building a '40 1/2 ton.

Nicholas Coe likes this.