Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have you ever sold a part thinking you don't need it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 2, 2018.

1. And no sooner than the part and the money are history you have one of those OH SH!T
    epiphany's. :(:mad::rolleyes:

Damn, I got to have that part. HRP

2. squirrel

squirrel

I sold about 50,000 lbs of scrap metal from my yard in 2010, and I sure miss some of it...oh well, that's life.

But you kind of need 100 parts in stock, to have 3 or 4 that you actually will need one day.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, kbgreen and 4 others like this.
  3. Sold a Deuce Pines Winterfront in the 80's, thinking I would not be building anymore hot rods.:oops: Give my left nut for it now.:eek:

4. Sold a four speed shifter a couple of months back. I threw in a mounting adapter and some shift arms I had laying around. So then I tried to put the shifter into my Corvette last month. Guess what parts I couldn't find? Now I have to buy what I virtually gave away.

5. that is why i just keep stuff..........but maybe i should sell some of it..........i am running out of room......but i will regret getting rid of it............i could use the space............ i have more than one, of some things.........but you never know...........these don't grow on trees..........but it would be easier to find things if there was less........... i have used these in the past...........ohhhh, i remember that came off my buddy's car.........is this broken? i can fix that.............in high school you couldn't find one of these...........nobody uses them any more anyway.............scrap value is up....... where would i find it again?.......

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, scott27 and 7 others like this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Three barns full of parts and stuff, four school busses, one Pepsi truck full, one garage........ uh...... I guess not!

Bones

7. Slopok

Slopok

Never needed any of it... til I either sold it or threw it away!:eek:

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, Nostrebor and 7 others like this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Took the words right outa my mouth!

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More times than I can count

10. As I have often told my father, you never know what you need until you haven’t got it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, chevy57dude and 2 others like this.
  11. ^See! Reason enough to keep it all!

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. More than a few times. Especially American Racing wheels.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, 47ragtop and 2 others like this.
  13. Terrible80

Terrible80

Sold or given away. Yeah, I could use it , but if it gets a friend, brother or deserving stranger on the road it's cool. Pay it forward!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you haven't you haven't been at this very long.
    Story on myself. In 1966 I was working at the Boeing Renton Wa plant and bought a 55 Buick special 4 door hardtop. The reason it was so cheap ended up being that the engine was a bit suspect and after It started knocking on me a couple of days later my dad decided to drive it the rest of the way home and did one of the wildest engine blow ups on a non race car you can imagine. There were pieces of rod, piston and cylinder wall in the lifter gallery. I bought a 55 Buick Super from a guy working in a Music store for 65 Bucks and drove it home and we pulled the engine out of the special and stuck it in the trunk of the Super turned the super around and pulled the engine and dropped it in the special.
    A few days later we towed the Super to a wrecking yard and I think they gave me 20 bucks if that. Two weeks later I cracked one of the pulleys on the engine and went back to the same wrecking yard and asked abut a pulley and they said, That black Buick with the engine in the trunk should have one,. Ended up buying the pulley back for 3 bucks.
    I've got 3 sheds full of parts that I need to sort out and haul or sell off but am a bit afraid to.

15. Winterfronts don't come down the road to often, I hope you made a good profit on it, I am paraphrasing Randy's old adage "You never pay too much for a Pines Winter Front, you just buy it too soon". Randy Nash

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. 3340

Have experience here

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. jim snow

jim snow

Oh yeah. More than once. Snowman

18. What was a good profit then, would be a buy of a lifetime now.:rolleyes: I made ten times what I bought it for, but again it was nothing by todays prices.:( I would just love to have one for my roadster.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

20. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have bought , sold, traded and gave away parts to help out my brother or friends for over 40 years and I have been fortunate to be way ahead of the game of investment over profit. So at least when I have one of those "oh shit !" moments , I can in turn justify replacing it and not kick myself to hard! lol Larry

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

Been there, done that, think I have the shirt for it someplace.

The one that bugs me the most is when I can't find something I know is here. I can look for days and not find it, until about 10 minutes after I buy another one.

I have reached the point that if I can't find the stuff I know I saved, and I have to go buy another one, it must be time to get rid of everything that doesn't fit a ride that is currently here. Gene

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, 41rodderz and 3 others like this.
  22. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Hate to remember this but here goes: stuff given away then sold off by others who lost interest bothers me more than some of the stuff tossed out because “I’ll never we need it”. I have to remind myself never is a real long time

23. mountainman2

mountainman2

"Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got til its gone" :(

24. That gremlin's twin brother lives in my shop!

Yeah, I have been in you shoes. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and AVater like this.
  25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Danny, I only sell stuff that I need a week later, and usually only buy stuff that I already have 2 of. It never fails.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, R A Wrench and 3 others like this.
  26. When we were getting ready to move across the country, I called up my buddies and gave them the opportunity to grab anything that I deemed unnessary. Most of the "STUFF" I really dont miss ,,,,, BUT,,,,, I have had the occasional "what the hell did you do" moments. Thats what happens when you try to thin stuff out while suffering from Traumatic Brain Injury. Oh well, life goes on.....Mitch.

27. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

A few years ago I was at the Spring Carlisle meet and a guy had a really good deal on a complete Olds J-2 set up , linkage, air cleaner, the whole shooting match! This vender was close to the back fence by the turnpike and we always park by gate 1 which is about as far as you can get apart on the whole grounds. I borrowed the guys handcart and strapped that big old heavy tri carb out fit clear back to the truck, My buddy was there resting and having a cold one. I had to brag what a smokin deal I had just got. He said but you don't have a Olds engine. I said that's OK, I know I can make a good profit on it. That afternoon when we met up to leave the J-2 stuff was gone and I was going off the deep end. My buddy walks up and told me to calm down and hands me a wad of cash. He said you said you just bought it to sell and you told me what you paid for it so I made you $100 bucks. I was not too happy to put it mildly. When I cooled off I said what the hell I got a good deal and the guy you sold it to got a good deal so all is good. He felt so bad he bought my supper that night and wouldn't let me buy beer for the rest of the trip. A month later a guy gave me a low miles 58 371 Olds engine that he had since the early 60's. Karma is a bitch sometimes.

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

What I hate is you sell something or give it away thinking you’ll never need it, then sometime later you do need it and have to look for one. You look and look, finally one turns up on eBay or Craigslist, a bit more than you sold yours for, but you gotta have it. You pull the trigger and put out the cash, then when you’re cleaning it up, you realize you just bought the same one you got rid of a while back!

29. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I actually just finished "Mucking" out the barn. I am done building and will now just drive and maintain what I have.
    It really hurt me to toss misc. parts that I know someone out there needs, but you cannot keep it all. A trailer load of trash and another of scrap metal.....but when it was all said and done I felt good about it and got a helluva lot more room now,... plus I found stuff I've been wondering where it went!

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, 47ragtop and 2 others like this.
  30. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

what i don't get is this, why get rid of stuff and get more room. what do you do with all that room now? if that was me, i would just buy more stuff and fill it up again. right now, i don't have anymore space in the yard, so i can't buy anymore cars. nobody said i couldn't buy more parts though.