Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best Straight Axle Kits 4 '55 Chevy Gassers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R. Seghi, Nov 17, 2010.

1. It's getting close to that time for a straight axle for my '55 Chevy Gasser. I need to know the best kits available or what I should look for in used parts. I heard from kiwi Kev that the Speedway kit is just a bit too short and the Billy Meyers kit costs way too much.
    Ideas?

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Let's get a good discussion going on this one. I 've got a project that is going to be in need of this type of front suspension and I'm interested in the pros and cons of what is available.
    Didn't ShakyPudding do a great thread about this not too long ago?

Frank

Chicknj likes this.
  3. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

since this is what we do the most at woodard racing & hot rods, is, . My 2 cents say we always use speedway. if straight and not dropped we order 50 inch axles if dropped only avail in 48 and I dont mind it at all, .. In fact it is what i used on my own personal car... good luck

Attached Files:

4. I was hoping for a 50" wide dropped but wasn't available. I liked the straight one from Meyer with the springs below axle as it didn't jack the car as high as the Speedway kit with straight axle below springs. All depends how high you want the car to sit. Looks like the 48" wide dropped axle would work fine.

5. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

6. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

7. Paul Y

Paul Y

This is an excerpt from the Puddin' build

As you all know, a common question here on the HAMB is what axle to use for a gasser. The Speedway and MAS axles seem to be popular.

Most of the serious racers I talked to advised against a mild steel axle on a heavy tri 5 Chevy. Especially one that may wheel stand. I've heard many say that they can and do BEND.

An east coast gasser racer gave me the number for Jim Tinsmith (Tinny) from PA. After a few conversations with Tinny, I was sold on his Chromoly axle. Jim is a long time racer and fabricator. He said they come 53" king pin to king pin. 2" O.D, quarter wall, and zero drop. After seeing the Speedway axles and how narrow they were, I'm glad I bought the axle from Jim.

Here it is with Chassis Engineering spindles and Wilwood brakes:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/shakeypuddin55/Straight Axle/DSCN0411.jpg

I have another buddy who got me a wholesale price from Wilwood so I stepped up and got the drilled rotors and polished calipers. They fit the early Ford spindles.

They spindles are forged pieces from Chassis Engineering. I wanted the strongest stuff possible since I knew my car would be driven hard.

Looks good to me, was wondering where you had got to after the Tangerine Lace....

P.

8. 47-53 chev p.u.

9. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

With the Speedway kit, you can put the axle above or below the leaf springs. The perches aren't welded on when you receive the kit.

10. Me I like the look of the 55-59 chevy pick up axle or even the 60s van,only because I am drivin on the street and not racing the car,I like the I-beam set up and its damn sure proven its self on millions of truck over the years,pus they are cheap and look good drilled.and its about as straight forward as can be........either way good luck the cars lookin bitchin

11. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I've been looking at lots of options for my '57 gasser project, and since I'm running a big block I have decided to have one of my fab guys build a chromemoly axle for it. I thought about the '57 truck axle (I'll have a complete setup available soon if anyone wants it), but it looks a little wide in a Tri-5 to me. I'm building a pretty serious motor, and the car will be relatively light (painted aluminum heads, lots of 'glass), so I'm hesitant to use the Speedway axle. I really like the looks of the tube style, though.

12. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I like the looks of the early truck axles myself. I got a great deal on a Ford F1 axle that the previous owner replaced with a MII front end. Pretty much the same width as the chevy truck axle which was close to 60" , same width as the 55 front end. The speedway 50" axle comes out to 58 1/2".

13. Butch M

Butch M

I used a 54 chevy truck in mine

14. Well if anybody has an axle close to me I'd be interrested in talking about a price.

15. Ok, I just talked to Kevin. We're going with the Speedway 50" axle kit and mounting it on top of the springs so not to raise the front end of the car too high. Thx Model A John for clearing that up. I'll try to put up a picture of the car in it's current state after the paint. It looks way BITCHIN' er.

16. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

You're welcome. Good luck with your project!

17. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

nick good luck man cant wait to see that thing done!

18. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

here is a 57 we did on top speedway 50 inch

Attached Files:

19. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

here is a 57' with a 50 inch tube we did , semi serious mtr 871 blown 540 inch

Attached Files:

20. "Way bitchiner" ????? hahahaha! You kill me Robert...Can't wait to see it!!!

21. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

I used the 50" speedway axle and made my own hangers.

Attached Files:

• 060.jpg
      060.jpg
      File size:
      321 KB
      Views:
  22. should be more BITCHIN"R on VN when its done,have fun Robert

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  23. Butch M

Butch M

Hey Robert can't wait to see it done straight axle and that new orange paint going to be killer good luck..........

24. "BITCHN'R"...good name for the car when it's done.

25. Good choice, since it was not mentioned Nickey Chevrolet of Chicago has a top gun set up for the tri fives. It is a little pricey but from what I gathered it is engineered very well. I plan on using one for my 210 build. Good luck with your car. CGM:)

26. Lucky3

Lucky3

Ditto on what Paul Y mentions....
    I have built several race car chassis and if you talk to the guys that have done this "Gasser" straight axle thing for a while, they will all tell you to stay away from the mild steel axles.
    Especially on a heavy car like a 55 Chevy, I would advise against any mild steel axles such as Speedway equipment. These are mild duty "Street Rod" equipment at best and still get bent on rough roads.

There are several "Straight Axle" fabricators out there that use Moly.
    Go for strength and safety and less emphasis on the price !!
    You life may depend on it !

:D:D:D

27. gripelec

gripelec

Im at the same crossroads, good luck with it. look forward to your progress on your build.

28. classic gary

classic gary

this may be a dumb question, but, how do you tell a mild tube axle from a moly tube axle. I bought my straight tube axle from EBAY and now I'm wondering.................

29. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

Has anyone used an Econoline axle in a 55 with the original frame rails?