Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Double flare lines: Brake and Fuel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmy six, Oct 2, 2018.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm tired of screwing them up and having doovers. These HF"s and other's all look the same and I bet they are no matter who's name is on them.
    I looked up internet solutions and saw and watched lever action flaring tools. I also saw a better tight bender than I have now. I also saw a "one size" for working in a cars 3/16" brake lines. I'm not looking cheap junk here and I can't warrant a hydraulic one.
    What do you guys use other than the cheapo's? Thanks

2. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

3. squirrel

squirrel

K-D, from a few decades ago.

4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WZ.. That looks like the one I saw for working on lines in the car. I'm sure it will work on the bench too.
    Jim... If it's 2 decades it might be made in the USA.
    nunattax... Do you like the Eastwood?

6. F&J

F&J

I wonder if the material in the modern day lines is at fault? I never used to have problems, but over the last 8-10 years, I have very minor weeping when using DOT5 silicone fluid (which will leak when DOT 3 won't).

If everything else on the planet has gone to shit in quality, maybe the lines are not what they used to be?..maybe too many melted down bicycles in the Asian steel foundry??

I started making my own soft copper conical gaskets from .016 and this will seal all the weeping.

7. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

8. squirrel

squirrel

9. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

10. I used to have the same problem, but (I know you don’t want to hear this) I swallowed hard and bought a Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool. The nice thing is, it will also do some of the goofy ends on late model fuel lines.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Happydaze likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim... Says made in the USA...I'm glad there are still some ...thanks

12. squirrel

squirrel

notice it's an old used tool, not a new one...

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also bought mine at Eastwood. I picked up the AN flaring set as well since I do a bit of both.
    upload_2018-10-2_16-7-49.png
    These are double flares on stainless steel, tidy and it will save you a trip to the gym that night. Especially stainless fuel line.
    upload_2018-10-2_16-8-49.png
    upload_2018-10-2_16-9-15.png
    I flared every connection on my 34's brake and fuel lines and had zero leaks. Great investment and once you get the nag of it, very fast and easy to use. Chalk up your tubing, turn the dial to OP0 and it squares it up in the dye, turn the dial to OP1 and bubble the tubing, turn it again to OP2 and double flare.

Blue One and mgtstumpy like this.
  14. Same thing I have been using for the last 40 years. HRP

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got the same one that Billy has and really like it but haven't had need to use it a lot. I have the old SnapOn one similar to the KD that Jim showed that I have had for over 45 years and can't remember exactly when I bought it. It is getting a bit tired.
    That greenish coated tubing that the parts houses sell now is a pain to flair right for me at least.

What helps as much as anything is making sure the blade on your tube cutter is sharp and using a deburring tool made for tubing to clean up the cut.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and that tubing cutter can create enough friction and heat as a result to harden the tubing causing it to split when flared. I was taught to cut it off quickly with a cut off wheel then debur inside and out and lubricate it before flaring.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cutting wheel hardens the end of any steel it cuts off, I'll argue that one. Plus unless you have it in one of those little chop saw setups made for an angle grinder you will never get a straight cut.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a tubing on the market in the '80s, used to get it from Campbell Automotive (CA.) Name of the stuff was "Kant-Kink'. Easy to bend, and double flared like it was lead! ('soft' to flare, bent tightly around corners with that little single hand stamped 'hickey' that was 3" long...)
    I double flared it with my old Snap On flare tool (like Squirrel's) which came in the red plastic box. (Snap-On was encrypted on the box lid...must have done 20 flares in a day, 3 street roadster jobs.

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

yes its a quality item.just if you don't use it regular spray everything with wd 40 or similar.

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The “new” NICOP tube will make , Gomer and Gober look like Floyd Cottington built it . You really have to try to make a mistake flaring or bending this stuff .