Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Iowa traditional hot rod and custom gathering and cruise.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justabeater37, Sep 28, 2018.

1. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I still have your number on my desk. I may get in touch about doing a cruise this fall while I still have a cool car. Maybe we can even get the bum Brock to tag along.

2. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Although I’m debating Brock’s truck as being two newish looking for what the ultimate plan is.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  3. chubbie

chubbie

NW corner of the state were interested! You want to include F100's year carryovers but won't let the 30 year olds with little kids in because they have a 53 chevy 4 door? you already pissed down your leg...

Philroy likes this.
  4. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And hence the problem. Someone isn’t going to be happy. Nothing against newer cars just trying to figure out how to keep the group rather small like was stated earlier to keep it fun not a job. Year carry overs is where the drama will begin. That is why I am thinking an earlier cut off. You can’t make everyone happy.

Like I said earlier I have vehicles that won’t qualify as well. I am not a politician, and as such, I speak what is on my mind which is probably why my friend circle is very small. If I just let it be an open cruise, what happens when suddenly 400 cars show up because they heard it was cool? Then no one has fun because it became too big, shops no longer want to host us, we overwhelm towns not just restaurants.
    Realistically 40 cars would be too big. It has always been a sticking point on when 4 doors became traditional. And now my pants are fully pissed on with a puddle on the floor. I want to keep it early hot rods but the other party who wanted to do this digs early customs and wanted to include them.

5. chubbie

chubbie

Pick-ups were the exception not common in hot rodding and custom. Therefor Not a "trad rod" some times a custom, and never a kemp. Yes i'm that old. You could name the pick-ups to be included. Like... T buckets . model A, 40 ford, 53- ford 1/2 tons and 55-57 chevy 1/2 tons. That's what those stacks of old magazines are for..

504640 likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

I'd come if fordors were allowed, but probably not if 400 cars showed up. I don't know how you would keep the thing intimate and fun, but good luck!

7. chubbie

chubbie

Clear lake "cruise around the lake" was 300 cars, Cruise to the woods 1200? Cruise Iowa high way 6 75 cars Good luck getting 75 cars let alone trad cars

8. alchemy

alchemy

Cruise to the Woods is not fun for me, and I'll probably never go back. You sit and wait for dozens of cars to gather at each point along the way, until you all arrive in a huge tangled up mess at a small town that can't handle it. Then it takes a good two hours to funnel everyone out of this small town onto the road to the final destination. And you line outside the final stop like cattle while it takes another half hour to get onto the fairgrounds.

Try to make the new event the opposite of CttW and you should succeed.

9. 18n57

18n57

Bummer. I’ve never been to the CttW, thought this year might be my first.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. alchemy

alchemy

I haven't been in at least five years. Maybe they've improved it. Shows always improve as they get bigger, right?

11. chubbie

chubbie

Cruise to the woods is one of the greatest car events in the Midwest. As I've said before, we as trad rods should plan and meet and cruise this thing together. It would open eyes and "spread the gospel" Instead very few trad rods make the show.
    It would be SOO easy to organize this!! Most could drive it Sunday morning and meet at the park in Ft. Dodge. group together, and watch the show come into the park!

Bugguts likes this.
  12. ...to solve the "too many cars" problem,..let people sign up and include pics/info on their cars, then a committee invites the ones you want,...limit it to number of cars you want, etc,... the next year, those chosen are not eligible for a length of time,...also, the more cars you have the harder it is to cruise,...go to fast and you lose the tail end unless you have lead cars that know the route, or every car has a map......just some ideas...

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    pprather likes this.
  13. 504640

It is a very good point that Pick-ups were the exception in traditional rods and customs, and not a commonality. Today's enthusiast and the general public is truck crazy. If I go to a parts store and ask for a part for my 40 ford, 46 ford or 50 chevy, its taken for granted that I am asking about truck parts. It use to be that if asking for truck parts, a person needed to mention that truck parts are needed! Now, I need to specify that I am needing car parts!

chubbie likes this.
  14. chubbie

chubbie

HA! How frosty is that...… got a bunch of likes so a few more guys remember

15. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright. Still working on details of criteria, but we are both kind of leaning towards an invite only type of deal to keep this manageable at first at least. We both agree that 40 cars would be the upper limit. I may have to figure a webpage or a separate email account to submit to. Of course little details like dates haven't been discussed thoroughly yet either. Stay tuned and thanks for the interest.

pprather likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been thinking about something on the same lines around here.
    State the criteria for the vehicles involved, keep the numbers within reason and come up with a route that runs over some interesting roads with some interesting photo op sites along with a specified lunch break spot.
    I'd agree, word of mouth and or invitational only rather than putting flyers out. Too many can't understand why their 35 year old 4 door sedan with it's classic license plate doesn't fit in with a group like this.

Thinking about it, all you really need to put out is the starting point and the time that it starts and if participants need to bring their own lunch or the lunch stop will be where folks can buy lunch.

17. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is still in conceptual stage. Hoping to get a plan together by winter. This thread was just thrown out there to gauge interest.

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I applaud what you are doing. I don`t fit in, but that`s Okay. I understand. I attend the Custom Car Revival in Indy, I don`t fit in there either. That`s Okay. Cars show up from over 24 states. These cars are the one`s I enjoy seeing. Haven`t missed it in 5 years. The more defined cars that fit will show up and love what you are doing. Cruise to the woods ain`t that bad. A good chance to see a large number of cars in one place.

19. scoop

scoop

We tried to count the new camaros corvettes,mustangs,challengers,the last time we were there.Lost track close to a hundred.

20. chubbie

chubbie

^^^^^^^ fact but there could be a group of old school rods together

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That`s only 10 percent of the cars. Pretty normal at most shows where they are allowed.

22. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

There is a much nicer show in the east end of the state the same week end. Still not traditional, though.

Gary

23. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Good idea. I was thinking of starting something similar in Wisconsin if I could get a couple guys/gals to help.

UNSHINED 2 and Max Gearhead like this.
  24. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Narrowing it down to an invite only, Pre 54 traditional hot rod and custom run. Engines to 1962ish, modern transmissions allowed to be highway friendly. The one thing we agree on is no stupidity, over consumption, politics, or general BS that would make the group not welcome. That will not be tolerated. One chance to be on the short list, if you mess it up, you are out. We are looking to be a stand up group of people who would be invited back wherever we go. No smoky burn out shows, no flame throwers, etc. If you feel compelled to dress in period correct clothing, that is your choice, but not mandatory. No stockers or bagged cars on the rockers is where we are aiming. I know it will be a fairly tight group, but that is also where we are aiming. This is meant to be about drivers, so no loop routes, think point A to B. If you need a trailer, that is up to you to figure out the logistics and parking, as we will not factor that in. Still ironing out details, PM your ride and where you are from if interested. I know that we are limiting the group size by being exclusionary, but that is the point. A small group of like minded car owners who are interested in driving their cars and not just showing in a parking lot. And yes I have listened to the input on the pick up deal. Trucks will need to be early hot rod or traditional custom, chopped, sectioned, heavily modified in some way, or push truck styling.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  25. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are more than welcome to join us. We will do our best to support you as well if you get something going in your area.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  26. Great idea! Already have the Hot Rod Hundred Reliability Run but there's always room for more. Lots of very scenic areas in Wisconsin to experience.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  27. scoop

scoop

Blue Earth MN

Attached Files:

justabeater37 likes this.
  28. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

I would like to go let known when your planning to leave Rog

29. Your truck would fit in at the Hill Climb......I have been attending this great event for the last 4 years and I know what fits and don't fit. Mike that puts it on is a friend of mine and I am sure he would pass your truck. So see ya there next year may-be?

30. Yes I remember running into you at the Hill Climb, the last year it was in Georgetown.

Walt
    Outsiders CC