Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Bicycles

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ron Funkhouser, May 1, 2018.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

My all original '58 Corvete. Sure it's a Schwinn but that still counts, right?

20160528_125110.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, biggeorge, 49ratfink and 5 others like this.
  2. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

Also found n a dumpster. My wife loves it. original schwinn.jpg

3. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I came from a poor single Mom family so when I finally got my first bike from my Grandparents it was used and really lame. It was gold and was the pre banana seat style flat bull horn style bars, and the spring "saddle", big long chrome fenders reflectors etc. (might have even been a girls frame with WWs & tassels too) it was nice to have a bike but I was aware the cool factor was not there...I left it out on the lawn one night and it got stolen:( what a shitty feeling and my Gramps was pissed! There was some talk of me not deserving another but we found another used one this time Red and with Banana seat and Ape hangers! after a couple days the forks broke so we went to the local lawn mower/ chainsaw/bike shop and the guy sold us what he said were "heavy duty" forks but were just 26" bike forks....so I ended up with a chopper! loved it rode it everywhere from dawn til dusk from 8-12 yrs old. I was the jumpin champeen, wheelyin champeen, and down hill speed champeen til the forks broke again
    Recently I found the exact same frame/color (orig. red but brush painted black) and got it running it was impossible to find original parts so I made some compromises and took my new baby for her first bike ride then sold it cuz I have 3 others (pics to follow) and no storage banana20180425.jpg banana3.jpg

Deuces, 6inarow, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  4. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

5. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

riks pics 2 094.jpg
    I've got one of these (except not as nice) from Crazy Dave's World Junk Shop Curiosities & Tours which is a whole nother story in itself
    Does anyone know if I can get these red line big n little tires anywhere still?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  6. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

built this out of his junk pile while there...

Attached Files:

Deuces, Ron Funkhouser and biggeorge like this.
  7. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

My parents got me my first bike, a used Huffy, in the early 1970's. I kept it around for ever and then one day turned it into the "Skinny Chopper". I rode it around for a couple of years and then decided to upgrade with an engine! This things is SUPER fun to ride. I take it to the vintage camping shows and ride it around the neighborhood.

SkinnyChopper.JPG

8. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

recently picked up a sturmey-archer 3 spd wheel and a neat super tall sissy bar that has spring/absorbers in it and a new seat...i'm going to use a small bearing in the seat and sissy bar mounts to account for the spring action...unfortunately there's a little wow in the top tube any ideas how to straighten it? not sure if these pics are showing up I have to click on them for some reason??

Attached Files:

Deuces, biggeorge and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have a few old bikes. had a bunch in the 80's when they were not worth anything. sold everything but a 49 Schwinn that I still have. recently spent 5 times as much for fenders, tank, chainguard and rack as I did for the whole bike in 1983.

1949 Schwinn Autocycle deluxe:

IMG_6459.JPG

1946 Schwinn DX:
    IMG_6302.JPG

1960 Schwinn "RACER"
    IMG_5860 small.JPG

this is my Schwinn Chopper I am building out of a Varsity 10 speed. I have since fattened the rear of the frame so the tires will spin, and I have a skinny tire and aluminum rim for the front to be put on. 26" wheels, that is a Sturmey Archer drum brake from the 80's on the back:
    small IMG_6522.JPG

Deuces, biggeorge, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

...side view. this is a fun bike to ride. stretched about 5" and I cut about the same from the seat tube and another inch or so from the head tube.
    small IMG_6517.JPG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Here is an old Empire skip-tooth I got at a farm auction for $3. 20180620_184354.jpeg 20180620_184401.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. '57 girls Schwinn Corvette, '61 boys Schwinn Corvette, '71 Schwinn Sting Ray. All are original paint, mostly unrestored. The '61 even has Schwinn tires.
    Schwinn Corvette.jpg DSC00113.JPG SchwinnMidget.JPG

13. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

14. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

My first bike, a red 1949 Schwinn and a Whizzer/Schwinn I built in 2002 or so from a 1950 Schwinn.

Attached Files:

Deuces, 6inarow, biggeorge and 5 others like this.
  15. Starting to put my '59 Schwinn Wasp back together....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Muttley, 49ratfink, biggeorge and 5 others like this.
  16. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  17. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

What brand is that bike? Was it made by a single manufacturer and branded under other names? I ask because mine from way back when had a frame like that and had the front tag “B.F. Goodrich”. Chain guard was the same too. Would love to find another one to recreate mine.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Its a Western flyer, but the frame is by Murray, It was marketed under several names, Including Murray Eliminator, so that is completely possible.

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

me 031.JPG me 033.JPG I have a 1947 western flyer.

Deuces, Rathbone, 6inarow and 6 others like this.
  20. Done...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Here are a few I have.

Attached Files:

Deuces, Squablow, biggeorge and 3 others like this.
  22. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

My wife's 1960 B F Goodrich Challenger. phone pics 2016 152.jpg

23. Way back in 72 I made a visit to my childhood stomping grounds. A place commonly called Hillbilly Haven. In NE Indiana . Portage aacross from a bar pit called Dombey Lake to be exact. Any Road the Cable kids had old Jack Viles weld mounts to rig a briggs and Stratton to a bicycle frame. direct drive no clutch or brakes. And they where actually riding it!

biggeorge likes this.
  24. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Here are a couple I picked up today. The one on the left is called an Executive. It’s a 3 Speed with a hi/lo so guess it’s really a 6 Speed. It was made in West Germany. In excellent shape and everything is in working order.
    The one on the right is called a Ridewell and was made by Woodwell.
    Don’t know that much about it but it seems to be all complete and everything mechanical is in good working order. Going to have to investigate the background of it and see if I can’t get the horn and headlight working.
    And last is my Huffy. I cruised the Salt Flats on that about 8 years ago. That’s an original aftermarket bicycle steering wheel on it.
    DE23C135-554D-438C-9D74-103DDE64B3AD.jpeg 3BDC7D10-B8C9-4FD1-BD74-15910E02DF8F.jpeg

25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Except for the handlebars I like what this fellow did:

1951 Buick Eight.JPG

26. Mostly Schwinn, built just for fun. IMG_20170904_175825.jpg

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I had a motorbike as a youngster. It was a springer forked Monark chassis with a Jack & Heinz horizontally opposed twin cylinder two-cycle engine. I could not get the J&H engine to run - it needed a coil - so I mounted a 4-cycle rototiller engine to it. I think J&H was in Cleveland. In my opinion this was a superior motorbike to the Whizzer, not only for the two cylinder engine but especially because the clutch was a dry plate automotive type clutch with a throw out bearing operated by the clutch lever, unlike the idler pulley found on the Whizzers.

Does anybody have one? Or pics? Or parts? Or know more about the history of these bikes?

Deuces likes this.
  28. Muttley

Muttley

Been working on this '64 Schwinn American a little lately..............

Before.....

1.JPG

During.....
    5.JPG

You'll have to wait for after.....

Deuces, quick85, biggeorge and 3 others like this.
  29. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

what are you using to clean the rust off the rims?

30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Not to hi jack the thread, but I use brillo pads lots of water.

Nailhead A-V8 and Deuces like this.