Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. BTW, busiest week in Angouleme isn't the racing, it's the comic convention

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

banjeaux bob likes this.
  2. Kume

Kume

Members of the Maori Battalion in Italy during WW2

ww2 maori battalion italy.jpg

3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

thanks for the reply!

4. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

5. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

6. motoklas likes this.
  7. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

30531217_1599820226799117_6910824819915227136_n.jpg From Fred Korthals

Rolfzoller, SR100 and Kume like this.
  8. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

My photographer friend asked if he could take some environment shots of my garage, so naturally I had to reorganize and tidy up a bit motivating me to pull the Airhead Roadster out of the corner and into a spot where I can get to all sides of it. Now I’m finally ready to move forward with fabricating the body. A few weeks back I went to look at a home built experimental plane that had crashed into a tree decades ago and was salvaged by the seller. My thought was that I might be able to use the fuselage for my body since it was close in proportions and similar to the shape my chassis is asking for, but unfortunately it was made of very thin aluminum and was a little too narrow. It sure was cool though, and the story would have been great. In the end I decided to build from scratch, and seeing the planes construction in person helped to solidify my build method. I was originally going to create the substructure out of bent tubing since I have a roll bender, but have now decided to build using the more traditional method of bulkheads made from flat sheet similar to aircraft and boat construction. I feel this will better fit the style and period of the hand riveted chassis and will allow me to remove material later to lighten things up. I don’t have a proper welder or the skills to weld thin sheet aluminum, so most of the body will be riveted (I do have a pneumatic riveter) and I plan to attemp to braze panels together in complicated areas like the forming of the boat tail section, etc.. In a few weeks I’ll be making a trip to CA where I have a 1967 Yamaha YR1 350 Gran Prix in storage that I’ll be shipping over. My plan is to purchase a HF English wheel and a few other metal working tools, load them onto the skid and ship them over with the motorcycle so I can start shaping some metal this winter. E26C7EE3-AE12-45B0-A3BA-446B6F0775EB.jpeg

9. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

10. fredvv44

fredvv44

Since it is an air cooled engine have a look at some GN cyclecars. They did some amazing body work in the '20's with no compound curves on many makes of cars.
    GN cyclecar.png GN 1921.JPG

Ned Ludd, Rolfzoller, Kume and 2 others like this.
  11. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Airhead, I for one would love to see regular updates of your progress.

Please tell me that's a kit Speedster not OG so I can fight back some of the jealousy.

N.Ozols likes this.
  12. SR100

SR100

[​IMG]
    Built with parts from an Italian truck frame, engine from a German motorcycle, wheels from an English bomb trailer, gas tank from a B-24 Liberator and the throttle from a German bomber by members of the 376th Bomb Group, 9th Air Force in Libya.

13. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

like they had a lot of spare time on their hands....

14. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

43629552_10212690075312292_1059534016350257152_n.jpg much larger than a cyclecar.....just imagine it's a little smaller.

Kume and Rolfzoller like this.
  15. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

16. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

From Ivan Dutton...

daren w, Rolfzoller and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  18. Kume

Kume

I cant wait for Part 2!

tarcoleo likes this.
  19. fredvv44

fredvv44

Wonderful video. i watched them all.

20. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Great video. Thanks for sharing, Bob

21. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Hey Fred, is that your old Moggie in new paint in your avatar?

22. fredvv44

fredvv44

fini 1.JPG fini.JPG fini2.JPG Yes it is, indeed. The paint job was horrible so I spent the summer re-doing it.

23. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I thought it looked sparkling in the avatar. Beautiful results.

24. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

[​IMG]

...anybody has an idea what this trio could be?
    Looks to me as original rat-rods from old age...

Ciao,
    Zoran

Ned Ludd likes this.
  25. Kume

Kume

Thunderbug does well in the first half. Nothing in the world like watching a GN (or FN) turning a curve into a multitude of straight lines (except driving one perhaps).

What is the US equivalent of the S F Edge trophy ?

Rolfzoller likes this.
  26. Kume

Kume

Good question - I wondered that myself when it was first posted. Interesting front suspension - aircooled french? Groovy regardless.

27. SR100

SR100

They look more like barn-finds than RR to me. The one on the right looks like a Sizaire-Naiudin, possibly the middle car as well, albeit heavily modified. No guesses on the other one.

28. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello,
    All three look to me as barn-finds, too - but probably heavily modified in their youth!

Probably that all three belonged to the same "stable" - kept together form old times, maybe changing owners from time to time - as a complete.
    Question is are they in good running condition at all? The left one is quite different, looking almost normal with a rude modified body.
    One at the middle and one at the right had the same suspension, but the diferent bodies - maybe modified too.
    Looking through their grills - it seems that there is not an engine inside, but could be single cylinder from the era of "Voiturette" racing days - maybe Sizaire-Naudin? However, suspension looks similar but not the same as S-N had - maybe modified...
    Edwardian racing cars transformed into vintage specials from whatever reason?

Ciao,
    Zoran
    [​IMG]

Rolfzoller likes this.