Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Wow did it make that ford?

enloe likes this.
  2. Yep , all good , the weather had made a couple of them a bit exciting , but nothing too unexpected .

DSCF1606.JPG

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    97, Okie Pete, RustEE and 4 others like this.
  3. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Haven’t posted in a while . 61 Shasta redo . Ground up rebuild under way . [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Hey,you are making progress. HRP

5. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

On the way back from the Tri Five Nationals. Stopped on the side of the road to stretch. It is a nice relaxing 3 hour tow from the house. 0811181441.jpg

6. 20180820_193622.jpg
    This is my new acquisition - a 1955 Shasta 1300 camper trailer. My brother bought it in 2016 from a guy in southern Colorado, and is believed to be a lifelong Colorado camper. My brother passed away recently, and my sis-in-law really wasn't sure what she was going to do with the camper. My brother also had a 1955 ChrisCraft boat on a 1955 trailer; along with a 1955 Johnson 25-hp engine. He was in the search for a '55 Chevy pickup to complete the set, before he passed.

I picked this up in mid-August and towed it back to Oklahoma. Since I was not wanting to pull that down the Interstates at 70 mph while getting passed by everything on wheels; and not sure how it was going to make the 800-mile journey, me and my sons took the back roads and State highways for all but about 90 miles or so. Normally a 11-hour trip, this was 14.5; as we kept the speed under 65 and did a lot of the two-lane roads. It pulled behind my Dakota just fine. Got 15 mpg on the way home, so that's not bad.

My brother replaced the floor, stripped the exterior finish down to the bare aluminum, selected the top flooring for it, had the front cushions reupholstered, and fixed a couple of other things. I replaced the passenger car tires with proper ST-rated trailer tires and serviced the wheel bearings. For now, it's sitting outside my shop until I can make room inside to park it. Pulls great, no leaks. It does need the birch plywood replaced along the front wall, below the window sash.

Plans are to compete the interior and do a couple of minor things to the exterior. I like the bare aluminum on this. I need to find a factory screen door now. Notice the Hudson hubcaps? I pulled those out of a stack of Hudson caps I've had for some years now. They fit perfectly and will polish up nice. This has the original three-burner gas range/oven, ice box, and sink. I plan to install a heater/air conditioner under the bed, so as not to detract and give a too-modern feel to the finished camper. A small solar panel will be used, too. It'll be fun, and a fine token to the memory of my brother Mike.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Okie Pete, tractorguy, 55Deso and 7 others like this.
  7. That is a really nice start! And a great size.

patrick66 and loudbang like this.
  8. patrick66 likes this.
  9. Title and the paperwork that came with all indicate it to be a Shasta. I fubar'd and made a typo with the Sierra reference. It is indeed a Shasta.

Your '57 looks amazing! I plan on polishing mine 100%, but I like that yellow-gold color you've got on yours. Mine was green and white, originally; but I'm painting only the wheels and tongue green. The interior is going to have fake wood floor covering (Pella-style). The cushions are already done in red, which I like. It still has the original ice box & oven with three-burner stove-top, which I'll retain the ice box; but might restore and use the stove, if it's restorable. I'm looking to install an air conditioner/catalytic heater under the bed platform and vent it out the curbside.

This will be a fun rig to finish up. My brother did quite a bit to the trailer before he died. It's up to me to finish and enjoy.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    brEad likes this.
  10. Sorry to hear of your brother passing.
    This trailer will give you a constant reminder of him, and with a smile.

patrick66 likes this.
  11. IMG_20180906_171030016_HDR.jpg
    Sitting by the road.
    It would be cool to make a motor home/hot rod transporter out of it, IMHO.

12. She's been indoors for three weeks now, and I've had everything out of the trailer that wasn't permanently installed. The new Pergo-style bulk flooring, the seats, the plywood and Formica for the new countertop and table top, and other bits came out so I could have a good look at things. From what I've seen so far, I'll need to replace the birch plywood from the base of the front windows to the floor. Also, I'll be removing the lower aluminum panel across the front, below the front windows, to beat that panel out somewhat from a dent in the passenger side of the panel. Apart from that and several hail dents along the front upper panel, the exterior is in pretty damn nice shape for being unrestored and 63 years old!

My brother left some cool vintage bits with the trailer. There are four folding wooden chairs I'd estimate are from the mid-'50s; a vintage red Coleman metal portable icebox that still has the two removable food trays inside, and several fixtures he'd found a while back for such a project as this.

This still has the two original gas-fed lamps, too; one up front and one near the sink. I doubt I'll leave those, I'm planning to replace those with similar-vintage electric fixtures. Only thing gas I intend to keep is the gas stove/range, assuming it can be restored for reasonable money. The stove appears to be in very good condition. The three-burner top still has the cast iron grilles for the pots to sit on. I might install a small microwave, if I can find a small-enough new unit that also looks like it might have been installed in the day...obviously, they didn't exist then! I need to find two glass globes that resemble Mason jars to fit the two electric lamp fixtures.

One thing that might be hard to find is an original screen door. This had one at one time. The hinges remain. No screen door, though. The entry door latch and catch need work, too. To keep the door closed on the road, it has a hasp and padlock; which looks kinda crappy. But it's getting there, slowly but surely.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  13. tommycarpunk

tommycarpunk
    from Milaca, MN

My 65 F100 pulling my 56 Comet. Makes a nice little family camper. F100 and Comet.jpg

14. And this happened on the way back from Charlotte Auto Fair. Distracted driver. Still waiting for the final say on insurance but there’s no way I’m letting it go. I don’t really have time for another project but at least cooler weather’s coming to make it easier.
    [​IMG]

enloe likes this.
  15. Sad to see. Hope you make out okay with the insurance company, and you can rebuild to better than new.

enloe likes this.
  16. Was the driver Cited? It should make a big difference when settling with his insurance if it is stated as a mid 60's trailer or restored antique. Someone should line up his vehicle and be able to smash it with a 16 Lb. Sledge hammer while he watches and is not reimbursed.

17. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

My Merc - 52 towing 1970 Stilmaster delux
    . We have owned the caravan for almost 30 years, it is one of 52 built in sweden. 20170803_164706.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Yes, the driver was cited. I just got it back after being held in storage since the 8th. It’s a little worse than I thought but repairable. Instead of camping in it this fall looks like I’ll be working on it so I can use it next year! At least the damage seems to be centered around the rear wall and the frame seems ok.

19. ^^^Still a shame that now you have to work on it rather than enjoy it. Build it back better than it was from the factory. That's what I did with the last two I rebuilt after only water damage. 100_0104.JPG

Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  20. Man, I can hear the guy telling the officer, I didn't see the camper and had he been driving and watching the road instead of texting on his damn phone you wouldn't have a wrecked camper. fortunately it is repairable.

Camping is a lot better than working on them, good luck. HRP

tetanusshot and enloe like this.
  21. khead47

khead47

My 1963 15" Holiday Rambler. It is looking for a new care taker ! 100_1101.JPG 100_1102.JPG 100_1103.JPG 100_1104.JPG 100_1105.JPG 100_1106.JPG 100_1107.JPG 100_1108.JPG 100_1109.JPG 100_1110.JPG 100_1111.JPG 100_1112.JPG

22. BOY is that nice...I would like to see more of it. Job well done.

23. HermanMunster

HermanMunster

My wife’s restoring a 1956 Shasta compact right now, and I’m working on my 1955 Cadillac to pull it with. First picture is what she started with
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Okie Pete, 36 ROKIT, enloe and 5 others like this.
  24. von zipper

von zipper

My ‘59 Holly, just went to my first vintage camper rally![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Okie Pete, BAD ROD, brEad and 4 others like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have never been to a vintage trailer deal. How was it? Everything is on the east or west coast. Nothing happens around here.

brEad and enloe like this.
  26. von zipper

von zipper

I’ll be back! It was a good time!

enloe, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Not to be totally ignorant here, but what does that sign mean?

enloe and loudbang like this.