Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Iowa traditional hot rod and custom gathering and cruise.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justabeater37, Sep 28, 2018.

1. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

I’m in! Don’t think my car is as traditional as you want ,but it’s my daily driver until they start throwing salt all over the roads.

2. Another "Iowegian" keeping an eye on this for sure....
    While I have a beautiful old Hotrod built in my head (several actually) & a few boxes of misc random parts in the garage, I'll likely have to sneak along in the back in the daily driver.
    Just ignore the man behind the curtain, er- Not really that old, old Dodge....
    Hey, at least it's got a Hemi!
    : )
    But seriously, the rolling show/ tour a great idea!

3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Interesting idea. But I think if you make it too restrictive, it won't survive....there just arent that many cars here that fit the bill. You'd probably just end up with 4 or 5 cars. Not that you cant have fun with just a few cars, but I think you are envisioning 30 or so.
    My opinion is if you went with HAMB friendly cars, it would work. Otherwise it might be tough to get going.

4. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s why we are putting the feelers out to see what’s out there. Yes 30-40 would be the target figuring we would be doing good if 10-20 showed up at any given run.

5. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Stick with your original idea and they will come.

UNSHINED 2 and justabeater37 like this.
  6. ...I plan a Fall cruz every year for our club & friends,..we've had 20-24 cars in our group, we were stretched out for about a mile long,...keep this in mind as it's hard for the lead car to know if everyone is still back there,
    Maps of the route would help as well as the last few cars have phone numbers of lead cars if needed.
    good luck
    club cruz 10-23-16 107.jpg

7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

With the antique car club tours I have been on everyone has a map and instructions and usually people travel in groups of 4 or so cars and travel at their own pace. Then there is a donut stop or lunch stop there is a time window for that stop. Doing it like that helps prevent a parade formation rolling down the road. Some of those tours have more than 150 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doug, you just won the quote of the week!

Chili Phil and raven like this.
  9. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This right here is what I envision. That way nobody is waiting for anyone everybody can travel at their own pace just end up at the stops to rendezvous once in a while

10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

We have an impromptu "bring what you have" early Saturday mornings at a shopping plaza.
    We have a wide variety every week. Everyone is heading home at 9am.

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not what I’m wanting it all. Looking to get together with a good part of the day, who’s around in your hot rod, eat some food, see the sights, and just hang out with friends all day. There are lots of parking lot shows around that Is notwhat this is going to be

alanp561 likes this.
  12. scoop

scoop

See avatar,qualify? Sounds like fun.

13. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like it should fit.

14. alchemy

alchemy

I am all for the one day cruises, but a weeklong cruise wouldn't be possible for me.

15. tractorguy

tractorguy

16. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the week long deal would be further down the road once we get a core group built up. Then it would be like a vacation for some and people could always hop in or out as needed, or just come hang out at the overnight stops. That will take longer to plan so that may or may not happen. Brock has said he is interested in doing a Lincoln Highway cruise weekend up your way.

17. alchemy

alchemy

I know of a hot rod heaven located right on the original Lincoln Highway that might like to host a stop. Plenty of cool cars and parts to see.

justabeater37 likes this.
  18. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in! Sounds like fun. Something like the CrossMembers reliability runs.

Rick & Jan and Max Gearhead like this.
  19. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sounds interesting to me. I am in Western Iowa and the scenery in Eastern Iowa along the Mississippi is far more interesting but I'd probably not drive that far. A group out of Corning Iowa has orchestrated a similar cruise on a Sunday visiting several places on a preplanned route, but was open to all years, etc, the overall idea is great and driving is so much more satisfying (to me) than sitting in a lawn chair.

chop job, alanp561 and MMM1693 like this.
  20. Philroy

Philroy

For what it’s worth, we have a cruise-in down here in Chariton (about an hour south of Des Moines) on the second Friday of every month on the town square from 6-9pm. We’ve had from 20-40 cars, depending on the weather. There’s at least 10 of us that would be very interested in a traditional-type cruise! Just don’t have the annual meeting on the same weekend as the HAMB Drags... We’ll be in Joplin! Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Not in Iowa, but only 1hour away from boarder in MN. Be more than happy to have people in our shop.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Rick & Jan likes this.
  22. 18n57

18n57

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Zettle Bros. and stik70 like this.
  23. Joel W

Joel W

I would be interested. Need to get a car finished. Subscribed!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

24. ahshoe

ahshoe

I'm in.....I could help organize things on the eastern side of Iowa. Very scenic, beautiful river bluff views.With a little thought I could probably come up with some shop tours in the area. Let me know

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20180719_123830.jpg

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I think it's a great idea.
    I'd start out small with an invite to a dozen or less known associates and build from there (think: a group of close acquaintances/club members getting together for a lunch/dinner run in the Hot Rods). Invite only. No flyers or open invites to start as you may get too big of an initial response (or the 'wrong' people showing up). You want this to be small scale fun, NOT WORK.

Consider keeping it limited to 12 or so cars for starters. Consider the capacity of seating and staff at the "roadside diner" that you'd like to utilize for lunch/dinner. 12 cars = about 2 people per car. Can the establishment's staff, seating and parking handle 24 people dropping in with/without a reservation? Perhaps they have a banquet room and back parking area that can be reserved?

I'd shoot for a simple, early/mid 70's Rod Run vibe focused on good cars, good friends, good food and good fun. It was the pre bullshit era.

• '48 and under. Maybe '59 and under if there's too much push back. This will keep it early, without muscle cars, daily's, etc in the lineup.
    • No ego's, power parking, lawn chairs, trophy's, cry baby dolls, Betty Page contests or Rockabilly wanna be's.
    • Leave in small groups (4-6) so it's not a funeral procession.
    • Build in a Poker Run for a bit of fun. With the route directions are 5 defined stops along the way with a card draw. You can set it up with a start and end draw and 3 stops if you prefer. Best poker hand at the end wins a door prize which could be something as simple as dinner for two at the restaurant you'll all be patronizing or a gift card or case of oil donated by your local auto parts store.
    For the week long trip, maybe build a 1-2 day drive each way to/from a large weekend event with some interesting stops along the way (shop tour, road side interests, lunch in an old timey town with time for a museum or antique shop walk, etc) , sort of a small scale Power Tour. Leave on a Thursday, return on Monday.

vtx1800, Max Gearhead and alchemy like this.
  27. “No Crybaby dolls”. In that case I’m in.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

28. How precisely “traditional” are ya gonna be?

Mine is fairly traditional but wouldn’t pass inspection for TROG or the HillClimb. (9”, 5speed are behind the Flathead). And, it’s not on the road yet, so there’s that.

Walt
    Outsiders CC[​IMG]

29. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I had enough friends that could actually make it, I wouldn't need to throw this out there so there's that. We need to sit down and have a serious discussion now that we know there is interest. I am not against making it an invite only deal but was trying to avoid getting to that level. Just trying to get together with a group of like minded people. As far as the criteria are looking, it will be a 54 cutoff at the newest, possibly earlier. The discussion is keep it even earlier and be hot rods only or loosen it up to the early customs. Thinking engine cutoff around 62-65 which would catch most of the popular engines and keep the new fangled stuff out. 5/6 speeds and 4 speed autos not a problem as they aid drivability. newer rear ends as long as its not IRS will likely pass as most ditched the banjos years ago. Disc brakes up front will likely pass to. If there ends up being a really great group of cars that would fit a tighter criteria we may reconsider. Every time I try to do something, 100 people say they will come and 5-6 show up, or less. I am finding there are more cars out there that fit that don't go to the regular shows as they have lost their fun and became tent cities with lawns chairs.
    If everyone who is interested could post pictures of what you are thinking of driving, we could maybe go from there.

vtx1800 and IowaMercMan like this.
  30. alchemy

alchemy

Bwleaves.jpg

Ready for a nice fall cruise.