Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Thanks Dave , Hoping for paint in a couple weeks on the firewall so I can stick the engine back in

2. [​IMG][​IMG] Here’s a couple shots of what’s happening . I now have the column in place . Some of you may think big deal but others know that that is a big hurdle , fitting newer stuff (1962Impala) in my case . Lol ! Maybe just maybe ? It will turn a wheel this summer . 1st week of May off for a weeks holidays . That will be a big move forward ! Here’s hoping .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

biggeorge and Hivolt5.0 like this.
  3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice progress Andy!
    Let me just say that it is great to see you back on the board Rick!

aw1950 likes this.
  4. IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0892.JPG

Getting closer , paint is in the house . Should be a few pics coming Wednesday with my color choice . Get the firewall done then I can put the motor/ trans back in . Stay tuned !

Hivolt5.0 and hacknwhack like this.
  5. I am thinking the wheels will be black and not body color . I see a lot wearing black . I am afraid of too much body color . What do you guys think ?

6. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Post a good profile (side) shot of the car over on the Photoshop thread with the color options you're considering. Also describe the missing trim so they can put that on there. They can help you make up your mind with a few renderings. :)

aw1950 likes this.
  7. Will you be running any hubcaps (full or partial) or beauty rings? Those make a big difference in the looks of the rims. You could also paint the rims a nice contrasting color. Perhaps pick up a pin stripe color or an interior color on the rims.

8. View attachment 3885822 IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0896.JPG View attachment 3885828 IMG_0900.JPG IMG_0901.JPG

We have color,,,, or a start anyways lol . Wanted to be able to put the motor/ trans in so I had to at least get the firewall done . Hope you can catch the metallics in it . The wheels are black but I added some of the paint into the clear on the last coat . You can’t see it but there is a hint of the body color and metallic in the wheel finish . You may see it but not sure they are so near black . The pictures don't do it justice as the sun was setting and I did not get the full effect in full sunlight . Dave , you and I think alike . I am going to accent pinstripe with a creme color of the lighter of the two interior vinyls and I will carry that color onto the inner wheel wells as a backdrop for the tire and rim . I like open lug nuts . That is more of what you would see in 51/52 era customs . Cadillac caps are to overdone for me in my opinion and I have never been a cookie cutter kind of guy .

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    BrerHair and Hivolt5.0 like this.
  9. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Your probably wondering why is Andy posting more pictures of the same as 8 months ago read on . Well 3 forward 2 back is the saying . Well I am living it . After buying two inner fenders from a local I can’t use them . When I welded in the radiator mount it changed the geometry of the front mount points for the inner wheel houses . So now I am in process of making new inner wheel wells . Waste of time effort and $$$ on the inner wheel well purchase . Will try and sell them , you never know .

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  10. One other thing I think I will have these louvered once it gets completely fabricated !

11. [​IMG]
    Coming along a little , have to trim the bottom transition plate a little and do a fold over for strength . Then mock up the grille and front bumper .

12. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Some more progress on the Buick . Have the gaps set and am in the process of welding up the new fender support sheet metal I am constructing . I still need to louvre this piece but that comes later . Pretty hard to get time on the car but here and there gets stuff accomplished .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. farmer12

farmer12

Still going strong Andy, well done!!

aw1950 likes this.
  14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still following along. Dogged determination, wow!

aw1950 likes this.
  15. [​IMG]

Thanks guys for hanging in there . I know this is a long drawn out build but life has a way of sending this to the back burner . On the last few items to deal with as far as fabrication goes . Mocked up bumper so I can make new bumper mounts . Next will be inner fender fabrication .

TomT and hacknwhack like this.
  16. BJR

BJR

That really looks nice!:)

aw1950 likes this.
  17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool buick! I remember seeing this thread before, after looking back to the first of it. I have to say I admire your dedication and skills (I would have already burned out after 8 years, Im too weak) MP&C on here has also been doing a long term build "for someone else" on a 55 chevy wagon for years.
    I have to say I admire the dedication of many long term builders on here, but that may be what prevents me from ever having a real nice car even tho I have a desire, Im not sure I could ever muster that type of dedication.
    2 or 3 years has been about my limit with a car.
    Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing it done.:cool:

18. Thanks for the positive vibes Low Budget . I all looking forward to rolling it out in the spring . Hoping that it will be jambed out in body color and the body will be in some color of flat for the shakedown summer then final paint next winter . That's the goal anyways . Andy..

low budget likes this.
  19. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

First time out in daylight for a few months . 80 % mock up complete . I think it’s stance is dialled in just about right . Profile is good . Front tires are a little tight but these are 7" rims with 215 /75/15 . I will replace with 6" rims and 205/70/15 . That should correct the potential for rubbing issue up front on turns . Now if things returned to normal ( Whatever normal is LOL! ) I could get some more work done

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  20. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I recently was able to get 1.5 hours in on the car . Went from nothing there to a frenched antenna in a hour and a half . 2” muffler pipe , weld bottom , opened a drain hole and a hole for mountain an antenna . I like using VW Rabbit antenna as they are compact , work good and retract into itself easily so nobody can mess with it .

Hivolt5.0 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  21. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Still picking away . Got both bear claw latches installed , just a couple of progress shots . Also , sometimes you have to take a do over . Was trying to set up the grille assembly and the front fenders weren’t working out . So 10 minutes later the front sections were on the floor . I had two spares ,cut off what I needed . I will run stock openings this year and French them out next winter . I have to move on I want to drive this thing this summer . 9 years this August , time to drive it finished or not .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  22. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If anyone is still checking in once and a while I am still plugging away . Been on my back for the last 6 weeks tying in the wheel houses and going overboard with the under neath of the car . I know whose gonna see that . I’ll feel better about it . These pictures should tell you what I am up to at this time . Bought a fuel cell for the car and am in the process of cutting it in . It will be half sunk under the floor . Stay tuned , getting there .

23. [​IMG]

All mocked up , I have it fitting with very little gap around it but enough to seal with seam sealer to avoid exhaust fumes and keep it from chaffing on the sides of the tank . I will be welding up mounting bracket next .

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  24. Still plugging away . A few updates ago I said driving this summer hell or highwater . Well neither came but this summer is off of all possibilities of driving . The winter broke and lots to do for yard work / deck work . Once again this car gets the back burner. Have been able to do a few things , lots of metal work up front , there is now a panel that fills in left to right fender openings in front of the radiator area . You cant see it but behind the grille area there is a new gravel shield and side panels that will direct lots of air to the radiator . I installed the front accessory brackets that hold the alt, power steering and a air compressor delete pulley as well as the idler and tensioner assembly . Today I started to build my inner fender assembly .

Attached Files:

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

Glad to see you're still plugging away. This car has a very nice profile, it will be worth the work once it's completed. I know exactly how you feel about projects getting back-burner'd all the time, gotta keep the faith.

aw1950 likes this.
  26. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

From pattern to sheet metal . Inner fenders getting there

Hivolt5.0 and hacknwhack like this.
  27. Got me hooked now. Can't wait for the next update

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

aw1950 likes this.
  28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progresss!

aw1950 likes this.
  29. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Able to get a few hours into the inner fender fabrication today . Finishing off a void that looked out of place under the hood back corners . Getting some braces up under the inner fender , not pictured but using 1” x 1/8” flat bar . Screwed the paint up some so will have to paint parts of firewall again . Maybe opportunity for a color change . Not sure about the root beer brown . IDK !!!

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  30. IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1556.JPG IMG_1558.JPG IMG_1559.JPG IMG_1560.JPG IMG_1561.JPG IMG_1562.JPG View attachment 4387125 View attachment 4387126 View attachment 4387127 View attachment 4387128 View attachment 4387129 View attachment 4387130 View attachment 4387131 View attachment 4387125 View attachment 4387126 View attachment 4387127 View attachment 4387125 View attachment 4387126 View attachment 4387127 View attachment 4387128 View attachment 4387129 View attachment 4387130 View attachment 4387131

On holidays this week , am able to get some time in on the car . Was able to finish welding up the entire passenger fender and inner fender . That side is pretty much tied in . On to the drive side and progressing nicely . Starting to weld in a access escutcheon for the power steering return line . another 8 hours and this side will be ready for body work as well . Slow but sure , still going .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019