Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by chopolds, Sep 17, 2018.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm trying to get motivated into finishing up my 47 Chevy custom, and with Carlisle/Hershey coming in a few weeks, I decided to concentrate on finding a steering wheel for it. Now, I have already installed a 53 Buick dash, which I wanted for the huge chrome speaker grill in the center, that I can hinge, and hide my modern stuff behind (AC controls, radio, air ride). But for instruments, I grafted in a 48 Caddy cluster. The style of the build is late 40's early 50's, even if it is not entirely period perfect. I am running a straight 6 (though a modern one) to keep the build pre-54 in them, if not detail.
    So, I'd like to find a really good looking steering wheel to go with the style I've chosen. I am not overly crazy about using the Chevy butterfly wheel, though if pressed, I can live with it. The Crestliner is beautiful, but I'm afraid it may be too common, now that it's reproduced? Other Merc/Ford accessory wheels are nice, but usually too expensive to get and restore (though I can do anything but a full recast).
    So I'd like to find something different, beautiful, and hopefully available. I did a search and really like the 41-42 Studebaker Presidente wheel, but I'm sure it's either super expensive, or unavailable.
    Any other suggestions?

2. Squablow

Squablow

53 Dash.jpg The '53 Buick steering wheel is one of the coolest wheels ever in my opinion and definitely would be fitting of a late 40's look, plus it would make sense that a customizer who used that dash would also use that wheel. Pretty sure it's standard GM spline, too.

[​IMG]

3. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

What I do is just go shopping with a open mind instead of looking for a specific wheel or part. When you come across something it will hit ya like a sledge hammer. THAT'S IT! I GOT TO HAVE IT. Then it's time for the poker face. Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  4. 'Mo

'Mo

Ditto!!!
    (This one has the "Power Steer" horn button.)

[​IMG]

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang that is a good looking wheel. Around here the "too common" would be one of those butt ugly garish billet things that they sell at O'Reillys and Autozone.
    The steering wheel is the one thing you have to look at every time you drive the car an one of the main things people see when they look in the car so it needs to be right from the get go.

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

7. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I like the 61 Impala Sw.The Crestliner repro is like 1650!!!!.I'll pass.The 53 Buick sw is nice !

8. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Funny thing - first one I thought of was the '53 Buick Anniversary wheel, too.

9. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I vote for the 53 Buick wheel. It's super cool!

10. williebill

williebill

I just want to see your car finished... any recent pics?

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Sorry, williebill, no progress at all in the last year or 2.To many customer cars to try and work on (not easy with a bad hand, even after 2 surgeries).
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. If I don't find anything at Hershey, maybe Carlisle, I probably will go with the 53 Buick. Wish I could find the Stude one, though!

12. Probably hard to find but a Caddy wheel to match the cluster would be cool.

13. BJR

BJR

it's a Buick cluster.

14. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

8782EA61-3CDE-4401-8171-5F59F4158198.jpeg 676AC107-CC8B-482B-931B-9EFAE86DA14F.jpeg Post on the Hershey thread what you’re looking for, if anyone has one they will let you know. Last year I was looking for a steering wheel at Hershey and posted what I wanted and few guys responded. I found this one, it’s wasn’t cheap, nothing at Hershey is but I talked him down $75.

mgtstumpy and Okie Pete like this.
  15. kursplat

kursplat

brigrat, happen to have a thread on restoring that wheel. beautiful work

well bought

Dino 64 likes this.
  16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

17. The 53 Buick had beautiful steering wheel. I am going that route on my 51 club coupe. I will use the Buick column and a U joint at bottom to attach to a newer steering box. Planning to cut the rim diameter down an inch or so and have a new smaller rim cast for it. In the late 50’s my next door neighbor’s grandma had that Buick and I noticed the wheel back then and loved the steering wheel ever since. It just looks clean. Gathering all the parts now.

Wheels are important because you are holding it and looking at it whenever you drive.

18. I just checked my 53 wheel and found the 53 Buick splines are a larger diameter than the generic GM tilt columns.

Squablow likes this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

Good to know. Will need a Buick column to run it on then.

20. BJR

BJR

Why not mill out a bigger hole in the 53 wheel, and cut out the splined center of a newer GM wheel and weld it into the 53 Buick wheel. That is what I am going to do with my 53 Buick wheel, going on a GM tilt column.

21. That should work nicely if you want the tilt wheel. The GM column fits just inside the bottom of the Buick wheel, I think.

I want to use the Buick turn signal and thinner column for a more fifties look on mine.

Squablow likes this.
  22. I may have made an erroneous statement. My 51’s tilt column, which I will be replacing, has 5/8” od splines and just below, the shaft stub is apparently 3/4”. I thought that was standard GM when I checked it in comparison to my Buick wheel. I am not certain it is standard GM now. Others may verify or refute.

My Buick shaft top splines are 3/4” od, with a 36 spline count. The shaft diameter is 13/16”. I apologize for any previous misinformation.

23. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Buick, caddy are larger spline, chevy olds Pontiac small spline

24. The Crestline steering wheels are a thing of beautiful but out of my price range. :eek: HRP

25. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good price. i still have a nos one in the box that i bought for $35 eons ago. going on my '50. usually that horn ring is broken.

Dino 64 likes this.
  26. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

might not fit 20181010_104521.jpg

classiccarjack likes this.
  27. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

28. kursplat

kursplat

29. 53 Buick or boat wheel, Buick wheel has a place to engrave your name or cars name as well.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  30. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

ILOVE A PEARLCRAFT WHEEL ,BUT OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE!!!