Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Driving unfinished cars long term - Are you guilty?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I drove my coupe around for almost 2 years before I finished it. It was a mad thrash to get it together after painting it and make the Hot Rod Hill Climb in 2016. The car was painted but no interior or top on it. It even got featured in Roy Boy's 48 Cars in 48 States book that came out this spring. My wife and I finally got the interior done in May this year right before the Dirt Drags. Then another short thrash to install a fresh motor before the Hill Climb again this year. Now I think I am happy with it and consider it finished now. However I would like to change heads on the car and make another piece of linoleum for the floor mat. If I find a 2 carb set up I will change that too. So I will say its mostly finished now. HAHA

HOTRODPRIMER and Jet96 like this.
  2. donno

donno

I'm guilty X 3.

HOTRODPRIMER and bobss396 like this.
  3. Guilty, as charged! I was just glad to get it running......:D
    20180907_130240.jpg

4. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! While restoring my o/t Z/28.... It got rear ended by a drunk driver while parked...:mad:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. Retrorod

Retrorod

The car will never be "done"...it will be unfinished forever and it will be driven in whatever state it currently is in.

hotrodharry2 and seb fontana like this.
  6. That’s all my cars, I’ve never owned a “finished” car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Guilt times 2 although the Roadster is closer!:D:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Hence my username....Unshined

seb fontana and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yes, is there a better way????

10. I think my car is done until I have to put so much damn money in to it! 34dodge.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER, Tim and Jet96 like this.
  11. Guilty for 37+ years. Even Rocky can attest to my car being in 'suede' since the early '80s. Need to get off my dead a** and get it finished (or not). 55-kcmo-08-08.jpg

12. southerncad

southerncad

Does driving it with the original door panels, minus the material, no headliner, or carpet, just sound deadener, & just later model seats, for over 17 years count?

13. It does but your a novice, my old beater has been on the road for 30 years without a interior. HRP

hotrodharry2 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Guilty as charged, cuz I sold the parts I needed to finish!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. I've been driving my model a "as is" for eighteen years. It runs great, stops, & steers, so i didn't want to mess with it. I collected a lot of nicer parts in 18 years, I think this winter will hold a big change for it

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. 4tford

4tford

Yeah, I got everything to get it on the road and safe. I have new interior still in the boxes since 2004 and my hood off also to let the engine run cooler breaking it in. It's kinda funny going to a car show and come back to the car and find business cards for interior work.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Seeing, as how a true hot rod is never finished, don't we all?

HOTRODPRIMER and shadetreerodder like this.
  19. Whale - I kinda got two cars from my dad...actually we all got Mustangs when we turned 30.... as he had a bunch and also his SWB Chevy - he did leave me after....which he never finished putting the grille back in also.

Here's a rare late 70's pic of me and my dad (he actually let me drive it) coming back from Kansas in his - at the time 2+2 - which pretty much stayed the same through two thief's of it in the 80's ! dad and me and Stang 2.jpg

jnaki and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. [​IMG]

Yes, guilty as charged.
    Drove this for 17 years before finishing it.
    Looked a lot worse before the picture in primer and Indian blanket took place.
    I’d save up money to do something major to it then blow the cash on another hot rod or muscle car.
    Finally 2years ago my wife strongly urged me to finish the thing or else.[​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  21. My old coupe has been on the road almost 40 years. It also has never had any intreior. Just a bare bones Hot Rod. Some think that it's not finished. But for me it is.;) 055.jpg

22. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Put me in the guilty column.
    Too many never get done and enjoyed.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

37117840_2010482792298209_6900241251698737152_n.jpg

Great thread idea. I have been driving my Merc since '95, it was finished but I wanted to go back to a traditional style. So I have been driving the wheels off of it and getting a few improvements along the way. I'm blessed to have some kool friends that have helped me along the way. If it wasn't for them I would have not have been able to transform my Merc to what it is today. I enjoy driving it so much it will probably never be painted or get the interior finished. I can love with that.

24. That's how I got my moniker - hotrodprimer.

Correct me if I am wrong but I honestly believe I saw you coupe for the first time in Columbus,Ohio at the NSRA nationals in '87. HRP

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  25. trollst

trollst

My only finished car is my 36 pickup, but over twenty years of use was beginning to look very worn, so much so, I was used to it and just considered it to be a good looking well worn driven hot rod. Truth is, it was looking like I never gave a crap about it and it showed.
    So last winter I got busy and refurbished it to the point that it's beautiful now, but otherwise, I've never owned a finished car, they've all been rough and ready, driven hard and enjoyed.

26. I was guilty of it years ago, and some never got finished. I'm to the point now where I make it a point to finish them before they leave the garage because otherwise I know I'll never get them completely done. I must be using the patience and restraint I never had as a youth. ;)

2many projects likes this.
  27. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

When I posted this, I was actually in the process of painting the car in question. Now it is painted and the interior is finished. Since I have made restitution for my crime, could I possibly get my charges dismissed or at least reduced?. (Don't tell the judge that they are never "finished".)
    IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0011.JPG

28. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Once they are finished, they no longer have potential . Not my quote, but i live buy it!!

bobss396, Phillips and 47ragtop like this.
  30. lilmann

lilmann

Wait......you can finish a car project :0)

I’ve never heard of this strange word “finish”.....what does one do with a “finish”

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app