Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Iowa traditional hot rod and custom gathering and cruise.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justabeater37, Sep 28, 2018.

1. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good day all. A friend of mine and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a monthly gathering together plus an annual event. The general idea would be early hot rods and customs. Custom 49-51 Fords/Mercs being the newest cars save for the F1 and AD truck carryover body styles. No diesel, RR, muscle cars, land yachts or simple LS swapped cars either. Tastefully dressed LS motors considered.
    Looking to get a core group together across the state to put on a one Saturday a month gathering/cruise with a weeklong cruise sometime during the year. Picture a traditional hot rod and custom version of RAGBRAI minus the drunkenness , mess, and public sex. Looking for shop tours, local eateries, state/county parks, and other places of interest as cruise ideas.
    It is in its what if planning state right now, so just putting feelers out to see if there would be interest. People from other states are of course welcome as well.
    General idea is one Saturday a month getting together around 10:30-12:00 and doing lunch with an afternoon cruise with a couple of stops then supper someplace. the locals could make it home, the others could spend the night and head out after breakfast the next day. Thinking of May-October with 5 monthlies and then the weeklong tour. If we had hosts from around the state that would be awesome.
    Let's see if there is any interest out there.
    [​IMG]

Bowtie Coupe, AHotRod, Latigo and 8 others like this.
  2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I would welcome visitors to my shop in Green Mountain.

chop job and justabeater37 like this.
  3. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

4. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Id give it a go, but both vehicles have have close to being done are too new....

MMM1693 and justabeater37 like this.

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm not from Iowa, but it sounds like a great idea. W-A-Y more enjoyable sounding than an "organized" car show or event.....something intended for the participants more than the public. Staying away from local publicity about the get together would help keep it low key.

UNSHINED 2 and justabeater37 like this.
  6. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are still ironing out how we will cut off the year. We are just trying to get away from the bagged 4door "new" traditional thing and be truly traditional. Tri five Chevys and Ford are cool, but how do you include them but not the 4 door 53 Chevys? Trying for a Hot Rod Hillclimb/TROG/ Custom Car Revival type of vibe.

chop job and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  7. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I get it, someday I'll have a hot rod. It is a cool idea, I like it. I have a Unibody pickup and a 59 Ford Hardtop. And they just wouldnt fit that "early" look youre going for.... wish I could say I was at the 1st Annual...

"Build it----and they will come...."

8. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I like how you stated this....

justabeater37 likes this.
  9. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get started. you may still make it. I have a 63 F100 and a 55 Cad that don't make the cut either. And I am one of the ones making the cut...

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  10. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I said, people from other states are welcome as well. I don't care if people know we are coming, just trying to get away from the bands, pin up contests, and other stuff that took away the cruising and driving aspect that makes me want to build hot rods.

alanp561, David Gersic and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  11. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Ha! This is where I'm at right now....maybe 2nd annual.... 20180909_161646.jpg

12. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not against big shows mind you. I help out at some. Just trying to start something focused on the cars and people and not the circus. No awards, no contests, no BS. Just car people coming together to do what we meant our cars to do, Drive.

charleyw and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  13. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost done. Fire up the heat in the shop and it'll be done by spring.

Max Gearhead and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  14. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Never know, my mind changes everyday on what path I follow. I have the now typical Multi-Project Disorder.....

MMM1693, raven and justabeater37 like this.
  15. 5window

5window

Excellent idea. More like real hotrodding than shows or free for all cruise ins. Anybody have an idea what happened to the Spaulding chassis that used to be at the Iowa Museum of Transportation in Grinnell? Last I heard, is was in some bank vault when the museum folded. Damn! I paid to have a headlight restored on that car. Definitely a sole survivor.

Phillips and justabeater37 like this.
  16. Bugguts

Bugguts

I like the idea. Cruising is way more fun than sitting. Not sure mine would meet your criteria, as it’s not a TROG contender, but I’m interested and have friends with cars who love to drive.

17. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The chassis is on display in the Spaulding building along with a Spaulding horse drawn carriage.
    I believe the building has been taken over by the city and possibly other agencies for offices.
    Restoration work on the building continues and completed work has been done to a high standard.
    I talked to them recently about building/restoring a body for the chassis.

Phillips and justabeater37 like this.
  18. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not as strict as TROG, more along the Hot Rod Hillclimb.

19. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bugguts the car in your profile pic looks great to me.

20. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Your idea sounds a lot like AACA Tours. They meet at locations and tour local sites for 3 to 5 days. Visit museums have lunch and so on. Each driver had a set of driving instructions and go at your own pace. They have different types of tours for different cars. Brass era, pre war and longer tours for the more modern cars in the club. Sounds like a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Those tours are much like the reliability run they have on Friday of the hot rod hill climb. The rules for that run are looser than the cars that run up the hill. It s a ball.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Latigo and justabeater37 like this.
  22. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reliability run was fun. That is what we are looking to emulate, fun. That seems to be lost in most events anymore.

cactus1 likes this.
  23. ERguitar

ERguitar

Sounds great, as an Iowa native I'm definitely interested in this. Subscribed.

24. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Good idea, not certain which end of the state where it would take place ,East , West etc. however plenty of interesting areas to chose from. Ron

25. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The plan is to use the entire state. By having 5 individual runs I was thinking NW, NE, SW, SE, and Central. The week long event would encompass the entire state. Think waterfall tours, tourist traps, hole in the wall diners etc.

26. Let me know when you're planning to go to the west/central side of the state. I'm game if my car fits..see avatar

27. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

You would have support and shops to check out in NW Iowa for sure.

28. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it HAMB friendly? Still working out what we say "fits" trying to keep it traditional in a traditional sense, not neo-rockabilly traditional.

29. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

One of the cars from the hill climb and some trog worthy rides in the area.