Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Would a Dial-A-Jet be helpful, in conjunction with the shut-off?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

squirrel -

I know a couple of people that have run Port Injection on the street in the past. Small and big Chevy and a Ford.
    A fair amount of work and bad gas mileage is the common theme. Takes a lot of work on the barrel valve to make it truly street-able.

I know a guy that's friends with the owner of the port injected, silver Chevy II. I may be able to contact him if that's still your plan.

Mike

3. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not planning on running mechanical injection on the street.

4. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Might be a good idea to design swivel nuts with tethers, at the end of the day your tired and in a rush to switch to carbs. Bolt it all up and come up short 1 carb stud nut :oops:
    Spent an hour or two looking for it at the track with no success :mad:, push the car on a trailer and spend next day with intake manifold removed looking for it through plug holes using a bore scope, turn it over by hand :eek:
    (recheck with bore scope) then turn over with starter :eek:, lots of pucker factor when you finally start it.
    You never do find it o_O

raven, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

I expect that gluing the screen gasket to the top of the blower would be part of the plan!

6. typo, thanks

chryslerfan55 and HEMI32 like this.
  7. Here is the two port setup on our dragster... Four Bolts on the blower and a single fuel line to barrel valve.

May not have the "look"..

switchblade 005.jpg switchblade 002.jpg switchblade 005.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Jim, clarify port for me. I understood early in this post you didn't want it. In your defense, I took it to be at the base of the intake runner just before the head/heads. That's why I posted that style injection on the FED.

9. squirrel

squirrel

yes, that's what I meant by port nozzles.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Cool. 61cad's set up sure would be a lot easier.

11. squirrel

squirrel

that's pretty much what I have in mind, but using a hat instead of a vertical port setup.

chryslerfan55 and olscrounger like this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Now your toying with me. :)

chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  13. SCOTT1.jpg

Scott Slot has a very low profile...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  14. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

IMG_1514.JPG

Just seen this pic on instagram posted by hot rod magazine thought it was kool

kiwijeff, OFT, HEMI32 and 15 others like this.
  15. patman

patman

A safety consideration... When you are driving on the street, you’d store the injector setup in the car somewhere. You can’t empty it of fuel completely. Somehow you have to make sure the storage spot is ventilated so you’re not going to be inhaling gas fumes all the time, or worse yet it becomes a fire hazard.

16. squirrel

squirrel

That is something I have thought about.

17. squirrel

squirrel

I saw that picture tonight, too....sure is nice to have real photographers taking pics of my car for me! :)

Sancho, HEMI32, Gary Reynolds and 2 others like this.
  18. Two pots were early 60s injectors. It would look out of place on a a/fx car. By 65 they were obsolete. The hilborn horizontal and upright four ports along with the enderle bug catcher were the preferred choices.

19. Jiminy

Jiminy

I bet if I dug my old 1966/7 Hot Rod Magazines out of the back of the garage I would find grainy pictures which look an awful lot like Jim's 'Cuda

Runnin shine likes this.
  20. With enough playing around you can make a mechanical Injected car run just as smooth down the highway as a carberated car. My coupe runs really good on the street. I never even prime it to start it. I dont use the fuel shutoff to lean it out going down the road. I would drive that car anywhere. I have thought about putting a adjust a jet on it because I have went to car shows early in the morning when its cool then later in the afternoon when i leave and its hot out it runs rich. With the adjust a jet you can lean it out or richen it up on the fly. I run a hilborn 4 port on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rod1 and squirrel like this.
  21. Fordors

Fordors

Out of curiosity what kind of mileage do you get? Jim has a fair amount of driving from strip to strip during Drag Week.

22. kursplat

kursplat

small teardrop trailer

23. squirrel

squirrel

no trailer for me.

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I was told that a screen in a 6-71 cost 50 hp, never ran one on any race engine.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  25. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

26. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I wouldn't think that a screen would have to be very fine mesh to stop the ingestion of tools and hardware.

chryslerfan55 and brad2v like this.
  27. Jiminy

Jiminy

You already have a trailer - or did you sell it?

28. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I read a magazine article long ago, an interview with one of the famous mag builders. He said he'd been hearing for years that the resistance to rotation of a mag would cost 50 horsepower at high RPM. Said he didn't think it was quite that hard to turn them since he'd had thousands of them on his test bench over the past 20 something years and it was powered by a 1/4 horse electric motor.

Not intending to offend anyone, but being told something and having it be a fact are often not the same thing.

29. I run a screen on my car. It's a gasket with a screen between two gaskets. I'm alway surprised at the end of the year how many rocks were prevented from going down into the blower. The screen has about 1/8th inch holes. I won't run without one.

30. squirrel

squirrel

i have a trailer to haul a car on. I wont pull one on Drag Week with the race car.