Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Aerostar spring in a 56 Mainline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DUANE SCHNEIDERMAN, Sep 26, 2018.

1. DUANE SCHNEIDERMAN

DUANE SCHNEIDERMAN
    from PLATTE, SD

Just finished replace 3 in drop spindles with stock spindles and Aerostar springs. The results are amazing. Rides better, steers better and is all around a better handling car. Turning radius is much tighter also. Pics are before with 3 in drop spindles and after with stock spindles and Aerostar springs. I highly recommend this upgrade for the 54-56 Ford and possibly others.

Attached Files:

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

So not quite as low but performs better and springs are probably a whole lot cheaper and easier to install than drop spindles?

JeffB2 likes this.
  3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

From what I know the springs are a good swap, but how does that affect turning radius?

4. I have heard it's a great upgrade. Kind of wish I would have went the same route with my mainline instead. Ohwell. I dig your car @DUANE SCHNEIDERMAN

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. They work on some Fords better than others. Couple those with drop spindles and on some cars it winds up too low. I put a pair in my '59 Ford and it was TOO low with the 15" tires up front. There is another Moog spring that people should look at, the CC851.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  6. blackout

blackout

I installed the Aerostar springs in a 55. I cut off half the bump stop to give it some more travel before bottoming out. It would still bottom out over railroad tracks, etc. Looks cool, cheap and easy to do but I found it would bottom out too easy.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had them on my 56 for 3 years. the compound wound spring is a nice ride unless you take a dip too fast which is my only complaint. I keep looking for better shocks but getting specs is hard to find. If I could get some slower rebound I'd be a lot happier. Photo is stock and Aerostar.. 103_0909.JPG

8. Those are actually rear springs on an Aerostar... I see too many guys jumping on the bandwagon and they are not really a good spring as everyone thinks they are.

9. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don’t know what the OP used, but I used Moog PH CC850, front springs 2 wheel drive Aerostar, listed 86-97. Birds are a little lighter on the front end, so I’ve had no bottoming problems. Some have used a hard rubber spacer under the spring to raise it a bit, especially with dropped spindles. I love the way they work.

JeffB2 likes this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Shocks can be ordered with different in/out rates for 'rebound adjustment'...Years ago, our front end shop was able to phone-order "E-Z Ride" shocks in 10/90 to 90/10, and all in between. 'E-Z Ride' was a Monroe company.

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

12. gbhdrake383

gbhdrake383

Plus the cost. Lowering springs for a Mainline ain’t cheap but going the Aerostar route makes it very cost effective. Commenting on an old post I see lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.