Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods To Gasket or Not to Gasket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HuskerNation, Sep 26, 2018.

1. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

On my 37 Hudson 6cyl, there is a water jacket on the side of the block to feed coolant to the block for cooling and I’m not sure if I really need to use a gasket or just Gasket Maker when putting back together?

Most of the 18 bolts go thru & into the area where coolant will be in contact with the bolts and could be a source for leaks around the threads. 15+ years ago someone used plumbers putty on the bolt threads & red gasket maker but no gasket and I had no leaks. I’ve had some tell me to use some Permatex Ultra Grey gasket maker on both sides of a gasket when installed which is what lead me to wonder if I even needed the gasket. The bolts are stainless steel with stainless flat washers & a lock washer as was used before, and all threads thoroughly cleaned on bolts & in block (thread chaser). But I’m not sure what if anything I should use on the bolt treads when reinstalled to prevent leaks. I believe it’s a no pressure or very low pressure system as the radiator cap is maybe 4lbs.

If needed I do have gasket material, FelPro Cork-Rubber sheet in 1/16” & 1/8” which I could cut a gasket from and it would save time vs ordering one. All I would need is a correct hole punch for the 5/16” bolts. Ordering a gasket is possible but world take at least a week at around $40. I’m told the water jacket bolts take a very mild torque, I’ve gotta check but I’m guessing around 20ft/lbs, so not a lot of force there. The jacket mating surfaces is in great shape, nice & smooth.

So, I’d like to hear people’s experience on this before I decide to go a certain direction on it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

This is a big cover on the side of the block? What is it made of? Tin or cast iron?

I'd use sealant probably myself. On the bolt heads too.

seb fontana likes this.
  3. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

It’s a steel cover, roughly 17”x5”. IMG_0038.JPG

4. You need to use some sort of anti seize if you're using stainless steel bolts. Plumbers putty might have acted as such.

Sent from my SM-J327V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'd definitely use anti-seize on the stainless bolt threads. My preference on RTV is Ultra Copper. Never had a leak using it.

6. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Thanks for the reminder, I remember reading about galling as a possibility. Anti seize is my friend but dang it gets everywhere in no time! I wonder what would be ideal to use to prevent the galling and seal threads. I’m at least assuming I will need to seal threads somehow.

7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

1F598055-3A0C-4D1A-BDDC-FCF63A540E71.jpeg Me after using never seize

Truck64 and J. A. Miller like this.
  8. Make a gasket out of the stuff you have, use Permatex PST on the bolts and put it together

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. alchemy

alchemy

The gasket sealant should work as an anti-seize as well. I think the only real problem with stainless galling is when you have stainless on stainless, with a higher torque. You have neither.

10. slim39

slim39
    from pa

With anti sieze it is easy to wash my hands
    With out it sometimes it not so easy to get to get things back apart

11. kursplat

kursplat

anti-seize, the reason i should never get a white t-shirt :oops:

nochop likes this.
  12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I just rub anti seize behind my ears, face, neck, shirt and the part I'm working on.....that way I don't have to worry about getting any on me!:D:D:D

13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Permatex make Teflon paste thread sealer. Use that on the bolts.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I always use a gasket of some sort. Fun fact - on most aircraft Lycoming and Continental horizontally opposed engines there is actually a silk thread used as the "gasket" between each half of the block. It's put in with some purple aircraft gasket sealant.

Anyway, to the Hudson, I'd make or buy a gasket and add gasket sealer to both sides, though I like high-tack, not RTV. As for the bolts? The aforementioned anti-seize or teflon.