Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sears, Pennys, Montgomery Ward Auto Parts

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Cincinnati Slim, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

With Sears closing even more stores, the era of the department store is almost over. Few years back I started picking up Sears branded products.
    Anyone else collect their house brands? I know some of the older guys probably worked in the auto centers. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

3. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

4. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

[​IMG]
    Bought these last night from a store closing. Must have been in the maintenance room for years. Surprised no one threw them out.

5. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

6. Your thread is absolutely fantastic! I’m only 44, but it breaks my heart to see what has happened to Sears and the other department stores. I make my family’s living with my tools and most of them are Craftsman. I remember going to Sears with my Dad, Uncle, and Grandad shopping for tools. I also remember shopping at the other stores as well. Please keep the pictures coming of your collection.

7. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

8. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I’m only 43, but when I was little my family always bought our tires and batteries at Sears. My Uncle worked in the Auto Center for a couple years.

9. wisdonm

wisdonm

Of course i use Craftsman tools. I still use a Sears timing light and raced for years on American Torque Thrust looking wheels, can't say if they were real on not. I bought them at J.C. Penneys.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  10. I worked at Sears,Roebuck & Co. in shipping & receiving when I was in high school and it was a great place to work, I bought tools,tires & cloths and at that time Sears was a stand alone store,meaning it was not located in a shopping center or a mall.

The Sears I worked at had a huge tool department and I believe they had everything that was available in the store for purchase.

I also remember Sears had a large Christmas catalog every year, hate to see them close. HRP

11. williebill

williebill

I'll take a couple of those Merc motors at that price.
    Tough luck for you Limey guys, the MG motor is more than twice the price of the Merc.
    And it's half the size!
    Our local Sears closed a few years ago. By then, none of the employees acted like they gave a shit. I never blamed the employees, blamed the company.

12. And the Christmas wish books. HRP

ct-inside-sears-christmas-catalog-archives.jpg

302GMC, Kit Bash, woodz and 1 other person like this.
  13. And if you have some time to kill, the 1957 Sears wish book project will sure bring back memory's.

You can turn the 425 pages. HRP

1957 Wish Book

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    greg32 likes this.
  14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Growing up in the 50's and 60's I don't think most average families could have made it without Sears, J,C.Pennys and "MonkeyWards" My Mom always bought at least 90% of our clothes at Penny's and the Sears stores were our go to place for appliances, tools and almost any thing else we needed for years. The America we knew has been slipping away for years, the loss of these types of stores is just another reality of the changing times. Doesn't mean I have to like it though!

15. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

It's funny, if Sears had been on the ball, they could have been Amazon since they created the idea.
    I have a '63 Sears catalog and a '65 Montgomery Wards. Amazing how much stuff is in them.
    HRP, I remember getting the Christmas catalogs and circling what I want... most of the time I might have got one or two things.

weps likes this.
  16. When I was a kid we got the catalog and I penciled what I liked but more often than not the catalog with what I desired ended up in the out house when I was a kid.
    HRP

17. A couple of years ago, my Mom had mentioned something about the Toughskins jeans that we used to wear as kids, and I went looking for them for my son. Gone, nowhere to be found. You are so right about Sears being the first Amazon, they invented the concept. How their management missed this is beyond me. Now they have flushed a one time American institution down the shitter.

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I remember those damn jeans, we had those too, I hated them! They would never fade like the jeans the cool kids wore! Mom bought a lot of our clothes from Sears.

Living is small town USA, Sears was our window to the world. We didn't have the large department stores the cities had, so we ordered from Sears. I bought my first tires from Sears, ordered them through the mail, they delivered them to the local Sears jobber, I had to go pick them up. Never will forget them, Sears Superwide 70's, white letter bias plys. Then ordered two more 60's for the back to match.
    Bought a set of headers from them for my 454 Chevy pickup. When they arrived, the box had a hole in it, I should have sent it back. Little did I know the pack of header bolts that were included lost out that hole! I had never put any headers on before, didn't know any better, so I went and bought a sack full of washers and used the original bolts from the manifolds! Young and dumb! They never leaked though, and I never lost a bolt. Bought other auto stuff from Sears over the years too. A lot of it was re-branded items with their name on it, some I think may have been made to their specs. Those Superwide tires wore like iron, and left great black marks! No idea who actually built them.

Sears did indeed pioneer the order and get it sent to you market, but pretty much gave it up and went to brick and mortar stores, a big mistake. If they had of had the vision of the internet, they would have kept doing what they were doing, but by the time it came along, they were already in a state of decline.

We also ordered from a place called Aldens, it was sorta like Sears. And there was another company that I can't remember the name of, they had an auto section with name brand parts, maybe it was Western Auto? I dunno now, too many years ago.

19. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Ok, I'll throw out some other names that had auto parts, tools etc. from back in the day, in our area of Ohio anyway. Moores, Cussins & Fern, Western Auto, and Nationwide are the only ones that come to mind. There was also a store on west Broad street in Columbus, Ohio that my buddies and I went to every time we got a chance that had every kind of automotive nick- nack and doodad that you could think of along with some real speed parts that we couldn't afford. I can't remember the name of the place but the guy that owned it was a nice guy and always had the time to shoot the shit with us and treated us good.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its a shame those stores are a fraction of what they once were,since I still use late 60s Sears lawn tractors I picked up a 1970 farm and suburban catalog and it is amazing what was available. I loved looking at those wish books that came out around christmas.

21. I also loved their wish books at Christmas too. But I had them wore out by Christmas! lol I have collected many of them since, and still like looking through them. Some kids never grow up.:rolleyes: 20180927_054431.jpeg 20180927_055538.jpeg 20180927_055611.jpeg 20180927_055649.jpeg 20180927_055718.jpeg 20180927_055813.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Sears,Western Auto,Montgomery Ward not only had great auto departments,they also had great sporting goods departments also.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Truck64 likes this.
  23. Sears can KMA!!! Their current management has driven a great brand into the ground and they are treating life-long customers like dirt. I feel sorry for their employees who likely will be getting the shaft as well.

Regarding Craftsman tools, they've done a number on them, too, as the ones that Sears sells are Chinese junk. Note that they don't say "Made in USA" anymore. Fear not, though, as you can buy real Craftsman tools that are made in the USA at other retailers, such as Ace Hardware and I believe Lowes. I'm sure there are others. You can tell the good ones as they will say, "Made in USA."

24. How about the Sears Allstate Car?
    Which was a Henry J sold through Sears. I know all good H.A.M.Ber knew that

upload_2018-9-28_5-45-46.png upload_2018-9-28_5-45-21.png upload_2018-9-28_5-46-18.png

25. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Sears_1910_scientific_american.jpg Robert, and this well before the Allstate

Cincinnati Slim likes this.
  26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It was Montgomery Wards for us or Monkey Wards, as my dad called it. We ordered everything it seems like for the ranch. Our Lincoln cracker box welder says “ Montgomery Wards” on it. They also provided my dad with his favorite mud grip tires for our trucks. We mounted them by hand, with hammers and screwdrivers and broke the beads by driving the front wheel of a truck up on them. Tuff days back then. We never hired hardly anything out ,did most things our self, to save money. Our labor was free!
    My dad was old school, came through the depression and the “ Grapes of Wrath “ times. He told me only the rich Okies went to California, our family was too poor to go.
    It took a word war to get him to California.

Edit: Even my dads 30:06 has Montgomery Wards on it!
    Bones

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  27. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I have my father-in-law’s battery charger from Montgomery Wards and a automotive wiring book I bought at JC (“Jacque”) Penny.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Outhouse? You ain't that old lol

29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I love me some Craftsman tools. If something broke you could get it replaced 7 days a week. Had to wait if it was Snap on or Mac. You could load up on their socket sets when on sale. Had a Montgomery Wards air compressor that lasted from the sixties until 2014.

30. Black & Decker has purchased the Craftsman line, although in the agreement Sears retains the right to sell them, too. Sears will be selling their Chinese junk in their stores while B&D will be making the hand tools in the USA and selling them through various outlets. B&D will be offering the same replacement service, even if it is one of the Sears Chinese tools that broke.

lothiandon1940 likes this.