Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Fairlane Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jeff Butland, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Jeff Butland

Jeff Butland

I've been watching this 55 for almost a year and finally talked to the guy and bought it. It's a 55 club sedan, with a 350 small block chevy engine with a front 55 chevy front clip welded in. Front disc brakes. Body is decent, interior needs a lot work, floors have holes. First thing I did was rebuild carb, new plugs, and cap/rotor. She's running pretty good now. I've been working on the brakes, trying to get them to work better by adding a new master cylinder and brake booster. I've having issues with a hard brake pedal. Spent some good time rebuilding the doors, with new key locks, striker plates, pins, and a new driver side window. (work in progess). Currently I'm taking a night class down the street for auto body, so I can fix the floor. Try to take one or two things at at time. Plan is to get floors fixed, fix a couple of rust spots the outside, fix the interior back to mostly original, and some decent tires. These bias ply tires look cool, but I want to feel safe driving this thing. I'm digging the dog dish hub caps, most likely leave them, just some new black paint on the rims. IMG_3027.JPG IMG_3028.JPG IMG_3029.JPG IMG_3030.JPG IMG_3032.JPG IMG_3033.JPG

2. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Looks really cool! I would try my darndest to keep that patina. Running and driving are first concerns. That rust will hold if you have covered dry storage. Just repair the structural stuff first.

CapeCodBob, 3340 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

congrats - some challenges to deal with but, you will figure it all out

4. Jeff Butland

Jeff Butland

Yea the plan is to preserve and keep the patina as it's the original paint. Running pretty good now, just need to make it safe and keep the water out of it. I've got all new weather striping and felt kit coming for the doors and windows to keep the rain out. Right now after rain, I have wet floors.

3340 likes this.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool project.. Like the patina...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. 4tford

4tford

Love the 55 fords that was my first car enjoy the hell out of it.

7. Wow... a complete car.... that would be a novelty for me. Looks like a good project. See if it uses the dog-leg seals on the front doors, those help keep water out of the cab.

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

55 Ford was my first car, took out the 272 and put in. 430 Lincoln engine in. Had a lot of fun with that car.

Bones

Old wolf and deathrowdave like this.
  9. Nice car, congratulations. :)

10. Congrats!! Looks like a great project. I love the 55-56 fords.

11. Nice car! Congrats. Not to be a downer but you will most likely find more rust behind the rear wheel opening stone guards.

56 ford custom likes this.
  12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Well at least you dont have to worry about the front crossmember being rusted out like these are known for, with that chevy clip (Built ford tuff with chevy stuff;)) Yeah thats a pretty neat ole car with its patina but if you were ever gonna think of painting it, Now might be the time if you could bring it in for a class project, I helped a guy build his roadrunner while taking a autobody class, Cost would have been prohibitive of building it if it hadnt been for all the free labor and I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a thing or two from the experience:)

13. 62rebel

62rebel

X2 on the front crossmember. Mine was a piece of fine Irish Lace when I got my '56. Then again, so was the rest of the car from the ground up 6"

14. Good looking car bud, if you ever need parts for it give Don Stickler in NC a call. he's got a ton of 55/56 cars and parts on hand.

56 ford custom likes this.
  15. KKrod

KKrod

Great looking car. My first car was a '55 c
    Customline with Victoria trim.

16. Cool car! I especially like the chevy clip/engine! My last 55 was rust free except for the dreaded rusted front crossmember. 55crossmember1small.JPG 55ford4.JPG

17. Nice car. The chevy clip and engine don't hurt anything. However If those bias plys are solid and you don't drive like a mad man. They are just as safe as radials made overseas that can fail at any given moment. And I like the look of the bias plys.

18. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I'm jealous. I've always had a weakness for "55"-"56" Fords. You know you'll get static about the clip and engine. Have fun, enjoy and keep us posted on progress. I'm still jealous.

19. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

GOOD LUCK,IM DOING A 56 VICTORIA.PICS IN MY PROFILE.

20. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

21. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I dig it. I have a 55 Vicky. Been driving it since 1992.

mikhett likes this.
  22. Third character in serial number indicates the assembly plant. A would indicate Atlanta plant. If it's an Atlanta car, my father leaded the seams on it. He worked there 1952-82. I have a '55 Ford Town Sedan (Fairlane 4 door) that my parents bought new.

23. Jeff Butland

Jeff Butland

Thanks for the info guys.

From my serial number the car came out of the San Jose factory and was sold out of a LA dealership. I got a book that gives you all the details. I believe this forest green is the original paint.

I think I'll hold off on the tires, as I do like the look of the white walls. I know Coker and BF Goodrich sells a radial that look like the old bias ply but are pretty expensive. I got a bunch of parts from tee-bird.com that will keep me busy for a while. I'm rebuilding the doors with all new glass and weather striping. I got patch panels for the floors as well. Interior needs work. Got it registered and inspected so shes good to go for now.

'Mo likes this.
  24. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You may want to check out Diamondback tires a lot of good reviews have been posted here too.

25. If you like a thinner white wall, go with Hankook 724 radials. I have them on my '59 with the black wall side showing. Fortunately the '55 and '56 have lots of parts available for them.

26. Jeff Butland

Jeff Butland

Started working on the floors. Plan is to cut and fit the new panels. I'll use screws to hold it together, then weld spot holes. Remove the screws and weld the holes. I have seam sealer I'll put on at the end as well as POR-15 the entire floor to seal it all in.

Attached Files:

Ford52PU likes this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Really like those Ford Tri 5 post cars. Nice score.

Gary

28. Nice car.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Tinted glass, nice! I wouldn't be afraid to paint it, and your auto body class would be a good time to do so, as mentioned. It looks like you have a green interior, which may limit your color choices. 2 tone green, or green and white, perhaps? Best of luck, my first car was also a '55 Ford, but extremely rusty. Rusted everywhere but the dreaded front crossmember, but that may have been replaced when a previous owner installed a 390 in it.