Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hood scoops on street cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Sep 25, 2018.

1. I would like to hear what the members have to say about hood scoops on street cars. I'm not talking about race cars, strictly street cars. I've been looking at 'em for years, some are hideous, some look great. I've noticed that most aren't needed, they are for looks, and that is what i'm asking about. Bolt on vs molded/bonded on, cut a hole so it actually lets air in? paint it black inside to hide lack of hole? LoL So lets hear what you have to say! as always pictures help. (edited for clarity)
    Here's a couple I've got laying around.
    IMG_3814.JPG IMG_3815.JPG

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    fauj and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

If you don't need it, then it makes you look like a poser.

3. I have thought about that. One way to think about is it's an accessory just like all the shiny stainless down the side of the car.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Well...sort of. But it's different, the side trim is intended to dress up a car, and a scoop is intended to let air into the engine on a hot rodded car.

don't worry, there are plenty of folks who are impressed by a scoop that doesn't need to be there.

5. How 'bout this one? I'm pretty sure it's not needed for clearance. Looks good to me. I'm just trying to get a discussion going not defend a position.

mufp_0803_bird_12_z+1957_ford_thunderbird+hood_scoop.jpg

6. squirrel

squirrel

It is needed for hood clearance, the oil bath air cleaner that fits over the teapot carb comes very close to the top of the scoop.

125356_Engine_Web.jpg

7. Louvers are the answer for you.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If that's a T Bird, it came from the factory that way. Gets a pass.

XXL__ likes this.
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Exactly! A sweet set of louvers on that hood would look cool AND be traditional. (if that still means anything)

belair and chevy57dude like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Putting a scoop on a car that doesn't need it is also traditional, if you want to do it, go ahead! You're right that it can be considered a styling accessory. It's just that the guys with go fast cars will get a chuckle out of it.

31hotrodguy and 19Eddy30 like this.
  11. here's a couple more. now remember this post is about street cars, so a scoop would be more of a accessory than a functioning speed part. these pics were swiped off the interweb. 9b84f8d70100e64eb8241a71b853478f.jpg drivewayshot2.jpg hppp_0712_03_z+1961_pontiac_tempest_wagon+scoop.jpg

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I was a high school poser, is that acceptable?
    20160322_174901.jpg

-Brent-, swade41, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

DSC02926.JPG 7.JPG I've been changing my '55 around some and trying to decide the same thing. It had fenderwell headers, piecrusts, roll bar, healthy motor, etc. I've now lowered it, full exhaust, eliminated the roll bar and slicks and put a bench seat back in. Here's my scoop that you might like, but I'm still on the fence as well.
    Note: The scoop is functional

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Agreed.
    Few added on scoops are appealing to me. You just can’t have enough louvers.

chevy57dude likes this.
  15. Squirrel you're leaning towards the race car side of things. I love the look of your 55 with the motor hanging out but that's comparing apples to oranges.

16. I think most of us are posers in some way.

belair and 31hotrodguy like this.
  17. louvers are awesome on the right car, but are they really necessary? or more of a styling statement?

18. what difference does it make who installed it from an aesthetic point of view?

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make a good movie title! High School Poser :cool:

31hotrodguy and scotty t like this.
  20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I tend to say both...necessary and functional and also a styling statement.
    Scoops on the other hand are just a styling statement without being truly functional on most cases.
    Similar to fake eyelashes and purple hair.

scotty t likes this.
  21. Around 1970 I had this 53 Ford that was 99 percent street driven (only car) with a finned aluminum scoop, that you saw on quite a few cars back then. However, it was powered by a 409 Chev & a 4-speed so that kinda took it out of the poser category.

Mick
    53ford1.jpg

22. Very cool car! Buuut was the scoop for clearance/ventilation or just looks?

23. now remember guys this discussion is NOT about me or my car just scoops in general.
    here's a couple more. Since this is not a restoration site, to me it is irrelevant who installed it, Henry or hillbilly Ford58TbirdSilver6.jpg 58ford65583-3.jpg

31hotrodguy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm hit and miss on this one. What would Smokey and the Bandit have been without a trans am featuring a non-functional, fake as hell, shaker hood scoop? It aint a T/A without one. (non functional since the SD era)

And if my son put one on a hot rod? I'd tell him "there is no way, no way! that you came form my loins..."

scotty t likes this.
  25. The world is full of fake poser cars. It doesn't need another. If you do decide to put it on don't stop there. Go all the way. Put a fake moon tank in the grille along with a fake blower or injection that goes over the carb. A few reproduction racing stickers in the rear quarter window and your good. Dont forget the drive inn tray full of fake food. You should be able to clean up at the car shows. Good thing you have a big trunk to haul all of the trophies home.

greasemonkey54, Gammz and tfeverfred like this.
  26. You apparently have no reading comprehension. You missed the point entirely.

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Careful...the villagers are coming :rolleyes:

rsss396 and scotty t like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This one fits the style of the car. IMG_4787.JPG

swade41, catdad49, Bearcat_V8 and 2 others like this.
  29. papajohn

papajohn

I need a scoop on my 60 olds to clear a tripower. I'm thinking something big and flat like the one from a 63 tbird. Just need a hood to cut it from.

scotty t likes this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces

How about a '67 Vette stinger scoop on a '57 Chevy???.... :rolleyes:

chevy57dude and scotty t like this.