Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods LOST Nut..in intake...HELP..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 16ozSchlitzMan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Don’t mean to beat a dead horse, but you could use a combo of compressed air and vacuum cleaner.
    Vacuum is kinda misunderstood, you cannot “ suck” something out of a hole. Atmosphere pressure has to push it out. If there is no source of air at the bottom of the hole, which is where I would guess it to be, it cannot be “ sucked” out. If that port has the small hole in the gasket, it would not allow enough air through to move the nut. If that port has the large hole, your nut is in the bottom of the block, and more than likely the head would have to come off.
    It’s been a while since I worked on a sbc, can’t remember, what under that port.

Bones

pitman likes this.
  2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'd try rotating the engine again to where the cylinders are perpendicular to the floor. Then I would shake the block but not hard enough to have it lose balance and drop to the floor. Then I would try the magnet again. I can't see how it would go down and not fall back out. But if it were me, for peace of mind, I'd pull the head and get that little bugger out. Let us know the outcome.

3. So you think that the water ports are large enough to get the nut out...??

4. Might try this tomorrow...like you mention..it went it it might come out!!!

5. squirrel

squirrel

the freeze plug hole and water pump hole are closer and larger than the water holes in the deck surface.

6. yes I did take out the freeze plug on that side...no luck....might try it again tomorrow and shake the engine a little more and see if it will dislodge itself...then try the magnet or maybe some type of small diameter suction tube..

7. Take the engine off the stand, hold it over your head and shake it vigorously. That always works for me...................:rolleyes:

rjones35, lewk, wandi harry and 4 others like this.
  8. I would put it back together and run it. Once the thermostats in the nut can not pass through it if the water flow was strong enough to pick it up and move it. Second if it went down into the block it could be between the cylinder and even with the head off you might not get to it. good luck

papadaddio and olscrounger like this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

My first thought....

10. Slopok

Slopok

Were you wearing cuffed jeans??? Just sayin'!o_O

rjones35 and Truck64 like this.
  11. Wayyyyy over thinking it. Leave it as is. Forget about it. I dropped a freeze plug in a fresh 400ci. Ran fine for over 20 years. That little nut is not going to cause any problems lay in the water jacket somewhere.

papadaddio likes this.
  12. Yup wouldn’t think twice about running it, waste of time pulling a head etc.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Same thing happened to me in intake manifold I taped a shop vacuum to manifold sealed it completely and listened for the noise of the nut rolling up the hose Successfully removing it

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's like the new math they speak of these days. 3 = bolt dia. 16 = wrench.

15. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Before you get to involved with taking it apart
    Why not rotate the engine and tap the area with a small hammer
    Worth a try
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Water hose it out.

rjones35 likes this.
  17. Maybe when you rotated it, it went through the intake to the other side ???

18. greybeard360

greybeard360

It will still be in the coolant passage in the head. It is too big to go thru the holes on the deck surface and head gasket so it can't be in the water jacket in the block. If you are 100% sure it went into the thermostat opening... Leave it be, nothing it can harm.

olscrounger and squirrel like this.
  19. BJR

BJR

I would do a serious garage cleaning. Move everything off of the floor and sweep the floor and go around bench legs with a big magnet. If you find it great, if not, finish putting it together and run it.

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone venture to guess how many freeze plugs were pounded into blocks and left when they leaked and a new one put in.....me neither. Forget it......

Algoma56 and Truck64 like this.
  21. I have to say it, sorry, but they are core plugs not frost or freeze plugs....carry on I feel better now

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Blue One likes this.
  22. Been away for a bit..anyways I'm ready to install it...leaving the nut inside no luck removing it.....sometimes I wonder......"did it really drop that nut into that hole"...Have to mention I did get a frost plug stuck into the block..that took about an hour to get that dam thing out...this engine is out to get me...will report back soon on the running phase...

Rex Stallion likes this.
  23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That nut went back to the Lord. Godspeed.

24. I'm a man of the cloth....

Attached Files:

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  25. hallrods

hallrods

I have had luck fishing things out with that refrigerator magnet. You can buy it in a long strip and cut it to make it fit in the openings.

26. I gave up..the motor is in...I just finished it today......I will pray my son..

Attached Files:

27. rjones35

rjones35

I've had that happen! and had a screw or something like that that disappeared get stuck on my shoe somehow.

Truck64 likes this.