Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Engine - 39 Transmission

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lilred36, Aug 20, 2018.

1. I bought my transmission with the adapter included off of ebay but there wasn't any e-brake, pedals & wishbone brackets. I sent pictures to Dennis @ Clings and he told me that it wasn't one of his. He said that there were several companies making them back in the day. Mine has no identification on it so I don't know who manufactured it. I bought what was missing from Clings and everything bolted right up.
    77 - 1939 V8 transmission with Clings adapter.jpg

Tiny likes this.
  2. Call Dennis, he'll fix you right up.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

So does a guy need the pedal mounts and the hydraulic adapter? Or both....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Final answer is going to come from Dennis Cling. My understanding is that the pedal mounts will get you back to the Model A mechanical brake system. If you want hydraulic brakes you are going to need an adapter for the master cylinder. This could be his, someone else or something you design and build. I kind of like the one that utilizes a beefed up battery box. Unless I missed something Clings bracket mounts a single not dual master cylinder if that is important to you.

Charlie Stephens

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Another thing to consider, is a couple of the rear pan bolts are not accessible after welding the B lower housing to the A pan. You would need to figure out a way to access them.

6. I did not know that. I have all the parts I've just never put it together

7. Think I sorted it today. Used original caps and rubber ball. Lowered front end onto back of wishbone which gave me good pressure to get bolts tightened. Looks correct received_258599314779880.jpeg

Nailhead A-V8 and 1stGrumpy like this.
  8. Lilred36

Lilred36

Next question, since I haven't found a '39 transmission yet, but have been looking. What's the best inspection process? I know what to look for on antique tractors, am assuming it's much the same.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Lilred36

Lilred36

10. Lilred36

Lilred36

What rear bearing retainer are you using there? Looks like a stamped steel collar.

11. Yes, the arms were removed from the bearing retainer. They were already removed when I got the transmission.

12. Lilred36

Lilred36

That makes sense, I'll get to do some trimming then!

13. Actually, the left side is the only one that needs trimming so it will clear the battery box.

14. Lilred36

Lilred36

Probably true, but it occurs to me that it'll look cleaner (smoother) with both trimmed and blended.

1stGrumpy likes this.