Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical purpose of spring loaded shackle?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by land, Sep 2, 2018.

1. land

land

37 dodge sedan...... w/ parallel leafs on front axle rear spring shackle on drivers side, has a link captured between w small coil springs.....like large valve springs rear of right side spring is mounted normally to frame....both springs have normal looking shackles on the front of the frame. This mechanical arrangement would let left spring lengthen or shorten maybe 3/4 inch left front wheel could then move forward or rearward also....Why??? thanks, land.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. Got a picture?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Yes, post a pic if you can. Seen some weird stuff on 30's cars......had a Hudson with one front spring had reverse eyes and the other not. Looked factory.

4. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Auburn used this setup for their 1932 cars. It was called a "Kick shackle"
    I have heard 2 stories as to why they were fitted to the cars.
    1) To counter vehicle tracking with "High crown" roads...
    2) To counter compensate for when there is only the driver in the car (weight bias)
    I am not claiming either of these to be TRUE

**Strangely enough, they were discontinued for 1933**

5. they are called hassler shock absorber
    [​IMG]

Truck64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. I would assume that these would help in negotiating the rather primitive roads of the era and make it more comfortable for the occupants while doing so.

7. BJR

BJR

I think it was to reduce road shock and vibration felt in the steering wheel.

8. land

land

The r/s spring with the solid rear spring mount would tend to move the axle forward when a bump was encountered....whereas on the left side a bump would tend to compress the small spring, leaving the left side axle in a more neutral position, maybe the proximity to the draglink on this side made it somewhat worthwhile, perhaps a method of sorts, to lessen bump steer ...... anyhow,discontinued, new independent suspension for 1939

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I believe BJR has the answer.