Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Volvo M40 Transmission Conversion in Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarcusJ, Nov 16, 2014.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Just curious, torque tube or open drive?

2. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Kev - photos on your car at Pendine would be great! Wish I could go one day.

Here is a film from Dust Bowl Blues dirt track race last weekend. You will notice the quick shifting between 2nd and 3rd :) to have the extra gear (3rd) made all the difference. We drove it hard and the conversion worked perfectly!

3. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Open,

4. dualquads

dualquads

mine is an open drive to a 40 rear axle with a hot rod works open drive conversion. sadly the car wasn`t running for Pendine so I was only spectating but a great time was had by all ! it will hit the road soon.

kev

Dannerr likes this.
  5. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink

This is how I solved the torque tube issue.
    I made a adapter in the rear and a new output shaft ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464692551.764334.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464692576.682520.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    alanp561, 97, fiveohnick2932 and 5 others like this.
  6. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink

7. My plan as well (after 1st of sept! #HouseWorkBeforeHotRods)... How did you make it? Did you get it to fit the stock torque tube length? :)

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  8. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink

I fabricated a new output shaft with the model a ford splines and the rear adapter is made so I can use the stock length on the torque tube.
    I have used a model AA bellhouse to get the right length.
    I also made a adapter in the front to fit the Volvo bearing to the flywheel assembly just like Marcus did.

9. How did you fab the output shaft? :) That's my biggerst concern in my project! Not sure, if I can cut the stock M40 output shaft to Ford teeth, without loosing strength of the teeth - and with the voilence, I'm going to give it, a shrink fit bushing-solutions is my very last way out of this problem, as I'm sure, it'll not last very long...
    I wanted to/will eventually make the rear adapter to accomodate the ball bearing from the M40, as well as a seal around the out shaft... knew it could be done, and still keep the stock torque tube!! :D Hate I got beat to it, but #HouseWorkBeforeHotRods!

10. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink

I work as an gear technician at the plant were they use to fabricate the m40 gearbox so a fabricated a new output shaft.
    It's not easy the mill the ford splines to get the right strength because of the flank angles on the stock splines. You will have to heat treat the splines after milling and you will get distortions so you have to compensate for that

I used the same # of ballbearing in the rear with a seal in it so the oil doesn't leak out.
    If you fabricate a adapter in the back of the gearbox you have to add to the calculation for assembly of the gearbox and some screw holes will interfere with the shift axles.

The total length of the gearbox with AA ford bellhouse will be 3 mm longer then a stock model a gearbox but that's the closest you can get so you have maximum strength of the bolts that holds the torque tube

Herb Kephart likes this.
  11. Did you only make one out put shaft? And will you be able to make more in the future? :D
    Remaking a new output shaft (on the right tools and with the correct material) was an option, I knew it would eventually come to, but I "only" have acces to normal lathes and mills - so it would take me a very long time to make... Fun time, but if I were able to buy output shafts from you, I'd be able to have it in the car(s...) at the end of the fall, still being able to enjoy it this season! :cool:

12. ebtm3

ebtm3

I would be interested in a rear shaft also, if you could be talked into making more. I have thought of doing this numerous times, and probably could in my shop, but being able to buy one would get the project off ''top dead center''.

PLEASE?

Herb

kevinwalshe likes this.
  13. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Please make more. I'd be very interested in purchasing one as well.
    Kevin

14. NAP1947

NAP1947

Interesting reading especially the use of B20 drive trains for European hot rods.
    I got dumped on pretty heavy here for considering a B20B in a 52 MGTD as a Resto mod, was told I should not be on this board.
    Been loitering ever since.

Dannerr and Herb Kephart like this.
  15. I'll do the same on my project.
    Using original '32 frame and a M40 behind a French Flat.
    I want to keep the closed drive shaft.
    @Rat_Fink can you share your plan to make the rear mount and release bearing adapter ?
    Thanks !

Dannerr and Herb Kephart like this.
  16. I just pick up this M40 trans today.
    This is the strongest M40, from a 140 b20.
    With an Amazon top shifter.

P1050888.JPG P1050889.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. G28T

G28T

To use a M40 and keep the torquetube

Attached Files:

joakimnj, Dannerr and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Nice !

Can you share the plan to make it ?

19. Yeah, especially how you solved the problem with the output shaft!

20. G28T

G28T

1937-39 Chevy transmission has the same 10 splined mainshaft (output shaft) as early Volvo M40. So you can use an u-joint that is 37-39 Chevy in one end and 28-48 Ford in the other end

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Dannerr like this.
  21. But what about the length? Doesn't the M40 with your adaptor and U-joint housing require shortening the torque tube?

22. G28T

G28T

Yes, you have to shorten the torquetube, but I want to use an overdrive.

Attached Files:

23. So you are already modifying it - gotcha! :D

24. And why not use the original flange and half U-joint from the Volvo ?
    No room enough ?

25. G28T

G28T

I don't think it's so easy. Many people have been thinking a lot of how to keep the torquetube when they use the M40 trans.

26. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

ive got an M40 which is going to connect to a torque tube, this isn't the best pic but the only pic I have just now. The rear output shaft was modified to suit the ford UJ.

Attached Files:

• MM 2.JPG
      MM 2.JPG
      File size:
      91.7 KB
      Views:
  27. My plan to put a M40 in a '32 stock frame doesn't work.
    This trans is a little bit to long behind a flatty.

28. Mart

Mart

Giving this one a bump as I'm looking at a M410 swap soon.

studebakerjoe and rusty valley like this.
  29. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@Mart Hopefully you'll be covering it in one of your videos.

30. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.