Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Driving unfinished cars long term - Are you guilty?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Finished cars are for making a living

Unfinished cars are for enjoying
    Honestly I bored with them once they’re “finished”

2. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

As soon as they can go down the road and stop, turn, and backup, they go down the road. I keep working on them till I am satisified. They are to be driven.

anthony myrick and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. <------ Does +/- 30 years and counting qualify "long term" ?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. You bet it does! :D HRP

5. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

The reason mine isn't painted yet is because I'm really pickey. I know it'll be a Lotta work taking it all apart to paint it properly so I enjoy it as it is. One day I'll paint it. The two main comments are nice low rider or what color you gonna paint it? 20170930_154108.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

How about a few more picture! Nice ride for sure!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. That's a strangest looking MoPar I've ever seen. :D

Max Gearhead and 56don like this.
  8. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

Thanks man I appreciate it! Don't have many...heres the other side and the motor..Just lowered. ..handles and some trim shaved. Motor is original (just cleaned up) and some 2" white tucknroll to be comfy. 18120.jpeg 20180202_194427.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Only 5 years driving my unfinished coupe, enjoy driving it too much in the summer to stop and work on it, and always seem to be too busy in the winter to get to it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Arominus

Arominus

My 57 desoto is hitting the road in rough shape cosmetically. Primered front clip, some original paint elsewhere, holes in the rockers. Original door panels (ok enough shape). Maaaaaaaybe carpet?. Red 68 New Yorker power bucket seats. I’m getting mechanicals good to go first then I’ll drive it and worry about paint once I can rip around in it.

11. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Me too. Drove my model A for years "finished" enough to drive and enjoy it.

Cliff Ramsdell

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I drove my convertible one season without the top. What a pain that was , trying to keep rain off the interior. Never again will I do something like that. The sad part of that is that I never made the top power operated until 5 or 6 years after that. I had the pump and cylinders just didn't install them. Now that the top is power I have it down a lot more than before.

13. Fish or cut bait? If the car is laid up being worked on or in paint jail... no can drive it! Plus a primered car pisses off the neighbors. Win-win. Lots of bonuses go with driving a car in primer, birds can crap all over it, who cares? Spill beer on it, quite okay. Can park it anywhere and not worry about it. I lay wrenches and parts, coffee cups on the fenders. I'm still working on it and paint would get in the way. Painted cars attract attention, from the cops and people who may want your car without giving you $$ in exchange.

R A Wrench likes this.
  14. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

15. 2FordGuy

2FordGuy

16. Scruffy49

Scruffy49

Ummm... yeah.

Uncle gave me a truly junk 32 Vickie when I was 10. I’m 46.

Car has no glass, no paint and a 60 year old apple crate bolted to the floor is the only seat. Sat in a Wyoming field for decades, got it with a couple 40 and 35 coupe shells he actually wanted. Body looks like a pasta strainer, hundreds of bullet holes in it.

Runs, drives, stops and steers. Tie the doors shut and it goes bouncing around the pasture. Way too far gone to actually build, but...

I’m just outside Memphis. Car is still outside Roy Washington. His great grandkids love it.

17. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

My '37 gets more unfinished every time I drive it, as more running board rubber flies off, and the old paint looks worse every time I look at it. I have a few things that I do need to clean up some engine bay "temporary" fixes(that are several years old now), and will eventually redo interior, but I have no plans to "finish" the exterior, or do much but upholstery in the interior.

18. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Guilty as charged,I,d never drive a thing if i didn't.I have put a ten year limit on driving my chopped cars without side glass .nice easy achievable target,but side glass always seem to be the last thing,I have no idea why

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Hell yes, I wont let not being able to afford a nice interior and paint stop me from enjoying and making memories in our old cars.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. I don't know if I have ever really "finished" a car. Seems like there is always something that I need to finish on one. Either that, or constantly changing what I already have done. I am afraid if I actually finished one to my satisfaction that I would sell it because I enjoy working on them a lot more than driving them. My current avatar still does not have the headliner installed after 20 years...its still folded up in the trunk.

21. Won't go any faster with paint and upholstery, so............ 34savethesalt9_18.jpg

bobss396, Countn'Carbs and jnaki like this.
  22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

just popped back in to check things out and found this post by Danny. mine seems to be in a constant state of unfinished, thou this winter it is getting an interior job..

[​IMG]

jrbunch likes this.
  23. jrbunch

jrbunch

In 40 years, I'm trying to remember if I have ever finished a project. I have two ongoing projects, when the good weather is over and they go into the garage for the winter, I'll work on them some more. I doubt very much they will ever be finished... close but never.

24. Paint, Upholstery, Fresh running gear, I've had 2 out of 3 a few times, that's about it.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This time around I don't intend to drive the 48 until it is finished with paint and interior or it will never get finished. Second reason is some poor bastard would die on the spot the first time he said "nice ratrod" upon seeing unfinished.
    In the past It never got finished because most of the time it was my only running and licensed vehicle. The winters I had something reliable to drive it was torn down for more changes and would probably have been finished if I had quit making changes.
    It did get fresh primer on a regular basis every year it was in primer. Usually a couple of days before the Vintiques show in Yakima every year. A couple of times rolling up to registration with the fresh paint smell all too obvious.
    A lot of it for me was just the simple fact that life got in the way. I probably have too many hobbies and interests and am just as happy out on my boat as I am out in my hot rod, Life's too short to be the boring guy who only has one interest or hobby and does nothing else.

26. John Starr

John Starr

Define unfin
    Signing my name to that great statement... :)

anthony myrick likes this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Guilty as charged., Had to do a bit of research to figger out how long ago, but my Hiboy roadster first rolled on a public street 6 years and 4 days ago today! And visually, it is the same today as then, except for a set of new tires.
    Only upholstery is on the seats, no other upholstery at all, no floor mats, bare painted metal (hell, at least it's a painted floor). Outside is painted, as it was then, and it has seen more mech work done since first rollout than I like to think about.
    Since it is a roadster, it will never have a fancy interior, but I suppose I should at least put some floor mats in it (no carpet, never), put a handle on the glove box door (cut down '35 Ford dashboard) and a glove box behind the door, and some door and kick panels, maybe even something on the bare aluminum rear firewall behind the bucket seats.
    But something else always seems to interfere, either work on it mechanically, or something on my '40 coupe, or just plain life where shit happens.

28. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Been driving mine for 47 years have put over 370,000 miles on it have gotten twice as many smiles. It needs a lot but it mostly needs to be driven.

47ragtop likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I just know that I would have been guilty of that so that is why I’m finishing my RPU first.

That way it won’t be a problem.:D

30. joburnsjo

joburnsjo

All of mine need something to completely be finished but I'm driving all of them