Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox axle yoke broke drive shaft wont fit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ab_51Ford, Sep 19, 2018.

1. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

OK so a couple weeks ago my axle yoke broke and sent my drive shaft whirling about. Replaced everything I needed to on the axle and had a shop fix and balance the drive shaft. But now when I try to slide the drive shaft back into the transmission, it only goes in about a 1/2". Is it safe to say that I may have screwed the transmission up too? 700r4 tranny.
    I'd appreciate any help.
    Thanks fellas
    -Andrew

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As I recall, the 700R4 has a removable tail housing. I would unbolt that and inspect the splines on the tail shaft.
    Also, close inspect the front yoke on the driveshaft for any irregularities., especially the alignment of the spines.

Ray

3. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

My slip yoke on the drive shaft has a spline missing, and my tail shaft doesn't. Think that's a problem?

Attached Files:

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you tried inserting the slip in a variety of positions? The missing spline is curious. Wouldn't appear to be wear related, which makes me think it's been removed by some hack as there's damage on the output shaft, so it'll only go together one way instead of the usual 32 or so.

Chris

5. The missing spline is normal, some stuff uses it so it can only go in one position, like two piece driveshafts, yours can go anywhere, as said above pull the tail housing and have a look at things, then you can tell if it’s the housing or the splines

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. If you don't want to pull the rear housing to start with as Hnstray & 57 mentioned; maybe check the output shaft with another yoke or try the driveshaft on another trans.

Buddy twisted the output shaft on his T-10 the same way.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The missing spline is, I believe, a 'vent' of sorts for air (that would be)trapped at the back of the yoke as it moves in and out during normal suspension travel.

Ray

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

OK, so I had some burs on the inside of the slip yoke, got it replaced and now it slides right in. But now I think the drive shaft may be too short. The shop had to put a new ujoint yoke on the shaft because the old one got mangled up. Only about half of the slip yoke slides in. How much yoke is too much yoke sticking out? I've got about 2" sticking out.

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I always slide the yoke in all the way and pull it back one inch when measuring for a new drive shaft.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Push the yoke in all the way, pull it out 1", and see if it reaches the rear end, with all of the weight on the suspension (i.e. axle on jack stands).

If it does not, record the extra distance you need to pull it out. Yokes are sold in numerous lengths, and too long ones can be shortened for a perfect fit.

olscrounger likes this.
  11. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

The standard yoke for "most " 700r trans is almost 7 inches long.
    They look the same as the most common th 350 , muncie, saginaw yokes..just longer..

We use the longer yoke on our dirt cars where the rear end moves front to back under power..
    Your driveline guy will be able to get the correct yoke for you...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.