Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Power Steering Conversion 55 Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lpmorgan, Sep 23, 2018.

1. lpmorgan

lpmorgan

What's the most cost effective (cheapest) power steering kit for a 55 Fairlane?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don’t think any of them are cheap. They all require cutting down the shaft and modifying the column, and some won’t work with a clutch or allow you to easily keep the column shifted on an auto. Probably best to check one of the social groups here or at the Ford Barn. There’s a few who’ve done a conversion with a Cavalier rack. I’ve done that, and by the time you get the bump steer out it’s not cheap.

I’ve also heard of adapting the ram style out of a Granada, but I don’t know any more than that.

One here.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1686&cat=0&featured=Y

3. 57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think I am going the Borgeson route for the wife's 55. The column may be an issue. I am installing an automatic as well.

5. Andy

Andy

The manger I worked for severely hurt his hand and could not easily drive his international pick up. I took the power steering system off a maybe 62 Chevy and put it on his pick up. I used the stock box and added the control assembly to the drag link end and put a ram on the tie rod. It cost nothing as I had the parts and it worked perfectly. He could now easily drive the truck again.

6. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something you didn’t mention here that’s in another post is that it’s a 390FE and you’re looking for headers. If it’s the same car, that’s going to further complicate it. The social groups are going to be the best bet. Good luck.

Roothawg, it’s probably easier to replace the column, the one piece shaft from the box is a PITA. Although I realize you have the skill to get it done. The bird isn’t so bad, the telescoping shaft helps out a bit. Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Roothawg likes this.
  7. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

Hey Fellas

I’m having trouble with the Borgensen box in my 55’ Fairlane. Box won’t clear the top of the frame rail. If any one has done this conversation with the Borgesen set up let me know how you guys approached this issue….. sorry for reserecting an old thread

8. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Not sure if you get late cars with electric power steering over your side of the pond , but over here in the UK the power units are common and cheap from junk yards,
    One of the guys in the UL Edsel group has fitted one of these units to his 59 Ranger
    Basically cut out a section of the column shaft and fit the unit between and hidden under the dash , then had to crank the shifter rod around it , his unit came out of a Renault Clio , they are about 50 bucks over here

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

Maybe on another project down the road, I’m already into the Borgensen “kit.” Thank for the info anyway

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I have the Borgeson box in my 61 Olds and I love it. I will be putting one in my 57 Ford when I get back around to that project.

I had a 58 Ford at one point with a 71 F1 box, but it was far from a bolt in. There was a small notch in the chassis and they used some flipped over pitman arm. It worked well but the Borgeson box feels better, and doesn't have the install issues.