Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical U-joint correct placement on Chevy truck power steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bantam, Sep 23, 2018.

1. bantam

bantam

Hi guys -

I picked up a 1950 GMC COE with a Chevy truck front suspension and steering box. Going over the work done by the previous owner and saw that the u-joint attached to the steering box was sloppy.

As shown in the first picture below, the ujoint only connects to the front set of splines on the steering box shaft. The set screw does no fit into the groove between the two sets of splines. However, this provides for an air gap between the end of the steering box shaft and the cross bar inside the u-joint. Steering feels good but the ujoint wobbles/sloppy where it connects to the steering box shaft.

2A89A4C1-42D2-4E2D-B771-1CBA72BBAF72.jpeg

As shown in this next photo if I slide the ujoint back further onto the box so that it also engages the splines closest to the steering box body and the set screw fits into the groove between the two sets of splines, the gap between the end of the steering box shaft and the cross bar in the u-joint is eliminated. These two items now touch and it actually makes it hard to steer due to this interference. You can feel it when you turn the wheel. That said the ujoint is very secure on the steering box shaft.

0D53127A-9979-4A8C-8372-B414BA9A5B86.jpeg

Questions:

1. Is it correct that the ujoint should be slide back so that it contacts both sets of splines and the set screw fits into the slot?

2. Is there a ujoint out there that is longer to engage both sets of splines and yet still have room between end of steering box shaft and u-joint cross bar?

3. Can I grind 1/8” off the end of the steering box shaft to eliminate the interference between the steering box shaft and the cross bar inside the ujoint?

Thanks -

Bantam

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

I would cut the 1/8" off the shaft. That little nub really doesn't do anything.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

egads likes this.
  3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

4. squirrel

squirrel

that little shaft is the end of the torsion bar for the spool valve, isn't it? :)

5. R Pope

R Pope

The shaft contacting the U-joint is going to stop the joint from flexing properly. Grind it shorter.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.

7. BJR

BJR

I have ground them off in the past, no problems.

8. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

always cut off end of the spool valve with no issues

9. bantam

bantam

Thanks for the responses, albeit some mixed opinions.

So, I take it no one can identify a u-joint that would accommodate without grinding the shaft down?

Bantam

10. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

there are some truck and bus u-joints that GM uses that don't need the shaft cut off,but they large and butt ugly

11. squirrel

squirrel