Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FORD Flatty Motor Mounts all created equal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cajunfirehawk, Sep 22, 2018.

1. The motor mounts on my 36 were replaced in 2015/6 and I noticed how close my bottom crank pulley was to the bottom crossmember (1/4"!?) and I decided the mounts looked tired and squished so while the front end sheet metal is off I ordered a set of replacement mounts. Assume they make knock off mounts overseas like other crap? So I looked for some nicer replacements.
    The replacements I purchased are made by Sacramento Vintage Ford Parts and appear to be a good quality
    [​IMG]
    But when I lower the engine back on these mounts, they don't compress enough to get the nut started on the bolt coming thru form the bottom to tighten them down, do I need to let them sit overnight?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Try asking or researching the archives on fordbarn. If I remember Drake had the best. Post if you find out anything, I will be needing some in the future.

Charlie Stephens

3. 42merc

42merc

I agree with Charlie.
    The Bob Drake mounts are the most compliant.
    I've run across 3 grades of mounts from various suppliers, a very soft rubber type that fails quickly, & a very hard poly urethane type that many think are great. Then the Drake mount, which is closer to the original Ford composition.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

With the one's you already have double check to make sure the mount and bolt are correctly fitting the cross member and not hanging up. This is an 8BA with 8RT water pumps in a 40 Ford.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018

5. alchemy

alchemy

I think there were different length bolts as well over the years, so maybe your bolt is the incorrect part. I had some rubber mounts from Macs in New York that squished. I put some big washers under them to prop them up.

6. So the issue seemed to be the new larger cupped washers had a small ridge on the bottom that is supposed to sit into the hole in the frame, the ones I took off did not have any ridge and were just flat. So quick work with a flap disc on my grinder and the ridge was gone. I also noticed the bolts on the car were about 1/4" longer so I reused the old bolts and everything went back to getter fine. Noticed more clearance between my crank pulley and the frame.
    Oddly enough Drakes sells longer than "stock" bolts and the numbers on the mounts from SAC VIN Ford parts matches the numbers on the drake mounts minus the ford script logo, so Im good w/these for now. YMMV

7. All good, like the new ones much better...glad I changed them.

The new replacements
    fullsizeoutput_1af4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1af5.jpeg
    One of the old ones...see how cracked it was?
    P1010134.JPG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018