Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. khead47

khead47

I wonder what Stoner plans to do on his blown hemi tall T to address the driveability issues.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I'm definitely going to do something, but I still don't know exactly what. Haven't really had time to sit down and figure it out.

low budget likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

It's more to do with the hassle of setting it up to work on the street. I love carbs because I'm lazy, and you can just put a carb on and it works. no fiddling needed.

chryslerfan55 and Johnny Gee like this.
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

OMG...If I were able to, I'd fire you from the HAMB! HAHA!:D:D

chryslerfan55, slayer, enloe and 2 others like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

he has a fake bug catcher, too.

enloe likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The day I learned Garlits had his hand in these I wanted to fire him also! :confused:

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this allowed for an event like Drag Week?

"I'm lazy" said the man that just built a freaking awesome race car in less time than it takes to grow a child in the womb.

Both miracles in my opinion.

8. squirrel

squirrel

yes, you can do whatever you want as far as swapping parts for racing--except change the long block.

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You're not gonna like this solution, but there is a guy making a digitally controlled barrel valve used in conjunction with a wideband O2 sensor to make old mechanical injectors work on the street. It uses all the original injection parts, including the mechanical pump. You can use it to map a fuel curve, but you're on your own for ignition. Search YouTube or that auction site for InstaJet. There is a cool vid of the little valve in use on a drive.

chryslerfan55 and Gary Reynolds like this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ That is what I meant earlier about Jim being a locomotive engineer. He'd be the go between pushing and pulling various lever's to keep it going as smoothly as possible rather than electronics.

Gotgas likes this.
  11. Joe H

Joe H

How did the whole car work out on the road? Was it as noisy as you thought it would be? Did the seats work out? 1000 + miles in something uncomfortable just wouldn't cut it no matter how it run on the track. Seems it might be a little loose in the front with the weight towards the rear tires.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. kursplat

kursplat

bathtub intake with a home made replacement top for the F.I. ?

13. squirrel

squirrel

it was mostly ok on the street. The engine is loud. The gas pedal location is not very good, that's the only thing that really bothered me, aside from how loud the engine is. The car did fine in rain, and on the freeway, and on the twisty mountain roads we got into the last night.

14. I know you've got your own thing going here, but I couldn't hate on you for making it work.
    The engineering team at Chrysler and Bosch couldn't make it work but we've got some stuff today they didn't have in 1958
    IMG_1293.JPG

15. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not interested in putting any electronic controls in the car. Period.

I don't mind doing some work to swap it over for racing, if that's what it takes to get what I want.

16. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know you don't want to spend a bunch of time tuning, and this is an over simplfication, but with a quick disconnect main bypass pill holder you could have a pill to fuel the engine to about 3,000 RPM for the street then swap in the race pill at the track. The street AFR might not be perfect, but saves a lot of work swapping carbs on and off if you worked it out.

17. squirrel

squirrel

there's more to it than just changing the pill....I still haven't seen anyone driving one on the street that doesn't mention using the shutoff valve to control the mixture during cruise :)

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  18. FYI ... The ‘58 “Electrojector” EFI systems were made by Bendix, not Bosch.

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  19. Fordors

Fordors

I’d switch between carbs and injection, no question. Why fight with a hard to manage mechanical injector on the road when you can use the carbs you already have? At the track you remove the carbs and cap the line from the electric pump, install the hat that you have all dialed in and put the belt on and hook up the lines for a belt driven injection pump.

enloe and Gotgas like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

I'm looking at seeing if I can set it up so I have to disconnect very little, or no, plumbing. The pump can be removed from the belt drive unit with three nuts, and the tank could be mounted so it comes off with the lines all attached.

We'll see how that works out, it's still a fantasy :)

21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Jim Kinsler makes quick connect fittings to make the disconnect quick with no mess

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nostrebor, pigfluxer and enloe like this.
  22. mopacltd

mopacltd

I'm considering installing an Enderle stack injection on the Model A with no electronics.

squirrel likes this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That’s kinda what I was thinking. Carbs sitting on top of the injector plate. If you leave the carbs on to control the airflow going in, will it harm them to run them dry? Or would the suction created by the blower suck the guts out of the fuel bowls? A simple shutoff in the gas line would get the carbs dry, and like you say, hook up the fuel pump belt and go. I have no idea if it would work or not, but sounds like it would be fun to try. Carbs for the street, mechanical injection for the strip, just by closing a valve, opening another, and putting on a belt.

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Is it in your day dreams that the injection is below the blower in the intake? So the injection stays on the car but is not flowing. Where you are removing the scoop and butterflies or “throttle bodies” and slapping on a set of carbs mounted to a blower adapter plate, hooking the fuel supply and throttle cable?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. squirrel

squirrel

I am thinking about completely removing the carb fuel system, and installing the injection system, then switch back after racing. Unbolt it from the top of the blower, there are only 4 or 6 bolts retaining either the hat or the carb adapter to the blower.

I think I won't need port nozzles for a blown gas system on an engine set up like mine is.

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

27. Are you sure you got room to store the injection unit inside the car with everything else ?
    Maybe you could put it on the roof for direct air injection on your head while driving...ha ha ha

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Once the hood and new fenders are done storage shouldn't be an issue.
    [​IMG]

29. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Mechanical fuel injection will work on the street. The way it's set up is for wide open throttle and ideal. So let's look at the barrel valve. What you need is to get the air fuel ratio right clear through the range from ideal to wide open. Get is on and set up to run right at the track. Then work on street driving . Get a gauge to check air / fuel and you can check against rpms. Then you need to modify the ramp on barrel valve. It might take a couple try's before you grind one that works.
    This is what worked for me. I have one other thing I would like to try on the barrel valve modification. Old school racing is cool shit.

chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  30. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa