Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ray Henrie's Stellar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Anyone know about this one from '66-'67?
    [​IMG]

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow that is crazy looking!!!!!

3. I saw this in the September 2010 Hot Rod Oakland Roadster Show article a few moments ago while taking a shit. Mark Moriarity probably owns it or is cloning it!

kidcampbell71 likes this.

4. Any idea what the wheels are?

5. shenrie

shenrie

crazy what you stumble onto on the internet!

this was one of my dads creations. it got sold because I was born...which sucks. either way, I asked him when I saw the question about the wheels. he said he found 2 aircraft wheels at a junkyard. said there was only 2 so he cut them in half and welded vw rims on the backside to make a full set.

last I saw this car it was for sale in boise Idaho. I stumbled onto an ad in the local paper. this was around 1991-92. no idea what happened to it from there, but if anyone knows, id love to have an update. especially if it was ever restored.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Sancho, Bearcat_V8, F&J and 6 others like this.
  6. Was there a roof hatch? how the hell did you get in???

7. shenrie

shenrie

ya, roof lifted open and you stepped down into it. you can just make out the line across the roof at the rear of the windows.

this is after he sold it and that person repainted to match theme of his airport. you can see the line better in this pic.
    [​IMG]

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the Hamb @shenrie and thanks for connecting the dots in a very close to the heart way...glad your here...;)...and yes thats sixties wild...looks like a stealthy mid sixties Vette offshoot...neato...your father is quite the artist.

9. shenrie

shenrie

thanks stogy! I don't hear my dad get too excited about much these days but he perked right up when I told him I had found a picture of his old car online. so thanks in return. pretty sure this made his year!

appreciate the compliments as well. ill pass them along! he really is artistic in all aspects, not just cars.

if anyone has other questions, id be glad to see if I can assist!

Sancho, Stogy and williebill like this.
  10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is why I love the HAMB.

11. rusa55

rusa55
    from iowa

Now we need details.....drivetrain?.....frame?

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  13. shenrie

shenrie

correct about the car built on the corvair chassis and powered by the same. other than that, I really don't have much more info as it was sold right after I was born. my dad isn't computer savvy so he wont be jumping on here, but I am happy to ask him and relay info back here. ill give him a bit to wake up and ill see what info I can extract.

Sancho, Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It would be really cool to see some construction pics of this> is the body made of steel or fiberglass? really a cool car, lets find it!!!

Sancho and Stogy like this.
  15. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

And another view. 1 ray.jpg

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I turned it for you 1 ray.jpg

Chavezk21, Sancho, upspirate and 3 others like this.
  17. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I see that.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

The windshield reminds me of a rear window.. like tri five or something? I'm sure someone here in 20 minutes will know

Stogy likes this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

looks to me like the rear window from a 60-64 corvair, upside down

20. shenrie

shenrie

tried calling my pops, but he wasn't answering. ill see what I can find out though.

it would be really cool to find out where it went. I think I still have the fs add from the local paper somewhere. I also have a copy of a hotrod magazine from around 67 where there was a small paragraph about the car from a carshow. ill post up whatever I can find.

I sincerely appreciate the interest guys! my dad will love answering these questions!

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sancho likes this.
  22. SR100

SR100

It looks like the windshield is the same 1960 Ford station wagon hatch that the Alexander Brothers used on the Deora.

23. Squablow

Squablow

Wild custom, looks very well built. I definitely like the original version best.

Cutting aircraft wheels in half and welding on other wheel halves to make a set, that is amazing ingenuity.

I agree with SR100, windshield looks like a 60 Ford wagon hatch.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I still think it is the rear window from the corvair (upside down)donor car that the drivetrain came from.... corvair.jpg

25. shenrie

shenrie

ok, sorry for the late reply. went woodcutting over the weekend and didn't have a chance to connect with my dad.

so i was wrong about a few things, my apologies. the car is built on a vw willy pan. used a vw rear axle and the corvair engine. mentioned he had to flip over axle due to wrong rotation to work with the corvair motor. he added header to motor, but rest of engine was stock.

the frame for the body was made out of electrical conduit. he used sheet metal for the body and fiber glassed the compound curves. used an original corvair trunk lid as the trunk on this car and also used another corvair trunk for under it as well to conceal the motor. said he had to modify the lower one quite a bit to make it work and have all the louvers line up with top.

the windshield is from an impala. didn't remember the year, but guessed 62. said the corvair rear window wasn't wide enough.

I asked about pix of the build. he said everything was on slides but that hes moved so many times that he lost track of them and isn't sure where they ended up. that part really sucks...

I didn't have a chance to dig out the old hot rod magazine, but I will see if I can make some time. either way. I really appreciate the interest. its been fun talking to my dad about this car. I know hes happy to hear theres still people interested in his old project!

26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Would love to see a picture of the complete rear end.

I love posts like this!

Is the exhaust fake? I take it the motor is in the rear?

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@shenrie your dad was and no doubt still is a way out forward thinker...that's outlandishly cool. It's really interesting the unfolding of story...thank you again...

Sancho likes this.
  28. shenrie

shenrie

its totally my pleasure Stogy! I really appreciate all the interest. im learning as well!

hes definitely a forward thinker... story that comes to mind was about a old dodge pickup he kept breaking drivelines on. he got sick of replacing them so he moved the engine back under the bench seat and connected the tranny directly to the rear end. he said that fixed the issue and it made for a real fun vehicle. especially being in the day when full service gas stations were abundant. when attendants opened the hood and there was no motor he said the looks on peoples faces were priceless. he said sometimes they would just close the hood and walk away. apparently he installed a seat in the bay at some point and when him and his friends went out, someone would sit under there and pop the hood open at stoplights, drive throughs, etc and screw with the other people. I can only imagine...

seeing what I can dig up between my mom and my sister.

holy smokes! in all the years ive been looking at pictures of this car, I never put that together, lol. he might have routed the exhaust forward to utilize, but im really not sure. ill ask.

Sancho, williebill and Stogy like this.
  29. shenrie

shenrie

sister had a few pix. not sure why they show up sideways. can someone explain how to rotate?

also, after doing a little digging around, im pretty sure the issue of hot rod magazine he got a small pic in was july of 1966. will confirm when I get home from work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.