Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Replacement 48 wishbone ball sockets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alanp561, Sep 21, 2018.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has probably been addressed before but none of my searches come up with anything. Where can I find replacement wishbone ball sockets? I can find ball caps but not sockets. I want to use unsplit 48 wishbones on front and rear of my roadster. After seeing pics of Samiam (sp) and Stripers rear suspension setups, I think that's the way I want to go. I know I'm asking a loaded question here but, does anyone have any ideas?

2. alchemy

alchemy

The part that's stamped into the center crossmember of the frame? Try the Ford dealer's parts department. Maybe they can get you a replacement center section.

Sorry, just had to.

Nobody makes a new chunk of frame for a 48 Ford. You are just going to have to find another frame to cut that chunk from. Or maybe use two ball caps put together, with the base cap welded into a new piece of steel plate.

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did look at some Ford/New Holland tractor cast radius arm ball sockets but I can't find one with the correct diameter. They would be an easy fix if they fit because they just bolt on. I cut a 48 Merc front end out from under a car, saving the ball socket frame section, but the socket is pretty far gone.

4. alchemy

alchemy

When I added a wishbone ball from a front wishbone to the rear wishbone on my 40 sedan, using 36 rear wishbones, I used two caps. One was welded into a flat plate (like I suggested above) and the other just bolts on from below like factory. All my fab was based on a how-to story by Frank Oddo in an ancient issue of Street Rodder IIRC.

X38 likes this.

5. rustythumb

rustythumb

yes. 2 caps. i've done that before, works fine.

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, if I was an old guy like Alchemy and rustythumb, I'd know this stuff. Wait, I am an old guy (74) and I probably did know a long time ago but time has just about destroyed my memory. Time and large amounts of good Scotch. Anyway, thanks to the two of you for the replies. It reaffirms my belief that the people on the HAMB are pretty darn good folks.

barrnone50 likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

I'm not old, I'm only 51.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  8. trad27

trad27

Like this? Years ago I had a ‘46 frame the center was rotted but I kept the socket for a someday someone might need it time comes up like this one haha.

Attached Files:

9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, like that. You want to part with it?

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can actually remember thinking when I turned 51, "How the hell did I ever live to be this old?" Now, 23 years later, I'm just as amazed at being 74. As long as I can still function, I guess all will be good. I mean, I can hope, right?

11. trad27

trad27

If you think you can use it it’s yours. You just owe me a beer and pay shipping. PM me your zip code

12. swifty

swifty

You can actually buy a 2 piece ball socket assembly, the upper part has a machined diameter which locates in a matching hole in the centre cross member. Don't know who makes them but the guy who built my 32 chassis used one for the unsplit 32 wishbone.

13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, I've seen them for Model A bones but not for 46-48.

14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Log on to Brattons, Model A, www.brattons.com and check out part number, 4650, might work for your application. They also have the ball, #4631.

15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

T
    Thanks for the lead.