Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A few questions for 9" experts...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JK, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Doing assembly on my freshly narrowed 9" and had a few questions (yes, I've searched).

1. Is the gasket between the brake backing plate and housing absolutely necessary? I have the inner axle seals installed.

2. I ordered the above mentioned gasket and it is a thin steel not a fiber gasket like I took off upon dissassembly. Is the steel gasket okay to run?

3. Do I really need black sealant on the chunk gasket? Both sides? One side?

Thanks in advance.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 1. Not really, I've run 'em without...

2. Shouldn't make any difference.

3. No, you don't need it, but as the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth....

3. squirrel

squirrel

on the center gasket...if you plan to change things some time in the not too distant future, you might just want to put sealer between the gasket and the main housing, and not between the gasket and the chunk.

If you want it to not leak, put sealer on both sides of the gasket, and use copper washers under the nuts, like original. Or cover it all with RTV, like some guys do.

4. oldolds

oldolds

I would use non hardening Permetex. That way you will not have it glued in if it ever has to come out.

squirrel likes this.

5. 26DEF746-8A4A-4FA2-8308-819726B2E055.jpeg Forget the gasket and get “ the right stuff”
    Gasket maker works way better then regular rtv
    And like squirrel said copper washers under the bolt heads for extra insurance.

The backing plate gasket isn’t needed, but if you have it use it.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Put that damn "right stuff" on there only if you have access to dynamite if you ever need to remove it.