Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Prep after sand blasting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Sep 19, 2018.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have sand blasted a bunch of steel sheet metal parts and 4 steel wheels to remove rust..Surface is on the rough side so what should I do prior to priming?

2. knock the "fuzz" off with 80 grit on a D.A. sander.

da34guy, Hollywood-East and 117harv like this.
  3. As long as you didn't use gravel when blasting, clean the dust off and primer it. The as-blasted surface gives great 'tooth' for the paint to stick to.

RMR&C likes this.
  4. Tell us more about this innovative gravel blasting,sounds like a time saver.

RMR&C and Robert J. Palmer like this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Everything I have ever sand blasted I have primed with self etching primer, then sprayed on the primer surfacer. I have never had the surface be too rough.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I went out and did a surface roughness check..A little smoother than #400 grit sand paper [wet/dry]....

8. I wipe the metal down with a surface prep to remove any dust or residue from the sand and oil from finger prints,then use a etching primer. HRP

9. KenC

KenC

blow off the dust, wipe with grease and wax remover. Prime with epoxy, let it flash and lay on a wet coat of 2K primer/surfacer.

10. You don't need self etching primer.......you just etched the surface by blasting it. Epoxy prime and go.

11. #400 grit with sand?
    do you have photos?

RICH B likes this.
  12. I know I am NEW to the forums.. But I will have to agree here give it a quick "EDGE" for the primers to stick to, ALL bare metal HAS to be prepped... Self etching primers are GREAT for a barrier coat they are NOT designed for "HIGH" build, Do your body work and use a good 2 part filler primer on top. Some shops use Epoxy primers on bare steel others use self etching either way is good, your choice..
    A respirator is a MUST ! while using either primer.

And STAY away from rattle can primers. (unless it is a small part)

The key to a good paint job is always 90% prep pay attention to the edges

13. When I bead blast, I always wipe it down with the acid "rust remover" from the paint section of Home depot. This will get in any remaining minor rust and converts it to something. Also leaves a coating that will protect it for a few days. Can wipe it off after a few minutes, wash with lacquer thinner, then the oil/grease remover then prime. If left to dry, hit it with 220 /320, clean then epoxy prime. Just need to remove/neutralize if wet, or dry in place.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

15. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

DDDenny,
    Can you buy that at a store or strictly online??
    Thanks
    NRM

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I can try for photo later; have to go to my favorite Dr [Dentist, ugh!] directly...

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On small parts out of the glass bead cabinet, I wipe 'em down with solvent and then light 'em up with the propane torch. They kinda burn off a foggy perspiration coat and leave behind a nice clean, not surface that takes semi gloss black krylon well. Particularly useful especially during winter. Make sure the torch is off before spray painting.

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Here ya go, label right off the bag.. IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0479.JPG

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

What I meant was the blasted metal felt as rough as #400 paper does by running finger over surface of each; Not the roughness left by sanding metal with #400 grit.. IMG_0483.JPG

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thanks for help guys..I have gotten some Urethane 2 part primer #360 by Exel Autobody Products.. Can be used as High build or normal build surfacer [add reducer]..Technicaly should have self etching primer coat first but will work with out or so I am told;)...Will see how it goes.

23. junkman8888

junkman8888

Imagine spending months performing rust repair and body work, then endless hours priming, filling and hand sanding each panel to perfection. Imagine the joys of laying down that first coat of paint, basking in the glow of the glass-like sheen, then, once the paint has cured, taking your now gorgeous vehicle to the car wash for it's first bath. Now imagine as you very gently wash the vehicle for no apparent reason a huge chunk of paint suddenly rips itself loose from the door, the anger rising like bile in your throat as the paint continues to come off not in little bits or pieces but in long ribbons, your expensive and time consuming paint job now decorating the walls and even the ceiling of the wash bay.
    When it comes to paint, primers and fillers the only person you should be seeking information from is the product representative.

ABONES, osage orange and Johnboy34 like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Years ago a friend of mine had a car body soda blasted, he said the paint came off on every panel, he said never again.
    I think this would have been a candidate for self etching primer.

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes, from the owner/operator where I bought it..

26. KenC

KenC

According to the tech sheet, that primer is not for direct to metal. For best adhesion, use etch or epoxy first. Doen't take much, just a binder coat.

27. The paint falling off after soda blasting is a direct result of poor prep work, it leaves a residue that must be cleaned off

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.