Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cleaning early Flathead points/ignition question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Squablow

Squablow

20180921_170059.jpg

I took this car apart for a paint job and detailing nearly 5 years ago. It's all back together now and I'm trying to get it running right for a car show with my Dad this weekend. I got it started but it ran poorly, feels like it's missing, starts hard and won't idle. Ran great when taken apart, I didn't build it from scratch, just took over at the bodywork stage, engine was pretty much untouched.

I admit I am not much of a mechanic and I get frustrated easily so I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can walk me through. My first thought is that the points need to be cleaned from sitting all that time. But this car has a '38 engine with the dual point front mounted distributor and I'm wondering if there is a way to clean the points with the distributor in the car, and if not, what does it take to get it out and put it back in properly again? I've done searches but I'm not finding out what I need to know, and pictures would help.

Second, this has old style cloth spark plug wires with no boots on the ends, and the clips feel kinda loose. Is that normal for these?

20180921_170352.jpg

Anything else I should check? Seems like fuel system is working good, filter is filling so pump is working.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

A place to start would be Bubbasignition, . Those helmet distributers the can be very complicated.

3. BJR

BJR

Pull the plugs and run some emory paper across the electrodes and re gap them. Don't know if you can easily get at the points to clean and gap. Run it at night in the dark and look for arcing from the ignition wires shorting out, either move them to stop the arcing or replace them.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Plug wires should "snap" on the plugs nice and snug.
    Are you getting a good spark at the plugs?.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Get a little toothbrush size wire brush and brush off the top of the plugs and the wire ends. Use a pliers to tighten the clips a bit for the plug wires.

You can remove the whole distributor by undoing the plug wires on the plugs (label them if you might confuse where they go), undo the small wire from the ignition switch, undo the vacuum line at the base of the distributor, and then there are only three bolts holding the distributor body to the cast iron front cover. Undo those and give the housing a tap with a rubber hammer.

When the assembly is on the bench, you can undo the wire clips holding the outer caps and you will see how the wires plug into the inner caps. Carefully pull them out, carefully labelling again. Finally you will be able to wiggle the inner caps out of the housing. Sometimes they are tight and might take a careful prying from the edge. When out you will see the points.

Try to clean the points with a point file while inside the housing. You do have a point file, right? If not, buy one and don't use it on anything except points. Specialty item at the real auto parts store.

If you can't reach the points, you will need to remove the inner mechanism from the housing. First mark where the timing tab is on the housing. Scratch a mark on the tab to match the pointer notch on the housing, then remove that screw. Then take out the connector thingy that the condenser wire hooks to. It will unscrew.

Am I forgetting anything on this disassembly?

6. Squablow

Squablow

I appreciate the replies. I was able to see the points with the distributor on the car and i tried cleaning them but it didn't help much, i think i will need to take it off and file them properly or just replace them, they look fuzzy. Im also thinking the wires and plugs look ancient and wouldn't hurt to swap those out too.

I did also notice that the RH exhaust seems awfully smoky. Hopefully a product of a miss and not something deeper.

Looks like this will not be an easy late-night fix. At the absolute least, i think i need to buy some new tuneup parts.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  7. Squablow

Squablow

Is this the original 38 distributor? Im able to take the caps off by moving the spring clip retainers to the side and i can see the points inside.

Sorry for the flashlight-lit pictures. 20180921_193917.jpeg 20180921_193928.jpeg

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That distributo was used 1937-41. If it has 11 stamped on rear of shaft at the drive it is a 1941 with slightly better advance than the 68 stamped '37-40.
    Points WILL over time without use tarnish and become almost non-conductive. An ignition file is traditional but allegedly reduces life by scarring the tips so they burn. Supposedly kinder is a burnishing tool, a very fine abrasive.

Points file:
    [​IMG]2
    2 of Cal-Van Tools 693 Ignition Point File
    Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc

Burnishing tool:
    [​IMG]
    Order detailsOrdered on August 29, 2018 (1 item)
    Burnishing Tool, 1/4" Wide
    AmplifiedParts
    Sold by: AmplifiedParts

Gettum while you can...extinction looms!

Squablow likes this.
  9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Distributor as shown right above my post is ready to travel...remove the 3 bolts and yankitout. When you put it back study the drive...it is very slightly offset and when you put it back with that in mind it remains timed as it was.
    Working on it in place is almost unimaginable, yanking it is quick and easy.

Squablow and squirrel like this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

This is exactly what I'm going to do. Will pull the distributor and clean the points properly, then try again and go from there. Thanks for the direct tool links, my sister has Prime so I'll get her to order them for me for the cheap shipping.

11. You would not believe my point file anguish....needed to file one of my early bikes....almost HAMB friendly....couldn't find one so I was using the 380 grit sand paper...at an estate sale found a neat Snap-On one....then a week or so latter the mother load ! Still looking for my pics.....

12. KenC

KenC

My points file is a fine diamond fingernail file! Available in any good beauty supply and lasts forever.

Or borrow the wife/s/girlfriends and don't tell.

13. 20180925_170617.jpg 20180925_170617.jpg 20180925_170602.jpg
    After looking for one to clean my triple Kaw from sitting up for to look I ran across the neat Champion set up...and then found the placard of files at an old parts hpuse.