Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects how much do you lie to sell a car???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Make a sale

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Agree with HRP, Honesty is the best policy on all subjects in ones life. Sadly the world does not operate this way from my life's experiences, I do not, did not, will not sacrifice my integrity, period.

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Liar's & thieves are at the top of my 'dislike' list. I find the OP's question offensive.

62rebel likes this.
  4. 62rebel

62rebel

Yeah, it kind of does sound like asking a girl if she'd screw you for a million dollars.... then you've established that she is willing to be a prostitute, so now you haggle over price. Here's a better question: have you ever just GIVEN something to a guy because you knew you'd never use it, probably never sell it, and he needed it? I have, on more than one occasion, because I've had guys do that for me.

5. Funny, I don't get that at all. He said the ad was a Craigslist find. He's happy he has the car, probably sorry he didn't look at it. I encourage people to look at the rare time I sell a car or have someone look at it for them. I'm my own worst critic with my shit...….

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I only lie when buying a car...
    "NO, I WOULDN'T CHOP IT, I PLAN ON RESTORING IT!...."

When selling a car honesty is the best policy. Granted, I don't point out EVERY chip in the paint, but I will point out the important things that need attention and highlight the good parts of the car. I have had some very happy buyers, most of which contact me later saying the car is better than described.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    nochop likes this.
  7. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I have been looking for a 58-60 rambler station wagon for a few years now. Looking through the ads in old cars weekly and there is one in my state about 3 hrs north. I call the guy and ask about glass, chrome, floor pans and general rust. Yep every thing looks good, but hasn't been run in a few years, has no brakes etc. I have no problems with the mechanical but I already have enough body work on the other projects to do. I pull my trailer up there and low and behold the floor is missing out of the drivers side, door post not connected to the rocker chrome all beat to death. GF asked him why he told us a bunch of BS and his answer was "I figured after you drove all the way here with a trailer you buy it any way, how about I drop the price?" Gf says "no thanks, we don't buy from liars." Got back in the truck, headed towards home, met up with some friends that just happened to be at an antique store about half way to home and had lunch with them.

clem and 62rebel like this.
  8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

65 posts and not one dishonest.. Remarkable.. Now I know why I like the hamb….

9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Was driven by the pope on sundays only....

31-7.jpg

VANDENPLAS, chopped and clem like this.
  10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Real answer.... Never, my word is worth more than any price I could get.

Thor1 and 62rebel like this.
  11. 3340

I have never sold a car that needed restored because I have been restoring for years, I have always done complete restoration (body off) my cars were usually awarded well,

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. dwollam

dwollam

3 things I hate; liars, thieves and wet toilet paper!

Dave

VANDENPLAS, Thor1 and deathrowdave like this.
  13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Some questions don't deserve an answer Hoss " Hank Williams Jr. "

deathrowdave likes this.
  14. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

The original post is about buying over the internet without seeing it first. I sold a couple without the buyer inspecting it. In one case it was a model A which had been redone well before I got it. It looked good and ran well. The overseas buyer ran into title problems in his country and when they pulled the body to see the frame numbers there were poorly repaired sills and let me know his disappointment. I did not have it too long and never pulled it apart. Perhaps the o/p encountered a similar situation where the seller did not know the condition. It doesn’t make him a a liar. I would rather not sell without a potetential buyer inspection.

15. Red letter day, I made a spelling faux pas! :rolleyes: HRP

16. I have bought a couple of cars sight unseen off the HAMB. I pretty much got what I excepted, although on one of them I should have asked more questions. Some people will not tell you the bad unless you ask specific questions. Then Maybe. Not everyone one here is into the sport totally. Some guys make their living buying and selling. I must say we have some great people selling cars on this site, that I would not hesitate to buy from.
    Also I do not cry about buying a car sight unseen and being disappointed. It is my choice to take the risk. I just correct what needs to be done and go on.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

No rust in the car it all fell out.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. Never have, I like to sleep good at night.

TagMan likes this.
  19. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I was in the new and used car business for 33 1/2 years. When people made comments about car salesmen as liars ,thieves ,crooks etc , I always told them I had a PHD in backstabbing ,cork screwing and dirty dealing. I also told some real smartasses that more liars ,crooks etc came on our lot every day than worked there. Later Bill

BigO likes this.
  20. CtCarl

CtCarl

As far as I'm concerned, a man's reputation is coin of the realm. I won't lie to sell a car. I don't want anybody to be disappointed or resentful that they came out to look at it. Much rather get fewer tire kickers and have the first guy say, "I'll take it!"

I have never understood the sellers that go on and on about how a car is in "mint" condition or whatever, and then you get there and it's a train wreck. I've always wanted to say, "This is a car, not a box of Cracker Jack. Did you really think I would say, 'Well, it's nothing like you described, but since I took the ride to see it, I may as well buy it anyway'?"

I did fly out to Florida to buy a Dodge Charger last month. The guy was sort of honest, but there were still plenty of surprises; a bent wheel which had also worn out the hub bearing, a worn out strut mount, the paint was considerably worse than he described, and the entire interior...I mean every inch of it...was covered with cat hair. It was packed into the cupholders and console so badly I was removing it with a screwdriver. In places what I got out looked like pieces of jute felt. I guess can't complain too much about that experience, because the shop I had him bring it to for a PPI missed it all.

Years ago I looked at a '72 Firebird that the seller described as being in great shape. It was a dog with fleas inside and out. I opened the trunk, and one of the quarter panels didn't look quite right, so I reached out and touched it. It was mostly body filler and actually detached at the bottom.

I asked the guy why he hadn't been more honest about the condition. I'll never forget his reply, "I figured some kid would buy it and kill himself with it. It's perfect for that."

21. I won't lie to sell a car, but I will paint one, because almost everyone is stupid and when a car has the paint baked away to a coat of surface rust, they see junk. You grind it back a little with a wire brush and throw some primer on it and presto, it's not even the same car to their eyes. I've even done it on parts, I picked a Corvair steering box and ran it on eBay and no sale. I went out, took the wire wheel to it and knocked most of the rust off, ran it again with new pictures and it sold no problem. Stupid.

The catch though is it has to be flat black, grey or brown/red, primer colors. I did one blue and the closest I've come to a sale is a $500 deposit and no more contact from the buyer.

22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"I thought you went to hell for lying "

Not necessarily. If the lie isn't too big, you go to Heck.

csern likes this.
  23. Hellfish

Hellfish

I never lie to sell a car. In fact, I provide very detailed descriptions of everything. I've never had trouble selling anything and the buyer always said he appreciated the details and honesty.

24. brjnelson

brjnelson

I will only lie to get laid.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. tim troutman

tim troutman

never but I have looked at a lot of misrepresented cars. have even turned around in the drive without getting out. once went to look at a 32 coupe got there the guy says just sold and loaded it after you called but I still have a model a want to see it . nope

26. skipperman

skipperman

I'm in the NEVER club ....... I've had several guys that shipped a car never seeing it in person call me when they received and tell me " man you'r all right the car might be BETTER than you described" .... That's worth ALL THE MARBLES To me ......

jim snow, TagMan and clem like this.
  27. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I'm 41 now, and grew up around my grand father who owned his own car lot, ( in buisness for 35 years, same place, mom and pop ) so i learned the art of the sale from a successful salesman. From my point he kept in buisness and a good name by being a straight shooter. I'm sure there were excecptions to everyone's life, but you can't sell to the 3rd and 4th generation of families telling lies.
    Some people i believe just dont know what they are looking at in a car, and viewpoints are all over the map. I usually put the poor purchase on myself for not being diligent in my inspection process. Grandpa Bernie would say "There's a butt for every seat, we just gotta find the match"!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. I totally understand, I work in the jewelry business and the same applies.

29. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Stupid post
    Why lie to sell a car

30. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

It takes a piece of shit to lie to sell a car. More importantly, it is any buyer's fault for not looking at the car in person.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    HunterYJ likes this.