Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Turbo 400 help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Murray, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray

Ok, lets try this another way that won't violate the rules I have a turbo 400 behind a chevy 350 in my 58 apache the problem is im 'turning 3500rpm at 40 mph with 3.55 rear gears and a 2200 rpm stall converter with 26 in tires,
    Tach has been changed to rule that out and rear gearset has been verified
    Trans hits all 3 gears perfect, truck runs perfect and smooth, trans guy says converter converter guy says trans.
    Trans has been rebuilt and problem still persists
    Any thoughts

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Sumthin's very off..!
    Are you sure of each thing -
    1. Gear ratio ? You say it's been verified, how ? Actually seen the numbers stamped on the ring gear (or counted the teeth). Turning the driveshaft and watching the tires DOES NOT count.

2. "Advertised" converterter stall ? Have you actually run the engine up to verify the brake stall speed, (brakes on pedal on the floor) ? Note, make sure the engine is warm.

3. Speedometer "actually" correct ? I know, the feeling at 40mph is different from 65 or 70mph...but..!?

4. Tire size...metric dimension or...? Sorry, had to say it..! Still...

There's no magic here. All verifiable info.
    I doubt the trans. is slipping. It would be pretty obvious, and would probably surge some amount. Also would change hitting the gas hard, the rpm would go up before the truck moved much faster.

Mike

jakespeed63 likes this.
  3. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray

Yes gearing is accurate would have to be 6.10 gearing to turn that many rpm, speed has been checked by gps several times, and is accurate
    And tires with a tape measure are 26.25 in tall
    Tach has also been checked and is within 50 rpm of my friends $1000 digital tach

4. squirrel

squirrel

so is it shifting twice? (1-2 and 2-3)

5. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray

There is no surging and it will put you back in the seat with only moderate throttle input,
    Trust me ive 'gone through this thing head to toe and im as confused as they come

6. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray

Yes solid 1-2 and 2-3 shift with about 500 rpm drop between gears

7. squirrel

squirrel

if everything is right, then it's working fine. There really isn't much we can do without driving the car (truck) to see what's going on....

XXL__ likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

3.55 gear 26 inch tires 2200 rpm stall, sounds like a loose converter to me.

9. When I had the crazy loose converter in my truck, it really winged the tach going up a hill and if you lightened up on the gas pedal at say 45mph if would finally catch up to the converter and the rpms would drop. Now of course if you gave the gas it would try stalling and flash the rpms much higher.
    Did you jack it up and make sure you don't have a wheel bearing or brake that is to tight, or possibly the back side or top of tire rubbing on something causing drag ?

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gear Vender OD

11. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray

Have checked bearings and brakes I'm thinking tct I'm going to swap it tonight but its an fti converter so not junk

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

I would try a stock convertor and see. I know it is a lot of work, but even good parts can be bad.

13. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray

That's my plan I'm putting in an AutoZone special stock converter tonight
    I would just think that a bad converter would feel like a Slipping transmission

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have ran a few 400's and have always used a stock converter. I usually run about a 29 inch tall tire and have not had rpm problems to date? Mine have been in relatively light 32 Fords.

15. CtCarl

CtCarl

Did you ever verify that you're running 3.55s?