Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Considering living in an old service station....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Still searching for a place.

2. johnnymac1

johnnymac1

I grew up in the north east, saw many stations, my favorites look like the one in Rocky Mount, nice floor plan, great looks, two deep stalls and room for living, I worked as a kid at some in NJ that were like that, good luck.

BigO likes this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

very bad idea. own it so no one can make you leave. As far as buying the perfect gas station, you would do better to**build* it

4. I guess the "rent don't buy" thing is so you don't get hit with some EPA clean up fines years from now. is that it?
    And I do think the built it idea may be the way to go. Hard to beat that one in Rocky Mount, for what was it $39,000 but I would guess a lot of these would be in areas that I would not want to live in. And then the zoning thing, I'm sure it would be zoned commercial. If you build it yourself, you could pick the location make it a little larger and get a little larger lot, all that stuff. But that may be like driving a fiberglass car!

BigO likes this.
  5. Building your own would be better in the long run. Old buildings remodeled when you are thru cost twice as much as brand new. By building your own you can pick the best location and no EPA and zoning restrictions.

BigO likes this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

BigO likes this.
  7. Cordless57

Cordless57

The building I inhabit part-time was most recently a bakery—but was an auto dealership in the 1930s and before that a bank, after that a carpet store.

I like living with one wall separating me from my projects.

BigO likes this.
  8. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

If I were single I would do similar without hesitation. Or atleast buy me a "garage house" and decorate it the way I want. So Go for it. You only live once...in this life. Only thing with a gas station is the soil contamitation. Be sure its cleaned out and all gastanks removed.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    BigO likes this.
  9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Lol! Reminds of my first job, at an Esso gas station. Saturday morning first shift we always started with coffee and donuts while prepping the work bays. Hadn't thought of that in a long time.

BigO and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Keep your eyes open for old, 50's style drive-in, burger joints , also. Some of those had some very cool, George Jetson architecture. Worst case, you might have to build on a bay or two. You won't have to worry about any abandoned fuel tanks, etc., though.
    There are probably lots of buildings out there with one or more overhead doors that you could just add a carport and a pad for gas pumps to get the right look.
    burgers-in-austin-texas_g22_mobi.jpg burger1.jpg

11. BJR

BJR

That looks like an old White Castle burger joint.

12. Nope Greens Hamburgers, Farmington , Mi...we have Bates about 2 blocks from me..same building basically

13. I worked at Farmington and Schoolcraft in 1971-72- ate a lots of Bate's burgers- then they built one at 9 and Middlebelt which was close to where I lived- think both still in business- Bob-

14. There was a Greasy Green's at Orchard Beach and 10 mile- not as good as Bate's-