Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects how much do you lie to buy a car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThisOneGoesTo11, Sep 19, 2018.

1. "oh, it just needs a few things, probably will pass inspection as it is..."
    "This thing's a steal! I'll probably make money on it..."
    "I had to pick this up before someone else got it, of course I'm selling "XYZ" (some other heap in the driveway)"
    "This will be the last one."
    " I've always wanted this exact make/model/year/color/engine"
    "Let me get it running, then if you still want it gone in a month, I'll get rid of it"

(--Foot-tapping, folded arms, eyes narrowed to a slit...is that a sign of approval from the Mrs? I'm having a hard time interpreting "non-verbal cues" :confused:)

2. It's usually in inverse proportion to how good a deal I'm getting....

GreenMonster48 and Hnstray like this.
  3. adam401

adam401

I more lie to the seller like "Im not going to chop your grandfathers car, I'm going to restore it." You know stuff like that.

4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I'm not married, i can buy whatever the hell i want,

5. Only gets upset when I dont tell her I bought a car . Other then that she is Ok with what I buy and sell !!

6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I am married and I can buy whatever I want... 50 years next year.
    She always says the same thing, "I don't know anything about these cars but you do so do whatever you think."
    Thanks for reminding me... and probably a few others;), to appreciate our blessings now and then.
    I've been told, "I don't like that." but never a hint of "You better get rid of that."
    Most of the time, I follow the same pattern... buy one, either build it or just tweak it some, play with it for a while and then pass it on. Trouble is that I've begun to have more and more that are just too much fun to pass along!:eek::D

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what kind of idiot would set himself up with a legal contract that says this person who does not like your cars gets half of them when she really gets sick of them and you.

Clay Belt, swade41, LSGUN and 7 others like this.
  8. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My Dog thinks every thing I do is interesting

Clay Belt, awilson40, LSGUN and 12 others like this.
  9. Mine too, unless I'm making sparks... LOL! First sign of sparks and he disappears....

10. I've got it pretty easy, but I've never spent money on a car we needed for something else. I buy pretty much whatever I want without worry of upsetting my wife.

However, if the circumstances were to far off of normal, I am aware it's sometime easier to get forgiveness than get permission. ;)

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

I don't lie to my wife about cars. She knew I was into them before I ever dated her, and I actually worked on her car before we started dating (she was my buddy's sister).
    I started our marriage with the purchase of a car to build into a dirt track race car about a month after the ceremony and she knew it was coming. At the end of that 1st season, parts from the race car paid the first big heating bill we had no idea how we were going to pay.

Buying cars was never done with money needed to pay bills. The car money came from extra overtime, or extra work at my home shop. Many times the sale of some parts or a car would prop up the family budget over the years. There were times she would buy a needed car part!

After a couple of years, the question was "Where are you going to put that one?" So we bought a house in the country, with space to park a few cars.

My wife is an active part of my car hobby, we take vacations in the old car. She enjoys it as much as I do. She is the one that suggested the new project would make a nice shop truck.

If I have to lie to buy or sell something, its not going to happen. In all these years, I have never regretted being honest, so there is no reason to change that now. Gene

chryslerfan55, jnaki and Montana1 like this.
  12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No need to lie for me. My girlfriend loves old cars just like me. Recently I wondered if we or better I should sell something off my stash of cars to make some room and release some pressure fining a space to park them. But I could not come up with what I´d sell, so I asked Dany, my girlfriend. She answered: ` you can´t sell the Bel Air and the Impala, you´ve had them for over 20 years and put so much effort in them. The Rivi has to stay that´s just too beautiful. Then you have just finished the 34 and spent 3 or more years fixing it. And the 55 is our daily, we just need it. And the 53 gasser project is your next build... So there´s nothing you could sell.´ I said, that we could sell the rustbucket 52 Suburban she bought. Answer:´No way!! That´s mine!"
    Here we go ...she´s driving of course, hahahaha
    IMG_20170606_175313.jpg

Gotgas, classiccarjack, LSGUN and 9 others like this.
  13. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, Your marriage is doomed, if you have to lie to do what you like/love/want, get out now as down the road it will just cost you more. Grow a pair or live your life under wifes rules/thumb

swade41, LSGUN, Old wolf and 6 others like this.
  14. chopped

chopped

If you have to lie to make a point, you have no point.

15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Let's face it. We might or might or might not out and out lie but were going to try and make it appealing as possible no matter what were selling. I hate trying to sell any classic vehicle. Lately it seems to bring every out every low baller, dreamer and other assorted bozos to your garage. And trying to sell a project car is normally even worse. I had to laugh at a recent add I saw for a classic vehicle where the seller wrote, no tire kickers, test pilots, I don't care if your dad had one of these, and make sure you ask your wife or mommy if it's ok before you waste my time and yours coming to look at it.

GreenMonster48 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I learned a long time ago there is no point in lying. It will always come back to bite you. My feeling is this, if you have to hide or lie about something, you shouldn't be doing it. Put it out in the open, if someone doesn't like it, they'll let you know, but at least they can't say you lied about it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez . . . I bought 2 Harley's without asking anything. Just finished our 52 year... Forgiveness is much easier than permission.

chryslerfan55 and williebill like this.
  18. topher5150

topher5150

We were friends with a couple that was like that. She had him by the short and curlies about everything. Anything that he wanted he had to ask permission.

My wife knew that I was car crazy from the beginning, once we bought our first house there was some left over money, and she was totally on board, just as long as it didn't interfere with the bills. I told her I would put an automatic in it so she can drive it too.

chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  19. Probably the kind that finds a good woman rather than the occasional piece of ass that so many seem to favor

20. I don't have to lie. I am my own man and make my own decisions, nobody is going to tell me what I can and can't do....;) Now on the other hand, I don't actually LIE to myself, but I do ignore things that are wrong if I really want it and in my mind, I tell myself that this will be an "easy fix".......that ain't lying, is it?

chryslerfan55 and low budget like this.
  21. I never use the money intended for daily living expenses to buy toyz . My money come from my part time business and my wife does not even care as long as I take care of the household stuff . Never lie about my purchases she is OK with my hobby. I was doing this before she came along and relized that I am not going to change. She is going to get it all when I am gone anyways.
    Vic

22. Richard Head

Richard Head

The last couple of projects I picked up were free. My wife just asks," Why pick up more projects, when you don't even work on the ones you already have?" I tell her that I realize I have a problem, and I'm not bringing anything else home, even if its free. She just rolls her eyes, because she knows I'm too cheap to turn down free. She's probably right. My unfinished garage addition, already has stuff in it.

Dave

23. papajohn

papajohn

My wife and I have an understanding. I buy cars. She understands.

I'm lucky that she pretty much lets me do what I want. Haven't had to lie to her about any car purchases.....yet.

24. topher5150

topher5150

I'd part out the free projects or sell them to fund the other projects.

how does one get free project cars???

25. This thread is as bad as the other one, it boils down to morals.

It might sound hokey but honesty is the best policy. HRP

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  26. Terrible80

Terrible80

Wife's friend,"You let him buy a Harley?" Wife's response ," He didn't ask me."

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. My wife encourages me with my car passion, and at times searches, as I do CL, E-Bay, Offer Up, etc.for cars she knows I like.
    Hmm..I wonder if she just prefers me in the shop, rather than in the house?

28. williebill

williebill

I never lied to my EX wife, I just didn't answer difficult questions, except with a different question.
    Here's an example. Her.... " What did you pay for THAT THING?????"
    Me...…." What's the balance on your Visa card?"
    Her CC balance was always a helluva lot more than what I spent on car stuff...
    My G/F doesn't ask, but I see the gears turning in her pretty little head.

29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Why would I ever need to, that’s the question

raven likes this.
  30. ---(...stands up in the middle of the ruckus at the H.A.M.B. saloon, and fires a six shooter into the ceiling...)----

As you were, Gents! not a moral dilemma, just a light-hearted riff on another thread title. Three decades hitched myself, no need to horn-swoggle the missus. She's way smarter than me anyway...now let's get back to sparks, grease and the occasional band aid. Cheers.;)