Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Permanent dye for vinyl

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Like the title says, is there a permanent dye that I can use on vinyl.

The reason I ask is that I can get some brown sheet vinyl very cheap that is too thick for upholstery but that would be perfect for the floor under the seats of my RPU.
    I'd like it to be black.

I had thought of using some really thin auto trunk lining carpet or something like that however I expect the interior ( being a fenderless roadster ) to get wet at some point ;):D so carpet might not work so well.

2. partssaloon

partssaloon

At the parts stores there is a product made by SEM that is a vinyl paint/dye that works well. Comes in a aerosol type can. I've also seen it at some wally worlds.

3. Larry as partssaloon mentioned SEM makes makes pretty good vinyl coating that works very well especially if it is an area that is not going to be exposed to a lot of wear like under your seats. Any of the local jobber stores would have it in stock. It seems to be the industry standard.

They have an aerosol product called Vinyl Coat and you can also get a waterbourne product that comes in a bottle that's called Sure Coat that you spray through a paint gun. I have used white Sure Coat on a number of things for my interior and it has worked really well to cover and stick. Obviously no long term testing for durability yet for my stuff.:(

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Blue One likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, I’ll check it out. Hopefully I can find it in a spray can.
    The vinyl I’m talking about is at princess auto and it’s cheap for a large roll.

If only it was black :D

5. Carlsons should have it in the aerosol.

Blue One likes this.
  6. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

The SEM aerosol is a good fix. Sprayed a red vinyl seat black and held up great. 6yrs so far.
    Trick is real fine coats, don't try to get it black with 1st 2 coats. If your can runs out, your spraying too thick.

40ragtopdown and Blue One like this.
  7. verde742

verde742

MAR-HYDE worked well for me..

brigrat likes this.
  8. I am pretty sure all their vinyl dyes got discontinued when 3M bought them.

9. clean it first real good.

10. Mojo

Mojo

Any issues going from white vinyl to black? I think it might be real naugahyde, and probably made from real naugas. Very thick material. It's going to be in direct sunlight (dash panel, and panel at rear window deck), and is just a holdover until I can have it redone in the next few years.

11. partssaloon

partssaloon

Like RustRunner said, clean it REAL good and they also make a prep spray that works well. I did my El Camino interior that was blue and changed it to gray, it didn't show any wear after 8 years.

Blue One likes this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Klean- Strip makes, Bulldog Adhesion Promoter

13. That is what I used but it appears they no longer make the dye. HRP

14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I think that I need to check out this brown vinyl at Princess Auto.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Depending on where you live they may or may not have any.
    I found it in the surplus department and stuff in that department comes and goes and it’s hit and miss finding some things.

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Props for Princess! That store gets disrespected far to often but for what they are they are great. A bought a bead roller off them they were trying to clear at $100 bucks and a comparable one from Woodward Fab was $699 US. Bought about eight of them and re-sold to fund my fun(d). You have to keep your eye open there.

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I would say pass on the cheap stuff. You have gone over the top to this point why cheap out now? Get material you real want, I bet you will be money ahead down the road.
    Sorry just my two cents.

da34guy and upspirate like this.
  18. upspirate

upspirate

What is the cost difference between buying the cheap vinyl and die compared to the proper color vinyl that will hold up to wear?

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Guys, it was just an idea that came to mind as I saw that roll of vinyl mat on the shelf. At the same time I was looking at the really thin trunk liner type carpet they sell in rolls trying to decide what to use on the floor under my bomber seats.
    They bolt directly to the floor and I should put something under them.
    I just thought the vinyl might be better than the thin carpet which would hold water.
    I might even look at rubber.

20. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Spray the surfaces with a couple of coats of M.E.K and allow it to soak in.[don't rub/touch the surfaces at all]
    Then spray the dye, it will soak right into the vinyl [PVC]

You'll need a couple of days for the chemicals to fully evaporate/dry