Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 comet wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -DonalD-, Jul 29, 2018.

1. -DonalD-

-DonalD-

There’s a 250ci and c4 still bolted together for sale near me. From a 73 maverick.

Is there any good reason I shouldn’t consider this ? Instead of building a 200?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It won't fit, without major surgery.

You would need to move the radiator forward, and there is no room to do that, and put in a hood blister to clear the air cleaner.

The 250 has a larger and longer water pump, and a taller deck height.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  3. -DonalD-

-DonalD-

I figured there had to be a real good reason you didn’t suggest the 250. Thank you.

4. -DonalD-

-DonalD-

I found another setup. Listed as a 1979 200 and automatic trans. Still together in the vehicle so I can hear it run. This should be the c4 trans?

This should be a bolt in setup for me?

Is there anything good or bad about this year?

Also, I would like to keep the wagon automatic. The wife would like to drive it. And she has no interest in learning how to drive a manual. So I’m thinking a c4 is probably the best (and easiest) trans to put behind the 200.

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It might be a C5, which is pretty much a C4 anyway.
    It's really good to get the engine and transmission together, so you don't go through the headaches of matching the starter motor, the flywheel, torque convertor and engine block plate etc. etc.
    Gimpy mentioned that the 1980-up 200 head is better, maybe get the head casting number to see if the one you are considering is still a good one.
    Pick up the drive shaft as well, or at least the transmission yoke. If possible get the whole donor car, as there may be other parts to use that can't be foreseen.

The bellhousing might be a little big for your transmission tunnel.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. Joe Lemay

Joe Lemay

Looks like it lived a nice life!

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. -DonalD-

-DonalD-

I’m definitely trying to look for a mated pair when looking for motors. I’ll add the drive shaft to the list of things to get.

If the bell housing is a little big it won’t bother me too much. The front floors were patched at one point and not that great. Would be a good time to do a quality repair while doing any tunnel mods.

8. -DonalD-

-DonalD-

It did so far. And hopefully getting better. Took it to the Wheels of Time show last weekend. It got a lot of attention.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pre-1980's head is not a bad one, just not quite as good as the later one, but it's close.

If doing any cam work, or any head milling, clean and re-use the adjustable rockers from your 1960. Later rockers do not adjust.

If you are dumping the 1960 engine, keep the rockers.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure you put fresh lube in the rear axle, and just cruise nicely. This isn't a rubber layin' ride. It has either a 6-3/4" ring gear or a 7-1/4" ring gear. I forget if the wagons got the bigger of those two.

It will hold up, just don't try to break it.

11. -DonalD-

-DonalD-

I was told if I wanted to keep the 4 lug pattern, which I am considering because of the new wheels. That are 14s. To get a rear from a maverick. Better rear but has the 4 lug pattern.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can find one. They are getting scarce.

I have a 4-lug rear in my '60. It came from a 1991 Ranger. I re-drilled it, and turn down the registers.

13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I'm pretty sure the Mavericks all had five lug wheels. The Mustang II had four, but possibly a different bolt circle from the early Falcon / Comet four bolt wheels.

14. Not the early Mavericks. The '70 models were all four lug, five lug arrived the next year but only on the V8 versions. Five lug didn't become standard on all versions until Ford made front discs standard equipment in '73 or '74 IIRC...

Falcon, Comet, early Maverick, and Mustang II all used the same four lug bolt pattern. Pretty sure Corvair used the same pattern too, as I seem to recall the early Falcon guys would use the wider wheels offered on some of the sportier versions as a upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Interesting. The Maverick I had was a 1975, with a 200 six cylinder and had five bolt wheels.

So I, ahem, assumed that all years would be the same.

16. -DonalD-

-DonalD-

In my search for a disc brake setup, I found a local guy selling the front end off his 67 fairlane. All rebuilt w PST parts and Csrp disc brakes. Will this stuff swap into the comet wagon? I tried a lot of searching and came up with nothing.

He’s only selling because he went to Mustang II front end.

Seller says the disc brake setup was listed as “fairlane, comet, falcon” when he bought it.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Does not fit.

18. RmK57

RmK57

I thought the change over from four to five lug was 1968 for all ford products with an 8-inch axle.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Maverick went all the way to 1974.

20. -DonalD-

-DonalD-

[​IMG]

So it’s a little hard to tell in the picture. But the wagon has gotten some new parts over the course of fall and winter. Even though a lot of the suspension was new or newer it all got replaced. I put a Cpp minisubframe and dual adjustable coil overs up front with Fatman 2” drop spindles and disc brakes. The rear got an 8” rear from a 63 falcon, different lowering blocks, and qa1 dual adjustable shocks.

We really enjoyed the car last summer and fall. But we kept bottoming out from how lot it was. And the small amount of suspension travel lead to a very rough ride.

Tires just got mounted the other day so final wheel fitment will happen this weekend then some parts and wheels will go off to powder coater.