Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tips for the DIY’er glass installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Firedup, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Firedup

Firedup
    from Oregon

Got some new gaskets for the front and rear glass. Just looking for any special tools, tricks or tips any of you have used. i.e. rope, soapy water etc. I did some searching and did not come up with much.

mikhett likes this.
  2. I used guitar string, the bass one, to cut (saw) the old gasket out of the channel. I used small rope to pull the new gasket into the channel.

3. squirrel

squirrel

there are different tricks and tips for different cars. I'm guessing you're looking for mid 50s Ford tips and tricks?

If there is metal trim that fits into the rubber, then install that into the rubber after installing the rubber onto the glass. then install the glass/rubber/trim into the car, using string pushed around the groove, to work the lip over the pinchweld. If there is just rubber and no metal trim, then put the rubber on the glass, and string into the rubber, and place it all into the car, and again use the string to pull the rubber lip over the pinch weld.

If there is a locking strip, put the rubber into the car, then the glass into the rubber, then install the lock strip. Usually this was not used in the 50s, though.

Firedup likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Twine, and waterless hand cleaner (without grit).

5. ...I use a piece of 14 guage (with the insulation)electrical wire instead of the string or rope, as I've had them break,..the wire is very strong and smooth, works great,...also use dish soap on the pinchweld to help the rubber slip into place.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Firedup likes this.
  6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When applying pressure to the string don't just pull it as it'll probably tear the seal. Have a reasonable tension in the string and hold it about 3 inches away from the place where it's coming out, and then rotate in the direction you're working whilst maintaining tension. It'll progressively work the rubber over the lip with each revolution - it provides a grip, pull over, release, move forward action. The rotation need to be as big as possible for the pull length of the string, and as near as possible to the same plane as the glass - like the hands moving on a clock (only faster!).
    Chris

7. squirrel

squirrel

I use that yellow nylon string that the concrete guys use, it's pretty good for this. Having a good helper is a big plus, too.

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

There is a complete set of glass installation instructions with illustrations on the Van Pelt web site.

9. squirrel

squirrel

factory shop manuals from that era are pretty good about having specific instructions for a car. For example, they tell you how to remove the surrounding trim, which is really helpful on cars such as the tri 5 chevys, there are hidden nuts, etc.

10. Firedup

Firedup
    from Oregon

Good suggestions fellas. Hope installation goes well. Thanks

11. no55mad

no55mad

Warm the seal up before installation to make it more flexible. Let it sit in the sun for a few hours or put the seal in hot water.

Firedup likes this.
  12. I lay the seal out on the hood in the sun for a couple of hours. Less on real hot days!

Firedup likes this.