Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Art of the Headlight location.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Davyj

Davyj

Here is a pic of a friends roadster, this to me is the best placement for a fenderless 33 / 34

Attached Files:

2. Man this is a great thread but one thing I think has not be talked about is adjust them so one light is not pointing into the woods and the other into the sky I see a lot of cars come and going with their lights out of adjustment and wonder how they see were they are going. But I like them low and big.

3. How can there be no minimum AND have an exemption?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. There is a blanket exemption for specialty vehicles, that basically says that they are exempt from equipment requirements for newer cars. As long as whatever was there as original equipment has been replaced with something of a similar nature (i.e. Brakes are either the same or better as original), you should be alright.

5. Just pretty good? Whatever dude...it turned out bitchin.;):cool:

6. prpmmp

prpmmp

I must be a weirdo!! Every car here looks great and the headlight placement seems to work with each car!! Can anybody resize Jarheads picture of his car?(have to scroll over to see it,can't get a full view) car looks awesome!! Pete

7. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Just right click the picture and select view image and BOOM there it is.

8. I think it depends on the car. I do like them low on my roadster.
    ROADSTER 005.JPG

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  9. The car took on a way better look with this grill and the headlights. It looks good from the side also. I posted a few more pictures on my original build thread here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545908 of what's been done and what's coming. Some pictures of the seats are now in the album. It's also driving now.
    Thanks Matt.

10. To me, height isn't the hard part. But that seems to be most of what is being discussed and shown here.

The forward/backward placement (relative to the grill) and the horizontal width between the lights are the factors that get me in the "mock it up a hundred times" zone.

Walt

Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Yup that's where I'm at.:D

12. I agree, but height also plays into it. It took a couple weeks of tacking and grinding and re-tacking until I came up with my placement. Forward, back, closer to the grill, closer to the tires, up, down, it is a big decision as its the eyes of your car and people notice them!!

13. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Like beautiful chick with a lazy eye.:D

Bandit Billy likes this.
  14. Exactly!!! Or Marty Feldman eyes!!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  15. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

Building a 32 hiboy right now and purchased the speedway stanchions and they looked right with my grill and front suspension but battled with the size of lights, i.e., 8.5 - 10. Agree the lower setup look is most popular, but didn't even realize how many options were out there. Great thread

16. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Just like women's boobs they come in all shapes and sizes. Some are bigger than others, some are high some are low, some point in different directions, some are pointy some are flat....wait what were we talking about?:rolleyes:

17. jarhead

jarhead

Ok......Thanks!

18. pitman

pitman

This mount was one approach, w/cycle fenders. An A light bar, and two angled pieces of tie-rod tube, w/mount covers that sat a top the shock bushings, used stock A pickup lights.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  19. Finally ended up here. It appeals to me. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ever been to a nightclub dancing? Men aren't suppose to break an imaginary line drawn about shoulder height. Hands below that line...great. Hands above? Not so much, unless you are a gypsy with jazz hands in Broadway musical.

That imaginary line for me with regards to highboys is the top of the front tires. No more than 50% of the headlight extending past that point. Preferably less that 25%.

bowie and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That looks about perfect, about even with the top of the tires and about even with the front of the grill. Just right! I personally prefer smaller lights (7" Dietz or King Bee), but those are not bad, not like the commercial 32 lights so many people use (hate them!).

22. rustythumb

rustythumb

big headlights on a traditional ww2 to late 60's hot rod is kind of revisionist history.

bowie, daddio211, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  23. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Great thread. I always find that headlight placement can make or break the look of any hot rod.

Attached Files:

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  24. This thread has a bunch of good looking rods. More than enough to fill out a couple of calendars.

Just be sure that where ever you mount those lights, they are rock solid. There's nothing worse than headlight beams jiggling like a drop of water on a hot skillet. That's an automatic fail and grounds for a pistol whipping. :p

26 T Ford RPU and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope you don't buy into the theory that "more than a handful is a waste". I like 'em big and beaming.

26. Wonder what nimrod did in the end? This was a really nice build to me. . Nimrodfront.jpg

27. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

IMG_6592.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. liljoe

liljoe
    from detroit

D7F13C38-27DF-4A33-A8EC-44AD6147B5F5.jpeg Fabbed 3 sets of mounts to get them where I thought they should be.

chop job, patmanta, alfin32 and 4 others like this.
  29. I also like a big pair.;) {1934 Dodge} 010.jpg .