Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What’s its worth.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Still got er!! Everyday I’m in the shop working on something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltflats likes this.
  2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You're totally right, he totally can!

Yes and no lately on the price point though. The market has cooled A LOT on the rougher bodies and parts in our area from what I've seen. I've been eyeing the same rough sport coupe all summer sitting at $1200 out west and that 33 I was eyeing in the spring sold for around 2k or less iirc. I've seen a bunch of complete and fairly clean A Tudors going for $3-4k. I think @Mikel50 sold a coupe project recently that had some work to get to the finish line but was pretty nice; he may have a better idea what's going on with the market than I do.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    46international likes this.
  3. I say go for it! Not all of us have 5 or 10 thousand dollars to buy a project car, with three kids a mortgage and life I never know if I can put money into a project any given month.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jim Lato likes this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

There is a thread on here, something, like " So you started with just a cowl " I haven't been able to find it, but that would be some good inspiration.

Jim Lato likes this.
  5. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Well that’s kind of where I’m at, I’m just collecting stuff as it comes, good deals ya know? Cause yea I don’t got a ton of money to blow but I have the skills to create something out of nothing at least

6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

With a full time job, family, house projects, etc. working on it in spare ( haha) time one with moderate skills and tools could do a body in a few weeks.
    There are MANY variables:
    Your capabilities, tools, and quality of parts.
    The roadster in my pictures was made from pieces. Very rusty pieces. This was my first ground up build. ( The 57 was a whole car)
    I patched up, and then re- patched up the panels, assembled it, made everything fit, then did bodywork. This took me 6 weeks.

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rust runner likes this.
  7. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

patmanta and Jim Lato like this.
  8. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I’d say, with the tools I have minus a (good) English wheel) or stretcher puller, and taking my time and doing the same as he did, piece my piece getting it to look like a car again then redoing it. Comfortably a year with farming and work and (free) time lol hell im in no rush anyways I got other hot rods I can play in. Now if I didn’t... then I’d be in a rush lol

9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya @saltflats was trying to find it. I want to dig through that thread

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Get a good set of shrinker/stretchers before a wheel, IMO

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Somebody on here needs to sell this guy a beat up 32 Ford on the cheap. Because I feel like he has the passion to put it back on the road.

patmanta and Jim Lato like this.
  12. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ever since I was little I always oogled the 27-34 stuff obviously 32 and 33 being my favorites

13. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Wish I could like this comment like 10 or 15 times haha

14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Oh and for a sense of reassurance... I cannot stand today’s definition of rat rods... I am not a rat rod guy. When I was little I remember rat rods being a old rusty car with baby moons and red pin stripes on the skins. Now it’s just ridiculous looking. TO ME, not dissing guys that enjoy that thing. But it’s just not my style.

VANDENPLAS and stanlow69 like this.
  15. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

What my vision is, something along the lines of @wheeldog s setup or a cool scallop paint job. With some sweet pizza cutters on it

16. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG]

I like this but I think it’s a little too flashy

17. adam401

adam401

If that body was in my town and it was $1000.00. I would own it. And anyone reading this that has a body in that condition and is in driving distance from me that thinks rotten coupe bodies are worthless I've got the cash in my pocket.

I bought this beauty a couple months ago and I don't even like Vickys.
    20180609_114123_Film1_1528559092276.jpg 20170523_120837_Film1_1527879823955.jpg 20170523_120909_Film1_1527879849750.jpg
    Paid 500.00. Didn't think twice about it.

18. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

So happy you nailed down that Vicky!!! Even tho you don’t like it! Good score man

adam401 likes this.
  19. adam401

adam401

Ill tell you one other thing and its not real science but I've always seen it to be true. Once you get in the game and have a project going more stuff finds you.

A project car is a magnet. Buy a fucked up body and you'll run into a guy that has half of one for sale while your at the hardware store. People see the shit in your driveway and stop and tell you about one rotting at they're brother in laws house. Its happened to me a lot. I don't know why but it does. Sometimes the first thing you buy just attracts what you end up building.

patmanta, Squablow and wheeldog57 like this.
  20. adam401

adam401

Thanks. They're out there

21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Yesterday I found one for 3500$ body only lol

22. adam401

adam401

Just buy that coupe body. If you have to weld the bottom inch on a car or the bottom 6 inches who cares. The difference is negligible

23. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I would man, but the fella I learned will not sell all those old cars he’s got and it’s a junk yard. His grand son said he likes to hoard all of them. So they just sit and rot.. it’s a shame. Cause I’d nab it up now that I’m super fired up to get my project going

24. adam401

adam401

There s a sport coupe for sale in the classifieds here for 1200.00 in Lowell Indiana. Google says that's 6 hours from you. Road trip.

patmanta likes this.
  25. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

And I totally would Adam, but the issue here on my end like some of the others the parts I have so far I’ve barely paid any money for. Working and running a farm along with my hobby full time I’m trying to slip into the right deals. Cause I don’t got a lot of dough laying around. So with fabbing up stuff to make someone else’s (ah throw it away it’s not worth it) junk into my treasure. If I had the cash I’d go out and buy it. But I don’t that’s why I was hoping that fella would sell me it for cheap ! So I could make all my own new steel and bring it back to life. Just waiting for the right opportunity. Got the ford flathead and trans, radiator to match it, front end is built, have the front suspension. Need body and frame and debating on making my own frame. As well as dash components I need too.

26. Stooge

Stooge

The guy who owns the body in the original post will no longer sell it? or are you talking about the owner of the cars in the woods?
    Go show up with some cash to the original body and get it home! The more I think about it, and remembering some of the prices for stuff around New England, I would be dragging this thing home if I was looking for another big project and this was local, especially if you already have most of a chassis, ( I think I read that here, right?)

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I did find that thread , but that's not the one I was thinking of. And have had no luck finding it.

28. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

The guy that owns the car in the original post is a guy that owns a yard named Cooleys, he hoards those types of cars from why his grand son says. Now the other cars I saw up in MN in the woods is Rufus which one of the fellas on here told me about. I still gotta go up their but he isn’t giving them away either

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Great body to learn on. Get some sheet metal, a hammer and dolly, wire welder, small grinder and go for it. If you screw up just do it over. You might surprise yourself at what you can accomplish if you want it bad enough.

Jim Lato likes this.
  30. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

does anyone have any back burner bodies that they could sell cheap? i mean i dont wanna screw anyone but it would be cool to get another one of these old girls on the road. there are a few guys that have offered me some stuff and im am really appreciative that they have, and i feel for a reasonable price, but unfortunately that price is nice something i dont got floating around... and to be honest, what i can afford probably isnt realistic on what i can get. i know where there is a model a that rolled 200ft down a hill and has been sitting in the lake since i was 15. but i need a pontoon to go get it, and im sure johnny law or DNR would have my ass for removing it. i think the frame and all is there.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.