Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Desert car what is it, can I register it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bisblue, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I lived in Carson City, Nevada in the 70s and 80s and going out to old mine sites was a great way to get old car stuff. It was long since abandoned and the dry air saved the medal. A friend got a 35 Chevy Master coupe. The frame was gone to the war medal drives years before. My friend had a yard full of build able cars and trucks that he pulled out of the desert. He said that he had no problem getting paper (title). He did a affidavit and title request. I would suspect that laws have changed but I don’t know. I went to a old mine in Humbolt and the owner gave me a great 40 frame. My 27 roadster came from the desert near Lovelock. I did a affidavit and had no problem getting a title and blue VIN was number tag. I had no problem getting a title. I moved back to Alabama in 1990 with titles for all of my cars and trucks.
    Good luck.

2. ...there's nothin wrong with those old Ramblers,...here's a buddy's...
    cannonball rally 9=13-18 046.jpg

slv63 and Surfcityrocker like this.
  3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've dated some crazy broads, none crazy enough to want that thing, and none so crazy I hated them enough to put them in a turd like that

54vicky and upspirate like this.
  4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and 54vicky like this.
  5. gene-koning

gene-koning

Getting a title for that Rambler will depend on what state you live in. Getting it out of the desert might be a whole different story. Just because you can backpack to where the car is sitting, that doesn't mean you can get a truck and trailer there, and then get it up onto the trailer might be another story all together. I don't know what hoops you will need to jump through to legally remove it from where it currently sits, what it takes to get it titled where you live, or how you will get it from where it currently sits to your home, but it sounds like a lot of work to me. Then you have to build it into whatever your vision for it is.

It will be a lot easier and might be a lot cheaper to find a still living example near you for sale with proper paper work, but I know what its like to find THE car. If the car is speaking to you, at this point you have already invested some time in it, I think you need to follow through and see what is involved in legally getting it to your house and getting the title work started. You also need to evaluate your building skills to be sure you can pull off this complex project before you get in too deep, might want to read the abandoned project thread here. If you move forward, let us know, we are always up for watching others joining in our craziness. Gene

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Or it could be great case study material for repair of stretched sheet metal and practice vehicle for serious metal repair. Because craftsmanship.

54vicky likes this.
  7. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

If you get that POS your Wife, she just may decide to put a bunch of bullet holes in you !!!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

54vicky likes this.
  8. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

I meant " if you get that POS for your Wife"

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Don't let folks talk you out of it. If this is the car you want, and you have the skills, and chedder, to put it back on the road, Please do. They ain't making any more of them, and every one we save puts one more back among the living.

10. You might want to discuss your project with your insurance agent. Years ago my insurance agent told me that they wouldn't insure a car that looked like an accident looking for a place to happen.

Charlie Stephens

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you can get it without getting into trouble, Why not? I think early DeSotos are really ugly. But there is a build thread on here that is pretty nice. And that is not the only time someone had better vision than I. And if you really screw it up. Who cares? It was junk when you started. It should be educational what ever happens. It might be a real experience for you.

12. I think you guys are talking to the desert air now.

13. While talking to a friend who works for the BLM about the original "poster's" Rambler, she said that if the car is within an historic site, it should be left there. It doesn't look like that is the situation. On the other hand, she told me that sometimes the BLM will actually pay you to remove "refuse" from their land. Just call the local BLM with the location and see where it falls.

14. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas