Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new 1957 Chevy Bel Air 4dr Hard Top project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Sep 18, 2018.

1. The pair I had one was pretty rusty and the other was a very solid car. no drivetrain the rusty one was a roller. the rear end gone from the solid car. I much prefer 55,s and 56's so after owning them a monthI sold them. paid $350 each and sold them for $1400 for the pair.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Chevy57dude, I'm surprised at the lack of rust so far. I have .CA cars that didn't spend there life in the northeast that still get pretty rusty. Sadly even us south west people are not immune to rust albeit not nearly as bad!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chevy57dude likes this.
  3. Ive got the stick pedals and under dash bracketry from a 57 (its different than a 55 &56) that I will sell. PM me if your interested.

kidcampbell71 and chevy57dude like this.
  4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Now now gentleman no reason to get too puffy. The grandson is a nice kid. Pretty big for a 20yr old! Doing better than a lot of guys in his circle inregards to not drinking and doing drugs. As for the flip flops, that was my idea because he was bare foot and I said if you are going to help me go throw on some shoes. Lol. And yes, there may be a few too many Twinkies going on and he at 6.3 I'm convinced can take a bear! His brute strength and willingness to get dirty was appreciated!

5. The guy who made the Twinkie comment said he's speaking for "everyone''.
    Not the case, for sure. Good on you for involving young people in the hobby.

50 customcoupe and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I totally get that. 57 are pretty over done all over. I figured though the pictures might be fun for someone some where to look at. I'm just waiting for some one to some day wonder way 31hotroguy only ever post pictures on 57's. Ha ha ha

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  7. The ''Sport Sedan'' is the name for the 4dr HT. While the 2 door ''Sport Coupe'' is the favored hard top, swapping doors & creating a unique look might not be worth it. That car looks great to me the way it is.
    Ah yes, the dreaded broken grille bar from being stepped on..
    Don't put an LS in it and you'll get plenty of support.

egads, Nailhead A-V8 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One of the few 4 door 50's cars I would own! Good looking start to a nice car.

9. I dunno. More doors just do not excite me I dint want one when I was a Teen and still dont. and apparently im not alone. I have a 56 chevy 4 door sedan its as solid of a car its age you are likely to find. very little rust out. It runs has a title and Ive been asking $3000 and it hasn't sold in three years. If I keep it eventually it will receive the two door conversion.

10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Personally, I've yet to be offended on the HAMB. I've seen others go at it pretty bad and some times just sit back with a bag of popcorn and in joy the show.

kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and Old wolf like this.
  11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

So, I'm still not sure what the plan is with the bel air. The problem is I have adult ADHD and too many projects. Lol. Originally i bought a 9 passenger 57 wagon but it has some rust issues that have slowed me down. Then I started looking for another 57 to replace my 2dr sedan as my daily driver. I was actually looking at another wagon in town that wasn't a bad deal per say but the rockers and floors were gone and then this thing came up. I am learning towards early 60's cruiser. My buddy thinks Jr stocker. It is pretty complete..... I'm actually surprised. My biggest thing will be avoiding the temptation of taking everything apart so I can make it "perfect." I know my track record and so far it sucks so I want to get it going. Either way, it will be 3 things. A stick car, solid color an a driver.

kiwijeff and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Yeah 57chevydude, I hear 4dr 57's with LS engines don't do so well on the HAMB. I think that guy's thread got closed but I'm not sure. Don't worry my small journal 383 is almost finished. Then again I could just be normal and throw together a 220hp 283 in and call it good for now.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree on the regular 4 door sedans, but the 4 door hardtops look pretty neat, especially with all the windows down.

14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is awesome, please keep us posted with progress pics and news. I'm sure your son is totally jacked to get started, this brings back great memories for me. My first real car was a 57 Bel Air, though mine was a 4 door post with a 283 and Turboglide. Easily the baddest car in the parking lot of high school in 2001. The hardtop is much cooler. The beauty of these is that you're not constantly hunting parts and can make a good driver out of them without much work. Love it. 35264743_10104656409884174_6215004383835324416_n.jpg 35402439_10104656409769404_3707865354198843392_n.jpg

15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Old wolf, I'm actually with you on the more door cars. When I was a teenager I wanted a 55 2dr sedan and passed up a couple of wagons and 4dr sedans because i had to have the 2dr. Sadly it would take another 15 yrs before I got the 55 2dr but now i look back and think I could have at least driven a 55 or 57 in high school if I hadn't been so picky. The funny thing is this current generation of young people have had 30yrs of 4dr cars and thus don't have the huge preference as "we" did back in the old days. I will never ever in a million years get any money back that I put into the 4dr hardtop but I think of it this way. Since this is my driver this will be my 2018 Chevy truck or my 2018 fill in the blank or whatever newer car most have . As for the 2dr projects I'll leave those for my restoration plans. I want to retire the black 2dr from daily driving. One because it is really hot in the warm months and two it really needs to go back to being its original form which a Jr stocker. This is why I'm excited about getting the 4dr hardtop on the road. Plus I think I'd cry a little less if it ever gets crunched. 1510084058908.jpeg 20170228_144455.jpeg 20170220_131337.jpeg 20171226_152005.jpeg

16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thank you for sharing! This is exactly what I am talking about. This is what I would have passed up while in school because I was holding out for the 2dr that came years later. This is what I can hopefully get for my kids when they are ready to drive. Maybe not quite as cool off the bat but I bet it didn't take to much for you to get to this point. Not to mention I bet you had a ton of fun!

17. Well back in the day I had the four door cars. First was a 57 that cost me $40. then a 55 that cost $65 and a 56 that cost $35. and they became parts cars the front caps sold to be installed on damaged 2 dr cars, I had 2 dr 55 & 56 fords and various pickups so to me 4 drs where just parts cars. I junked a nice 56 ford 4 door wagon that had gobs of options, It even had factory air cond.

chevy57dude likes this.
  18. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

19. 55chevr

55chevr

As kids we felt that 4 doors were family cars. All hot rods were supposed to have 2 doors. I do remember a local guy that had a candy apple 57 4 door hardtop. The rear door handles were removed. It was a sharp car.
    Joe

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. congrats on the 4-dr sport sedan score...

as for a 4-dr HT made into a two door, I've seen photos of one that I can remember. I saw it on ebay 10+ years ago. You knew something was up when you saw it but since it was a '2dr ht', the 4-dr ht only roof was hiding in plain sight. So you could easily overlook it if you weren't paying attention. Sorry, no pics to share, but I do remember thinking it was a well executed modification.

Enjoy the Belair!

31hotrodguy likes this.
  21. A four door hard top is by far the coolest of the four doors! Should be a lot of fun. Try www.trifive.com for info and maybe parts

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Sorry man, that one is for my wife. . It is supposed to be factory red with bel air trim.

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've posted this before. In my high school, there was an upper-classman, who had a 57 Chevrolet 4 door hardtop. He had welded/bondo'd in the rear doors, so it looked somewhat like a 2 door hardtop. Then he had the entire rear seat area redone in a wrap around lounge/bar/restaurant booth fashion. Car was red, with your typical built 283 and 4 speed conversion of the time. Guy had a "Buddy Holly" look, with glasses and combed back hair, and was popular with the girls. Everyone like the car. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Old wolf, I sent you a pm.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Yes I read it. I only have whats under the dash and the rod that sticks thru the firewall & attaches to the Zbar. I don't have the Z bar frame ball bellhousing bracket or the rod that connects the Z bar to the Clutch fork. But I do have everything under the dash including the assist spring.

27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That will work for me. Pm me your price. I'm always looking for stick stuff.

28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Wheeldog57, it NEVER hurts to ask! That is how i go the hardtop and the 55 gasser and my black 57 2dr. Some guys get pretty offended when you ask. oh well.

29. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If youre gonna own a car with extra doors, that's the one to own.
    Friend has one that he shaved the rear door handles from. You've gotta look twice to realize its a 4 door.
    Get it on the road and enjoy cruising it!

31hotrodguy likes this.