Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You got close both times. :D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

saltflats likes this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So what you shootin for now, the H.A.M.B. Drags next year? :D

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is no joke...it feels like we are at an absolute crawl over here. Between work, flu, daughter's first year in college, and a strong lack of motivation to clean the shop (which has to happen before we can even find the little Cobra let alone work on it) things are definitely dragging.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well this morning I got up with the goal of degreeing the cam and putting the Boss 363 upper end together. The push rods showed up Friday so I am ready to go. We removed the test springs and reinstalled the real valve springs etc. Then we went to the parts shelf and started unpacking and laying out everything we would need.

20180916_155727.jpeg

20180916_155754.jpeg

I got out my big blue Moroso degree wheel and crank socket. I installed the piston bump stop plus fashioned and attached a nice pointer.

20180916_155745.jpeg

Then I grabbed the socket above...brain fart! It would have worked perfectly if I was able to stuff a big block Chevy crank in the little Ford but no such luck. I now have one coming this week but it pretty much put the Kabash on today's plans

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    chryslerfan55, Sancho and enloe like this.
  7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also had to order a new torque wrench. My Dad has had the same Craftsman Unit for 40 years and it finally gave up the ghost a week or so ago while he was torquing lug nuts on the coupe. I will probably try and send it off somewhere and see if it is serviceable but for now we need a new one.

So I went online and Googled the best Torque Wrenches for 2018. There was one name that kept coming up over and over: Tekton. To be honest though it was pretty cheap. The model that kept claiming the top spot on every list only cost $38.00. This would obviously be the first Torque Wrench I have ever had to purchase but I certainly thought it would cost more than that.

I kept searching even found a MotorTrend video where a shop compared the Tekton in question with a $360 Snap On unit. The only thing they could find wrong or different between the two in a long term shop study was the Snap on Unit had a pivoting head. They came to the same conclusion as me: "For $320 I can do with out a pivoting head." LOL
    617dpGMFhhL._SL1500_.jpg

8. squirrel

squirrel

My Craftsman has given up too, good timing....

Deuced Up! likes this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Years back, Home Depot was pushing the Husky brand of tools and offered trade in of any brand tool that had a lifetime warranty.
    So I tool my clapped out Craftsman torque wrench in and traded it for a new Husky.
    The funny part is that a Craftsman torque wrench only have a 90 day warranty, but I forgot to mention that. :D

chryslerfan55, Deuced Up! and enloe like this.
  10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20180917_200828.jpeg

As you can see above we are going to be pretty tight when it comes to the oil filter. It is something we recognized early on.

But check out what Dad discovered today while reading Street Rodder. It's a 90 degree adapter from Ford Racing.

9106880_L_d97d6cc1-d40b-4d00-8203-c4fca6d76339.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep...that was my plan until this thing. Now we can put a nice sized Wix Racing filter on it. But those shorties are cool.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You should put some Thunderbird wings on your engine mount brackets. :D

chryslerfan55 and Deuced Up! like this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. oldolds

oldolds

If you use that adapter, try to set it up so the filter hangs to the right. On some Ford trucks. they use a similar adapter. Sometimes they have the filter hanging on the left side. I have seen them loosen and leak. Use the weight to keep it tight if possible. Imagine the weight of a quart of oil being dropped when the front end hits the ground after a big wheelie.

chryslerfan55 and Deuced Up! like this.
  16. that oil filter bracket should also make less of a mess when you change the filter.

AmishMike, Sancho and Deuced Up! like this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly what I thought when I saw it.

chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am thinking straight up and down like a normal engine (ie Chevrolet) works...LMAO!!!! That should stir the pot!

raven, chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  19. oldolds

oldolds

Quick starts might loosen it too. Hanging on one bolt with nothing to stop it from moving is the problem. Just a thought. Keep an eye on it if you use it.

20. squirrel

squirrel

or get the bolt tight.

enloe, egads, oldolds and 1 other person like this.
  21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just got the torque wrench. I am pretty impressed with the way it looks...lol. It will take some getting used to. On its neck it is broken down in increments of 25 so a bit more counting on fingers and toes between settings as compared to my old wrench. But I took it out and tested the torque on several nuts on the fork truck. It has a very nice pop indication. I will see about trying it for real tonight. I also got the Ford Crank Socket for the degree wheel so we are back in business.

22. oldolds

oldolds

You are tightening against the rubber o-ring. You can make it tight. Sometimes that o-ring has other ideas about how much is tight or too tight. Most times it is no problem. Smooth running daily driver it usually stays. The harsh environment of racing and vibrations of the race engine. Things happen. I would hate to see 10 quarts of race oil laid down on a race track. As we all know sh-- happens.

23. squirrel

squirrel

some guys use loctite or safety wire on bolts on race cars....

oldolds, enloe and egads like this.
  24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am looking forward to trying to break it loose...LOL!

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, get it tight. I have the same adapter on a 460 in my E350 motorhome, it's never came loose. But then again, I wasn't pulling 6 foot wheelstands, either!

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The adapter looks like a 90° so filter would end up horizontal? I think there is one with an angle [other than 90°] that will let the filter hang straight down about in line with front cover..Pretty sure I have an old one but don't think it used "O" rings..

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Eat a Snickers; you"ll feel better!!

enloe, Deuced Up! and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am stuffing a Ford 351W into a 1948 Austin A40 and I don't have room for even a shorty filter. I am using a Canton Racing 90 degree adapter and a Trans Dapt remote oil filter mount.

Canton 90 degree adapter.JPG
    Trans Dapt 1028 filter mount.JPG

29. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

raven and Deuced Up! like this.
  30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep...my 17 year old daughter trying her hand there during the mad scramble a few months ago. She was proud to be helping though...lol

Have not had time to go back and address them. Actually there is plate going right there to strengthen the frame "z" and cage leg etc. But the out rigger and a couple of other spots will have to be cut out and rewelded.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    saltflats likes this.