Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What’s its worth.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Sep 17, 2018.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good point on the Bass '29, but that wasn't his first rodeo. Northern rusted thin stuff vs desert find Southwest stuff does differ. ;)Bob

2. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

Damm...being from az I wouldn't even look at that. BUT I will add to the guys that can fix them. .more power to em. Lotta people here have serious metal skills. Nothing more inspiring than looking at some of these builds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. KKrod

KKrod

Depends on how long you want to wait before having a driving car! This will take a long time.

scotty t likes this.
  4. Slopok

Slopok

What are they asking for it, or are you just supposed to make an offer?

5. X-cpe

X-cpe

Coupster material was my first thought. What's it worth? That is where YOU have to take a deep, cold , hard, mercenary look at it. Get over the dreamy eyed conception of what it could be. What's the price of the body you would love to have? Now, to take that one to level that you want, what what is it going to cost you. What can you ,or, are willing to buy for it? What can you make for it? What skills do you already have? What skills are you willing to learn? What is the learning curve to obtain those skills and the time frame to do so? What tools and equipment do you have and what will you need to obtain or borrow? What tasks will you have to pay or barter for? Do you have a place to work on it and a place to store the disassembled parts? Is perseverance part of your personality? What is your trade off between the satisfaction of a piece well done vs. the aggravation of getting there? Add all that up and subtract it from the price (that may go up or down) of the finished car. That's the value of that body. If you're not doing it for a living your time doesn't count any more than if you were following a little white ball for a couple plus miles.

scotty t, patmanta, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  6. evintho

evintho

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here ya go. slice it as thin as you can and make a resin table top out of it like they do with wood. there are videos on you tube. I like the yellow mold.

[​IMG]

8. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

In my opinion, that thing is a mess. If you are in Wisconsin, look up Bob Bleed. He has a shop near Milwaukee called Midwest Fabricators, and he is always selling stuff. Check the HAMB Classifieds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71, patmanta and Jim Lato like this.
  9. Just because you can , doesnt always mean you should !!!!

scotty t and Jim Lato like this.
  10. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

at this point fellas, when they get back to me, and i know the old man from the yard.. hes gonna ask a stupid amount for it... but by chance which is slim... he says 100$ ill get it. I am always looking for one, but right now with farming and hours cut at work its just a bad time for me to buy, so thats why i was asking what you guys thought it would be worth. once i get back on my feet here soon ill probably go out west or something. but i figured maybe id luck out for only a 23 min drive vs 23 hours

46international and patmanta like this.
  11. Stooge

Stooge

Have you seen it in person and able to fondle it a bit, or are those pictures from an ad? if you can get it home for under $500, and below the pillars/body metal isn't 'poke your finger through' thin with rot, it could be a good to have to at least start to piece meal a body together with other donor parts from other bodies. Without knowing what your capable of sheet metal wise, its going to be a lot of work, but if you've got free time, why not. Most of a cowl, most of the doors, and most of the quarters are more than what you have now, but I would anticipate on having to buy most of another donor body at some point to mix and match and conservatively a year to get it sorted, especially if its your first go. Good luck, have fun!

patmanta and Jim Lato like this.
  12. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Keep looking, dry western bodies are not that hard to find even in this day and age. That one is a heart breaker for sure.

13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rufus Ranch in Brainerd, MN isn't that far away from you. Look at their website. You might do a lot better there.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  14. Pass it by. Even if you are highly skilled at bodywork, look for something better.

15. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

In person, it’s crusty here and there but some spots it’s real good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patmanta likes this.
  16. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

idk how the heck i missed this! ive never heard of them!

17. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

man hes got some nice deals on stuff. rollers. for not bad prices and shit, a weekend of work i could probbaly have something that would move under its own power, sit on a cinder block and drive it around the driveway lol

18. I think he's long on prices.

19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I suppose I don’t really know the going rate.

20. Build it! Keep looking for the rear corner and you'll find one. You'll also find a windshield frame, dash and garnish mouldings at swap meets. All the patch panels you need are available at reasonable prices.

46international and Jim Lato like this.
  21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I do got the windshield frame and front end stuff, steering arms and axle. Dash stuff I haven’t collected on yet.

22. alchemy

alchemy

If you buy that body send me a PM. I'm pretty sure I have a couple roof tops that could be used to repair it.

patmanta and Jim Lato like this.
  23. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

hey thanks man, this fella up in MN has one for 300 but dang its kinda rough, and preferably like the ones with the
    smaller window in the quarter, i thnk they are the coupes?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. alchemy

alchemy

Coupes and sedans. Apples and oranges. But check out that Vicky in the background!

The37Kid, patmanta and Jim Lato like this.
  25. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

he wants 3600 for this one
    [​IMG]

26. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

that vicky is AWESOME!!! i never seen one before!

27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

28. alchemy

alchemy

Now you're talking! But beware, Model A Vickies have a lot of wood in them.

29. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You would be safe around the $500 +/- range. You could make a nice coupester out of that pretty quick and sell ovv the good bits of the roof to someone who's got rot in the spots yours does not.

A 35/36 windshield actually lines up pretty close on a model A cowl last time I checked my pile. I have also seen the whole roof grafted on to @kasselyn29 's land speed tub.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/twisted-drill-special-lsr-build.629189/

Here is some inspiration on coupesters:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/calling-all-coupesters-lets-see-em.945002/

46international likes this.