Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 line master cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hath, Sep 17, 2018.

1. hath

hath

1. Does anyone know of a 3 line master cylinder on the market? Or

2. Can you safely tee off of a 2 line MS?

3. Do you think you can bore into a MS to install a non pressurized line that feeds an electric brake pump?

I ask because mine gave up the ghost, they don't sell rebuild kits for it, but it is a very unique configuration. They want like $500 to replace just the MC.

Here's my system.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a few FOUR line master cylinders. You just plug the ones you don't need.

Yes, you can safely tee, as long as you use double-flare steel, or stainless steel lines.

I don't follow on the electric brake pump line issue. Can you post a picture?

3. squirrel

squirrel

picture would be nice...yeah, it can be challenging to get pictures to show up here, but it's not really that difficult. just use the "upload a file" button, and make sure the image file is not huge.

4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

:D

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CPP Corvette style master cylinders have ports on both sides:
    [​IMG]
    You can see one sticking out the other side, in the front. The casting has bilateral symmetry.

I run one in my Falcon, because coming out the "conventional" side would have made for a very difficult installation

6. hath

hath

Here's what I've got

Attached Files:

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is an internal hydraulic assist system. You cannot use any other master cylinder but the one that they sell.

This has a hydraulic pump that takes fluid from the reservoir, and pumps it, when you push the pedal, against a piston that is inside the master cylinder. This is the hydraulic assist. The other two lines are just the front and rear circuits.

Switching to a multi-line master cylinder will not work the way you want it to.

Hnstray, 57 Fargo and Johnny Gee like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

if you don't need power assist, you could probably replace the master cylinder with a 1-ish inch bore normal two line master cylinder.

like most modern traditional hot rods use.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  9. Actually, the pump charges the accumulator, and that supplies the boost pressure. And if you think the master is expensive, wait until the pump goes TU.....

But just because you can't buy a rebuild kit, doesn't mean it can't be rebuilt. I'd disassemble it first and see what the issue is, and if it's just seals, check with a hydraulic supply. They may be able to fix you up...

Hnstray likes this.