Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Do 100% of hambers clean crusty parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Does everyone on here,absolutely 100% clean,derust,degrease and paint their axles,frames etc while building a project?

Or are there any grease and new seal bearing slap jobs that look good on here?
    I dont want to degrease my axles or wire wheel my next batch of parts..
    Call me lazy or whatever.
    This will be a budget build and 600+ to sandblast seems a bit much..
    Degrease and wire wheel seems like a good idea but not to my neighbors nor my gf.

My coe running gear is clean and painted but i lived in the middle of nowhere and i could just make a mess.
    Ideas?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like a clean undercarriage. :rolleyes:

dana barlow likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

depends which build it is.

The Edsel got the easy stuff cleaned off, and nothing more.

engine in.jpg

The Funny Car got it (almost!) all looking brand new.

019-hot-rod-drag-week-1966-barracuda.jpg

akoutlaw, dana barlow, Stooge and 5 others like this.

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yeah, I clean up everything.
    A. it looks better when done
    B. its easier to find new leaks
    C. I hate working on dirty shit

5. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

No Rust Or Crude Allowed...Period... 21248487_1892237281100544_3801638008269377160_o.jpg

akoutlaw, dana barlow, 40LUV and 7 others like this.
  6. Yes and no.
    I have done both show car magazine stuff and rustoleum restos

Just depends. They are always mechanically sound

Current build will be a super clean chassis with an old rusty body on it

Nostrebor and Hnstray like this.
  7. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Call me O.C.D., I cannot touch a part I remove from a car without wire wheeling it and painting it with at least Rustoleum primer. It makes the next time you need to service the part so much easier and cleaner.

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I agree, it depends on the application.

My builder now is going to be a driver so it will be wire brushed and primed and painted but not much more than that.

9. What he said x2

dana barlow and CudaChick1968 like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm NOT an organized or neat person, but I want to work on neat clean parts. It all started at the fist shop I ever hung around, and was able to work on my own stuff. It drives me nuts when someone says "Good enough nobody will ever see it!" Really? Remember that when it comes time to sell it, it will be the first thing the potential buy will see. Bob

11. Yes I clean everything, even the parts I am going to sell at the swapmeet.
    Why would you want to handle and work around dirty greasy parts?

My 53 Chevy is just a driver but I wash and jack it up rinse the undercarriage every time I drive it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    clem, loudbang, LOU WELLS and 4 others like this.
  12. OK,you ask for it, Lazy or whatever.

I want everything clean when I'm building. HRP

13. I always clean anything removed while working on or building something. How extra finished depending on the desired end result. I wire wheel a lot. Also fan of anti sieze when assembling. Ever notice no matter how careful you are the anti sieze will still get on other areas and need cleaning?

14. Function over form there Pal....... If you can live with what it is, but trustworthy.........Then go for it.
    A lot of peep's are different. Mechanical first, bling second.....;)

LOU WELLS, RMR&C and partsdawg like this.
  15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Do I clean and paint stuff for a swap meet?
    No.
    Do I clean,paint, pimp items for online sales?
    No
    Do I get less because the parts are dirty?
    Not enough to justify the time spent.
    Do I clean,wire wheel,paint items on a build?
    Not much . I don’t believe it’s being lazy I look at more of a I don’t care. I don’t have OCD or a desire to have a car so clean it looks to be a trailer Queen. Anyone who wants/ needs that is fine by me just don’t categorize those who don’t want that as lazy.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

On my daily driver absolutely not, dont give a damn as long as it runs. On all my old cars that I love I absolutely clean up, strip and paint everything that I work on. That's just part of it for me, I like doing it that way.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  17. it will never be cheaper than NOW to do it.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

... That (lol), and since ya live in the sticks, who gives a $hit what the neighbors think?

Part of the reason my avatar car took so long was echoed above. I couldn't see fixing one thing only to attach it to something else that needed a clean up.

These days I clean other people's parts, and they're just as much fun to work on as my own are. :D

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  20. Build it however you want Seth. If you can't see those crusty parts, I wouldn't get too excited about them.

21. lake_harley

lake_harley

$600 to sandblast....is that a price for almost everything on the build? I paid $100 to get the frame, front and rear axles blasted when I had my T apart for paint. The smaller parts I cleaned up at home in my parts washer and blast cabinet. Maybe you could do something similar, just have the large parts done by someone else, and invest in a parts washer and blast cabinet......and then you'll have it for many years of use. Horrible Freight probably has something to fit your budget for a home shop. I don't regret buying tools. They're almost always "the handiest thing I ever bought".......until I get another tool or gadget.

Lynn

22. The TP Tools 970 blast cabinet is one of the handiest tools that Dad and I have. It will take parts that are more than four feet long and will fit a 28” diameter rear tractor wheel. Tailgates are no problem. That combined with the John Deere pressure washer, there are no crusty parts that we work on.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  23. Thanks mang!¡
    The only thing in this build(so far),is the engine.

Very true...everything is apart and easy to move around but 600 can go a long ways on a coe that is screaming for a gas tank

No..this one is keeper.
    She helps with projects,she strong like tractor and she also buys parts for my hobby...i just dont want to covwr everything with old grease dust..

Used to live in the sticks

Thanks man.
    The parts in question are frame,axles and brakes in an open wheel car.

Guy quoted me
    100 for axle
    100 for half a frame
    100 for rear end.
    I figured 300 for new small compressor and sanblasting cabinet sand paint etc.

24. Hell,the price for that cabinet is my budget for this build...

squirrel and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  25. Yes, I like it clean!
    [​IMG]

26. X-cpe

X-cpe

That's the problem with cleaning one part. It makes everything that was OK before look bad in comparison.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  27. adam401

adam401

The flathead in my car still has the blood from the knuckles of the original assembly line worker who bolted it together. I clean very little.

williebill likes this.
  28. gene-koning

gene-koning

I will clean up the stuff I am working on, but if I'm not going to work on area on a vehicle, I tend to leave it alone. I build drivers that get driven in nearly every weather condition. At 8,000 - 10,000 miles a year, pretty tends to be a short lived occurrence. I go for function over form every time.
    My shop is a commercial location, but everything around it is residential. I have to be concerned about what my neighbors think if I want to work here in peace. There is not room here for a blast cabinet, and I wouldn't buy one at this stage in my life if there was. Time has a way of modifying priorities. Gene

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If it shows, like in the engine bay, yeah, I clean and paint everything. Underneath, well, I clean some and shoot black rattle can because you can’t see under there anyway unless you’re laying on the ground. On an open wheeled car I’d treat it like an engine bay, if it shows, it gets cleaned good and painted. Clean underneath is for trailer queens, my cars are drivers so they get dirty. But I can’t stand oil and grease everywhere, that has to be cleaned off.

Slow down and CudaChick1968 like this.